Training Talk Thread

Tiggy

• Replies 7.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Huge congrats .... all that hard work and dedicated training paid off in spades!!! Well done!!! having a little drinkies here to celebrate Moo's 1st UDX quallie!!! WTG ;)

Have to say I was really pleased with Brookie's efforts tonight...no training other than UDX (which he's way not ready for) and he nailed Open and only dropped 2 points in UD until he confused gloves with the cloths and dropped it on the way in and turned around to go look for the 'right' one...shite!!!!

First obedience trial for the year this weekend and I have decided to jump in with both feet......

UDX, UD and open with Scoota :eek::eek:

and

Open with Beans :eek:

Think all three of us should have a fried brain by the end of it.

Have just opened a popping bottle and sharing BBQ chips with the kids :eek: because WE ARE CELEBRATING :thumbsup:

Scoota's first UDX pass :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup: with 196

A pass in UD with 196

A second to Brookie on a countback in open with 195

and a third place in open behind Brookie and Moo for Beans

Boy am I a happy girl :rofl:

Well Ella came out of season earlier than expected so I decided to toddle off to the trial I'd entered last night not expecting much. The weather was foul - hot and something like 97% humidity so it was not pleasant, very few dogs worked well and I wasn't expected much from Ella who's had very little training in the last couple of months. Well she proved me wrong and gave me her best round ever! We got our first OC leg, and to top it off we won the ring with 197 - our best score to date!! ;) :thumbsup: Still grinning this morning!

Well done Ptolomy - Scoota must have been on fire last night - a 196 in UDX in only his second attempt is absolutely brilliant. Well done on going 3 from 3 and also with Beans passing open.

Well done Bedazzledx2 with Brooklyn. He is such a good boy.

Fantastic news Seita and Ella. Nice when they pull out the unexpected.

Great start to 2011 everybody and I wish you all the best for the rest of the year ;) .

Well Ella came out of season earlier than expected so I decided to toddle off to the trial I'd entered last night not expecting much. The weather was foul - hot and something like 97% humidity so it was not pleasant, very few dogs worked well and I wasn't expected much from Ella who's had very little training in the last couple of months. Well she proved me wrong and gave me her best round ever! We got our first OC leg, and to top it off we won the ring with 197 - our best score to date!! ;) :thumbsup: Still grinning this morning!

What a way to start the year. Congratulations and well done Ella

See you guys at Metro

Congratulations!! ;) O Ch just around the corner me thinks!!!

Well Ella came out of season earlier than expected so I decided to toddle off to the trial I'd entered last night not expecting much. The weather was foul - hot and something like 97% humidity so it was not pleasant, very few dogs worked well and I wasn't expected much from Ella who's had very little training in the last couple of months. Well she proved me wrong and gave me her best round ever! We got our first OC leg, and to top it off we won the ring with 197 - our best score to date!! :thumbsup::thumbsup: Still grinning this morning!

Seita, great video! You and Ella are doing so well :laugh::)

Question though for the UD triallers. When doing scent discrimination, is the dog allowed to "peek" while your back is to the steward putting the article down? And are you allowed to talk to your dog at this point as the exercise might not have started? Not that I am anywhere near ready for trialling for UD (gotta get through Open first!) but it would be nice to know the things you're allowed to do/not allowed to do in advance for when I do some more UD training! Thanks :)

Edited by RubyStar

Question though for the UD triallers. When doing scent discrimination, is the dog allowed to "peek" while your back is to the steward putting the article down? And are you allowed to talk to your dog at this point as the exercise might not have started? Not that I am anywhere near ready for trialling for UD (gotta get through Open first!) but it would be nice to know the things you're allowed to do/not allowed to do in advance for when I do some more UD training! Thanks :)

You're not allowed to talk to your dog, as the exercise starts before you scent the article. But there is nothing in the rules that say the dog can't peek. I don't like that Ella peeks because I'm worried that she'll still be looking over her shoulder when the judge says about turn and she'll miss the command and this is something I'm working on with her

The judge will ask you 'are you ready?' before offering the article. Once you say 'yes' you are under judges orders and cannot speak to your dog without penalty. My kelpie used to peek and I always copped a point under certain judges. Their reasoning was that it wasn't perfect in their eyes. She was a cheeky bitch and I figured there was no point in hassling her over it.

:laugh: "cheeky bitch"

Thanks for the explanation, guys! One day when I practice scent a bit more I'll have to get someone to put us through like a trial, as so far I've only been doing it with me placing the article and trying to stop them peeking! (my throwing skills suck so throwing it into the pile doesn't usually have the desired outcome! :))

:laugh: "cheeky bitch"

Thanks for the explanation, guys! One day when I practice scent a bit more I'll have to get someone to put us through like a trial, as so far I've only been doing it with me placing the article and trying to stop them peeking! (my throwing skills suck so throwing it into the pile doesn't usually have the desired outcome! :) )

The judge on saturday night had the scent articles VERY close together and it was also very windy which made it a bit tougher for the dogs.

Moo sometimes peeks when they are putting the scent articles out, but I have to be honest and say it doesn't bother me.

Chockies tonight at training :)

I think I've been discouraging peeking because I want to be sure they're finding it via scent in the learning stages, instead of them sighting it and tricking me into thinking they know the scent game :laugh: But good to know "peeking" doesn't fail you or cost you a lot of points!

Mmmm chockies!!!! :)