Training Talk Thread

Tiggy

Not sure what others think but i would put the dumbell on the ground and leave it there. I wouldn't keep moving it around and i'd continue to free shape from there. I don't think there is enough value on the dumbell as yet and i think getting her moving (over to the dumbell) would aid in this. Then you can click and throw the food away from the dumbell, to set her up for another repetition. I think this creates a much more independent dumbell retrieve too- you won't have to fade out other body cues from you but it will take longer initially. I think you need a much harder, faster nose touch before you think about her putting her mouth around it.

I wouldn't touch her either- one of my dogs is the same- although she may tolerate it at other times, there is no way she would accept it while we're shaping.

mmm stronger nose touch-OK more food for thought

• Replies 7.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have been using Shirley Chong's dumbell training with Cindy for the last 2 weeks.

She will not mouth it at all! I am not c/t any contact unless it is the mouth. If I hold off the c/t and wit for her to take it she starts offering other behaviours-sit, drop, stand and then just gets confused.

Any ideas greatly appreciated.

Have you done all the initial steps???

Yes-to the letter. She just rarely mouths any toys apart from tugs. She noses kongs etc.

Can you video your next session?

Well finally I have a video. Any help would be greatly appreciated. She is targetting the dumbell with her nose but not taking it. I now only reward when she touches the bar.

As other people have said, your timing is an issue :D

I would just forget the dumbell for now and just go and shape her doing something very simple...it will help your timing and help her confidence.

Can you shape her sitting in a cardboard box???

I have told this many a time to trialling people...just go and shape a trick....learn the mechanics of shaping and you'll find teaching the "tricks" in obedience very easy :)

I'm not sure that all agree with that, but I do :p Everyone just seems in a hurry to teach Obedience exercises but if you work on the basics, then the harder stuff just flows.

She shapes great standing on a box. I just have to get it out and she is up no problems. And I just worked out how I taught her that in comparison.

Gosh what a nuff nuff handler!

Thanks so much everyone.

Not sure what others think but i would put the dumbell on the ground and leave it there. I wouldn't keep moving it around and i'd continue to free shape from there. I don't think there is enough value on the dumbell as yet and i think getting her moving (over to the dumbell) would aid in this. Then you can click and throw the food away from the dumbell, to set her up for another repetition. I think this creates a much more independent dumbell retrieve too- you won't have to fade out other body cues from you but it will take longer initially. I think you need a much harder, faster nose touch before you think about her putting her mouth around it.

I wouldn't touch her either- one of my dogs is the same- although she may tolerate it at other times, there is no way she would accept it while we're shaping.

I would do it this way too, but then my dogs are very high drive & are very turned on by free shaping, with a lower drive dog &/or one who isn't experienced at free shaping it would probably be more difficult. :shaping:

I also agree about patting, Jarrah is the same.

Sue & Cindy, I can't even get my low drive dog (the one I don't do obedience with for this very reason) to look at the dumbell, so you are doing well and will get there eventually ;)

Edited by wuffles

Yippee!!!! I am so happy My little Gabby has finally worked out how to do the seekback with the decoy and pick up the correct one instead of giving my scent the evil eye and going to the decoy yippee and our heelwork in motion she is doing them consistently and so her multi retrieve. We might just make it to the trial ring :champagne:

Yippee!!!! I am so happy My little Gabby has finally worked out how to do the seekback with the decoy and pick up the correct one instead of giving my scent the evil eye and going to the decoy yippee and our heelwork in motion she is doing them consistently and so her multi retrieve. We might just make it to the trial ring :)

Happy to celebrate with you Xena98 but let me warn you - just when they get it - something else goes pearshaped :rofl:

Buts its a tremendous feeling anyway - so make the most of it :rofl:

Ptolomy I know all about it. This seekback had been a killer for about 6 months. She had been doing it nicely with the metal articles (had problems with Xena on wood and leather but she was good on metal). Gabby had done really well for quite a long time and than all of a sudden my smell was poison (which Xena did as well) dont know what happened there and have had a battle since. I tried something different and it worked (now for how long lol) but yep my towels are stuffed so we are working on that one as well and they were perfect found they were the easiset to teach oh well like I said she may soon be in a trial I hope

I really wanna brag, but I don't know where to do it. ;)

Erik has just about mastered the logs that border the horse rings at our dog park! He can now walk along them with four feet, walk along with just front feet on, walk along with one back foot off, sit on them, down on them, balance on top perpendicular, stand with his back feet on top and his front feet on the ground, balance on top then put his front feet down and then put his front feet back up again without falling off, and yesterday he was backing his back feet up onto the log from the ground one at a time. It was gorgeous! Just because he always has to go one step further, he backed his back feet onto the log, then brought his front feet up as well.

