Training Talk Thread

Tiggy

:D about the non-retrieving BCs Jules. My dear departed Fergus never did 'get it' - in all his 6 years - used the SC method, and he would pick up the db - but could never master the difficult art of holding the db in his mouth and walking forwards, bless him.

Rory on the other hand, if I don't break it :laugh: , has developed into a natural and happy retriever. He's always loved to carry toys around, and after a few days of SC, suddenly seemed to decide that he knew how to do a forma retrieve. (Winpara, do you secretly train them before they come. :) ). And we've been playing with retrieving the UD articles, but I might have to get some knurled metal ones, because the smooth ones slip out of his slaggy mouth when he gets warm. :(

• Replies 7.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

:D Yes, you can! ;)

I trained the first boy, Sam, by just teasing him with the db and enticing him to grab it while it was in my hand and I was running away and playing with it. Once he realised he could grab it, he seemed to 'get it' - but then he did retrieve balls and frisbees - or at least ran after them and brought them fairly near. I actually don't remember how I got the present - it was quite a long time ago, in the days of traditional training.

Kirra has a lovely informal retrieve - very reliable about bringing things back, and loves to tug. Pity she doesn't believe in "obedience" as a discipline :)

OK on a roll now.......

Is he too far forward, making it hard for you to actually do a LAT?

and

Try turning your head in the direction you are turning its like putting an indicator on and gives the dog a clue which way you are heading.

I always do the head turn but the lady I train with said she got marked down for doing a head turn before the actual turn so now I am a bit worried about this? I dont think he is too far forward I think maybe I was doing my turns inconsistently ( ie not always with the same foot) so now I always move my left foot first for the LAT and the right one for the RAT. What i did today ( suggested by S last night) is put my phone book down, heel up to it and do the LAT while he is on the phone book to teach him that he must swing around with the back feet. She also suggested teaching it in slow pace which i never did to start with so I may have confused him. Everything else is going well and hopefully the show n go goes well on Wed :)

OK on a roll now.......

Is he too far forward, making it hard for you to actually do a LAT?

and

Try turning your head in the direction you are turning its like putting an indicator on and gives the dog a clue which way you are heading.

I always do the head turn but the lady I train with said she got marked down for doing a head turn before the actual turn so now I am a bit worried about this? I dont think he is too far forward I think maybe I was doing my turns inconsistently ( ie not always with the same foot) so now I always move my left foot first for the LAT and the right one for the RAT. What i did today ( suggested by S last night) is put my phone book down, heel up to it and do the LAT while he is on the phone book to teach him that he must swing around with the back feet. She also suggested teaching it in slow pace which i never did to start with so I may have confused him. Everything else is going well and hopefully the show n go goes well on Wed ;)

:) Knew the gurus would help you :D Good luck with the show n go.

ET fix typo

Edited by Tassie

Poo. Bugger. Grrrr. :rofl:

Does anyone think it would be rude if I didn't turn up to the reception of a wedding I'm attending that day because there is an obedience trial on that night? :) :)

It's the last night time obedience trial until the end of the year and I'm going to have to miss it!! ;) There doesn't seem to be many/enough night time trials and I missed some already so I'm bummed! I will have only officially entered 2 night time obedience trials this "season" plus 1 NFC trial before having to go back to day time ones, that's pitiful :o I loathe day time trials. :rofl::rofl:

Poo. Bugger. Grrrr. :(

Does anyone think it would be rude if I didn't turn up to the reception of a wedding I'm attending that day because there is an obedience trial on that night? :hug::cheer:

It's the last night time obedience trial until the end of the year and I'm going to have to miss it!! :laugh: There doesn't seem to be many/enough night time trials and I missed some already so I'm bummed! I will have only officially entered 2 night time obedience trials this "season" plus 1 NFC trial before having to go back to day time ones, that's pitiful :hug: I loathe day time trials. :cheer::hug:

Nope, just tell the people u can only attend the ceremony.

ETA if it was close friends I would skip the trial and attend but if it was not such close friends then I would do the trial. Also have you RSVP-ed yet and now need to change your RSVP? If you have not RSVP-ed yet then that would be ok, however if you have it may seem a bit rude to now change it.

Edited by Mason2009

Here is my foster puppy Greg's 3rd training session. I have only had him since late Thursday night- what a clever little pup he is!! I think i will have to find him a 'training' home.

Greg is pretty cute. Were did he come from? I saw a very similar puppy yesterday at Croydon.

Interesting that you mark touching but not sitting?

Poo. Bugger. Grrrr. :cheer:

Does anyone think it would be rude if I didn't turn up to the reception of a wedding I'm attending that day because there is an obedience trial on that night? :hug::)

It's the last night time obedience trial until the end of the year and I'm going to have to miss it!! :( There doesn't seem to be many/enough night time trials and I missed some already so I'm bummed! I will have only officially entered 2 night time obedience trials this "season" plus 1 NFC trial before having to go back to day time ones, that's pitiful :hug: I loathe day time trials. :):cheer:

Nope, just tell the people u can only attend the ceremony.

