Training Talk Thread

Tiggy

The other thing I don't do is bath the dogs prior to a trial.

I think mine get bathed once a year, around Xmas Eve :crossfingers: Though I did bath Ruby once before a trial and hair was flying everywhere during SFE :crossfingers: But if you're talking from an itch point of view, totally agree, don't need them stopping midway heelwork to have a scratch (which has happened to me a few times!)

• Replies 7.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yep my dogs can be itchier after bathing so won't do it the day before. 2 days before gives the itches time to settle.

:crossfingers: Lol I do the dermatologically approved bath :crossfingers: , only a light lather and always in the same direction as the fur grows, we got into trouble as we were too rough when we bathed Mason :thumbsup:

Bathing makes no difference here Mason is just always itchy, its sad really

I've had Ruby stop and scratch at her collar midway heelwork. Mine don't wear collars at home, only when training/trialling or general outings. But Ruby is just spethal, she also stopped to play with a moth that landed on her :thumbsup:

:crossfingers: Yes, I'm going to have to proof "heeling with butterflies" for Little Em! Dog help us if she gets dive bombed by a bird :crossfingers:

I've had Ruby stop and scratch at her collar midway heelwork. Mine don't wear collars at home, only when training/trialling or general outings. But Ruby is just spethal, she also stopped to play with a moth that landed on her :thumbsup:

:crossfingers: Yes, I'm going to have to proof "heeling with butterflies" for Little Em! Dog help us if she gets dive bombed by a bird :crossfingers:

At a trial held at our club recently a huge flock of corella's landed on the field right near the rings - that would be my dog gone!!

I am always a bit concerned if the judge has markers on the ground. Poppy loves to target :crossfingers: :crossfingers: The other day whilst in a heeling pattern she also felt the need to go and practice her 2o2o on the bits of broad jump that were stacked in the ring. The non-agility judge was very bemused and asked 'what the hell was that for?' :thumbsup:

At the Western Classic a few years ago during open down stays a duck landed in the ring and was wandering around behind the dogs. We were behind a building so luckily saw none of this, but the judge was full of praise for all the dogs when we returned.

For the record none of them moved.

So much for having duck dogs hey!

I've had Ruby stop and scratch at her collar midway heelwork. Mine don't wear collars at home, only when training/trialling or general outings. But Ruby is just spethal, she also stopped to play with a moth that landed on her :o

:laugh: Yes, I'm going to have to proof "heeling with butterflies" for Little Em! Dog help us if she gets dive bombed by a bird :(

At a trial held at our club recently a huge flock of corella's landed on the field right near the rings - that would be my dog gone!!

Millie = :)

:( I think I can trump the ducks - we have possums at training that deliberately love to run in front of the dogs while they are doing stays :laugh: . Neither of mine have touch wood ever bothered with them but I can assure you others have :) .

:( I think I can trump the ducks - we have possums at training that deliberately love to run in front of the dogs while they are doing stays :laugh: . Neither of mine have touch wood ever bothered with them but I can assure you others have :) .

Mine would want to go and say hello :o

How do you train drop on recall? Thought this may be something we can add to our box of tricks

:o I think I can trump the ducks - we have possums at training that deliberately love to run in front of the dogs while they are doing stays :laugh: . Neither of mine have touch wood ever bothered with them but I can assure you others have :) .

Mine would want to go and say hello :laugh:

How do you train drop on recall? Thought this may be something we can add to our box of tricks

Love it ness :( I think Emmy would explode with excitement!

Mason, I train the drop whilst Zig is running free at the park, especially when he is running flat out. Also with the 2 food game for fast drops. I did an actual drop on recall for the first time last week and he nailed it. Don't overdo the actual drop on recall as the dog tends to preempt the drop and comes in slowly.

No training the day of the trial...hopefully all your training is in place and he knows what to do! :laugh: I feed breakfast as per normal but if its a night trial he will get his dinner by way of jackpots after the ring work.

For those who do obedience trials, say for eg you are doing a night trial, would you do any work with that dog in the morning? Would you feed it breakfast etc? Just interested to hear what other people do....

No training the day of the trial...hopefully all your training is in place and he knows what to do! :) I feed breakfast as per normal but if its a night trial he will get his dinner by way of jackpots after the ring work.
For those who do obedience trials, say for eg you are doing a night trial, would you do any work with that dog in the morning? Would you feed it breakfast etc? Just interested to hear what other people do....

Yes I am going to use dinner as his jackpot :laugh:

Yep- i am wanting him not to move on the marker word- makes sense now! :(

Ososwift- how do you end the exercise if the dog has done an average job that you don't want to click/ treat for?

rubystar- thats what i do with the release, but wanting to know how those who do use the click to end the exercise would do it : )

If they are really lousy they get a NRM such as uhoh or, try again. If I am telling them we have finished work they get given their release word. If was doing say a sit and it was crooked I would heel off and do the sit again. Does that make sense?

So when you train, does the no reward mark that you give end the exercise and you start again? Or does the no reward mark mean try again within the same exercise if that makes sense?

It is different to what i am used to so just trying to understand it. :(

If you did a sit and it was crooked and you didn't want want to heel would you NRM?

To answer the trial day procedure question- for me it would depend on the dog. One of mine would be better to have no training for 2-3 days before a trial, the boys would do better with little training sessions the day before. I wouldn't feed in the morning- but i don't usually anyway.

So when you train, does the no reward mark that you give end the exercise and you start again? Or does the no reward mark mean try again within the same exercise if that makes sense?

If you did a sit and it was crooked and you didn't want want to heel would you NRM?

To answer the trial day procedure question- for me it would depend on the dog. One of mine would be better to have no training for 2-3 days before a trial, the boys would do better with little training sessions the day before. I wouldn't feed in the morning- but i don't usually anyway.

I am no training expert but what I do is if the exercise is done wrong I use the NRM and then repeat the exercise and he usually then puts in a better effort.

Generally I would give a NRM and then do the exercise again.

If a sit is what I was after it may be one step of heel then the sit again. If for some reason it was going very badly and just wasn't happening I may ask for something I know they can do really well, reward that and then stop training and try and figure out what is going on.

I do luring at times, so if the sit was really going to pot and the NRM was stressing them I would lure them into the correct position to help them to get it right so I can reward them.

If the sit was crooked I would probably ignore it(with my dogs that can quite often be enough to get them to try harder) take a step or two forward and then reward the next sit(if it was good enough). If the second sit was also not good enough I would NRm and try again. Usually when I do use a NRM they do it correctly, If that was also not go enough I would lure to help them to success and therefore get a reward and then figure why they were not understanding what I was asking.

At this point in my dogs training they work for longer periods for one reward and I make sure that reward only comes after something perfect. Is I could be doing a small amount of heeling with some positions. The reward may come after a really fast speccy drop, or a perfect position in the heel.