I am not sure what the significance of all of this is or why I should be so excited about it. While I'm messing around with logs, his agility training still needs a lot of work! I just never realised how much fun logs could be. ;) Kivi wanted to join in and yesterday for a brief moment got all four feet on the log. His balance was terrible! Poor Kivi. :clap: We will need to practice a lot.

I would like some tips on training left about turns, my dog can do them but they are not the neatest, would like some ideas on how everyone else trains there dog to do them neatly. I know hind end awareness is Important and we do some exercises for this but the prob is my dog wont relate those exercises to when we are doing LAT's.

Also in a trial if you are asked to halt, stand, drop your dog, each time you begin heeling again can you give the heel command or is your dog expected to just follow along?

I would like some tips on training left about turns, my dog can do them but they are not the neatest, would like some ideas on how everyone else trains there dog to do them neatly. I know hind end awareness is Important and we do some exercises for this but the prob is my dog wont relate those exercises to when we are doing LAT's.

Also in a trial if you are asked to halt, stand, drop your dog, each time you begin heeling again can you give the heel command or is your dog expected to just follow along?

Do you do the perch box rear end awareness stuff - on the phone book or paver or something like that - I'd keep doing it - and then try to transfer straight to a LAT on the ground - rewarding for any sideways movement of rear fett while keeping head and feet in heel position. But your gurus over there will be able to show you.

And yes, you are allowed to give heel cue and/or signal each time you move off from sany stationary position - but the dog's name can only be used at the start of the heeling exercise - or any exercise (except recall, where the name and a pause can be used before you cue/signal the come.

OK on a roll now.......

Is he too far forward, making it hard for you to actually do a LAT?

and

Try turning your head in the direction you are turning its like putting an indicator on and gives the dog a clue which way you are heading.

Just kill me now - another border that doesn't want to retrieve! arrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Doing the SC but it is going to be slow and she is showing no inclination to run after any thrown toy.

Not sure I have the drive to go through this again! Next time I get a puppy please remind me to take some toys along to puppy picking!

Her brother got returned as he went to a home for doing frisbee and wouldn't play with toys so I am not sure if it is my fault or not. Might start a thread on it.

Hmm JulesP at least yours flat out refuses to retrieve - try the frustration factor when you have a dog who retrieves 99% of objects without hesitation but is back to going stuff you I am not picking up the metal no matter what you offer.

Well ok not quite that bad but she went from retrieving the frigging thing to laying down alongside the correct scent article :) .

Ah well we are on day 3 of metal 101 and the stakes are high :D .

The throwing comes at the end of the SC method so I wouldn't be too concerned just yet. Many dogs learn to enjoy the retrieve when taught positively even though they don't have an innate desire hard wired in. Will she play tuggy? You can clicker train that too if you need to...I know because I did it with my non-tugging dog who now loves his tuggy!

Just kill me now - another border that doesn't want to retrieve! arrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Doing the SC but it is going to be slow and she is showing no inclination to run after any thrown toy.

Not sure I have the drive to go through this again! Next time I get a puppy please remind me to take some toys along to puppy picking!

Her brother got returned as he went to a home for doing frisbee and wouldn't play with toys so I am not sure if it is my fault or not. Might start a thread on it.

I know bedazzledx2 but it would be nice to just umm chuck a item and have the dog merrily go after it for once.

I did SC with Poppy and she does a formal retrieve quite merrily. She thinks that is a good game now. Her retrieving is restricted to dumbells though. If I don't watch her she will also pinch other people's dumbells!!

I have trained a dog with no desire to go get anything and bring it back and one who brings anything back. Even though it took longer the non-retrieving dog was rock solid in her retrieves as she had learned each microstep of the way. The oh yep no problmes I will get anything dog can be a little hit and miss sometimes but we are working on it :D