ETA if it was close friends I would skip the trial and attend but if it was not such close friends then I would do the trial. Also have you RSVP-ed yet and now need to change your RSVP? If you have not RSVP-ed yet then that would be ok, however if you have it may seem a bit rude to now change it.

:hug: No I'll be going. As much as I love trialling and am dog obsessed, I do recognise when a certain behaviour would be classed as extreme (ie. skipping a wedding reception to go to a trial :laugh:) Just highly bummed is all!!! Love night time trials :)

Here is my foster puppy Greg's 3rd training session. I have only had him since late Thursday night- what a clever little pup he is!! I think i will have to find him a 'training' home.

Greg is pretty cute. Were did he come from? I saw a very similar puppy yesterday at Croydon.

Interesting that you mark touching but not sitting?

I thought the same. I would have thought you'd need to teach the sit and the free separately? I do like the fact that you wait a bit before rewarding for a sit so you're introducing a maintain criteria to start with, but then he was freed off without being rewarded for the sit? Just wondering what the reason is, Cosmolo? (genuine question, trying to learn how people do things ;))

Hi, I need some trialling info from people that trial in obedience.

I am doing my first trial on 4 March, what do I do when I get there? AT club trials we walk up to the table, get our number, our name is ticked on a list and bitches get vetted. Is it basically the same for a real trial?

I am doing my first trial on 4 March, what do I do when I get there? AT club trials we walk up to the table, get our number, our name is ticked on a list and bitches get vetted. Is it basically the same for a real trial?

Pretty much. Walk up to the window in the building on the lower oval, get your number and catalogue, and that is it for you! (Lucky you, it's a pain getting the girls vetted even though they're both sterilised!)

Walk Mason around to toilet, then put him back in his crate to rest. You don't want him worn out before he goes into the ring!

Pretty much. Walk up to the window in the building on the lower oval, get your number and catalogue, and that is it for you! (Lucky you, it's a pain getting the girls vetted even though they're both sterilised!)

Walk Mason around to toilet, then put him back in his crate to rest. You don't want him worn out before he goes into the ring!

I will probably go early and let him have a look around, if i dont he will be too distracted and unsettled. Will be down on wed night for the show n go.

I will probably go early and let him have a look around, if i dont he will be too distracted and unsettled. Will be down on wed night for the show n go.

Good idea, I forget you don't train there :hug: Bring his cool coat - if it's anything like last year's WC :hug: I was wearing thongs til just about due in the ring it was so bloomin' hot!!

Good idea, I forget you don't train there :laugh: Bring his cool coat - if it's anything like last year's WC :hug: I was wearing thongs til just about due in the ring it was so bloomin' hot!!

Yes I remember how hot it was :hug: I will bring his coat, he can wear it until he goes in the ring. Hope its not a stinker

Yes I remember how hot it was :laugh: I will bring his coat, he can wear it until he goes in the ring. Hope its not a stinker

I remember the heat too - Ruby was on an awesome score, then proceeded to blow her Q by laying down in the sit stay :hug: <-- I literally did that, and probably a bit too loudly so the other competitors heard :hug:

Yes I remember how hot it was :) I will bring his coat, he can wear it until he goes in the ring. Hope its not a stinker

I remember the heat too - Ruby was on an awesome score, then proceeded to blow her Q by laying down in the sit stay :thumbsup: <-- I literally did that, and probably a bit too loudly so the other competitors heard :laugh:

I am hoping that Mason does not lay down!!!

Thanks Jules, he is being fostered through Pug Rescue. He isn't ready for me to mark sitting as yet without getting up so i prefer to get the release in and reward after that. As soon as his sits are a little more reliable and he understands the release word, i'll start marking his sits.

Thats a shame Rubystar! But i'd still go to the reception too :thumbsup:

I am interetsed as well Cos and certainly not having a go, but I would have got the sit and given a click and treat with him being able to move after the click as that is the end of the exercise.

If I wanted the sit to last for longer I would withold the click for a short period.

Do you not mark the sit until he can hold the sit for longer or until he won't move after you have given the marker word?

I don't want the marker to end the exercise. I understand that many people do train with this as the goal but the reason why i don't is because i want to be able to build up duration for stays or heeling etc whilst using my marker word without ending the exercise. Just a different way to do it that works for me. :rofl: So i prefer to introduce the marker word for an exercise that does not require a release to start with and then go from there.

I am having a brain blank- i don't understand your last question OsoSwift? :rofl:

ETA I hope the above makes sense!

Edited by Cosmolo