Training Talk Thread

Tiggy

• Replies 7.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Can you use a coat for the heelwork etc part of your obedience and not the stays and visa versa, no coat for heelwork etc and have a coat on for stays??

I just want to make sure I get it right and not stuff it up :(

Edited by OSoSwift

Can you use a coat for the heelwork etc part of your obedience and not the stays and visa versa, no coat for heelwork etc and have a coat on for stays??

I just want to make sure I get it right and not stuff it up :(

Depends on the judge. Lots of judges will only let you use a coat if the dog wears it the whole time. Others don't mind if you take it off for stays, or vice versa. So you need to speak with the judge before you go into the ring. I usually speak to them before judging has started.

hahahaha well your no help to me are you.

I just am at a loss to understand how it can just completely disappear! I could handle slightly unsteady or move a foot or two, but completely break position and try to mug the judge!! SHe hasn't done that since she was young! I felt bad because I got so frustrated and growled at her, well you can figure out that combined with soft dog. So now back to square one and lots of sucking up on my behalf!

Lewis has kept his, wonder what he has lost in the five days it took me to get my voice back..........

Ok jokes aside - can you do a sfe on her? Will she stand still while you do one? What about will she stand still while a person walks around her but doesn't touch her?. Just go right back to basics and rebuild you have a little time and its worth it in the long run.

Edited by ness

Ok jokes aside - can you do a sfe on her? Will she stand still while you do one? What about will she stand still while a person walks around her but doesn't touch her?. Just go right back to basics and rebuild you have a little time and its worth it in the long run.

I can do a sfe and can dance around her and she doesn't move, although I have done this again tonight so I can give her a high level of reinforcement, she does seem happier thankfully.

I will try doing a SS's with someone else walking around her to reinforce that as well. I might give the actual SFE a miss next training session and do the stand stay instead. It almost like she knows she should but jsut cannot resist a pat from someone and just needs to tell them she loves them too! I like having a super friendly dog MOST of the time, but not all of the time!

You are right go back to basics and rebuild. And not get frustrated!!!

Hmm somethimes that is easier said than done :)

Don't forget the oppositional reflex stuff too - where you leave her in a stand, walk away and about turn and then gently pull on the lead. If she moves tell her too bad and put her back - if she stays there - then celebrate.

You can also put her in a stand and with you standing in front of her get some food and slowly edge it towards her - if she moves in an attempt to get it - the remove the food, put her back into a stand and try again. If she stands still and doesn;t move then she gets the food. You don't have to say anything with this one as actions speak louder than words.

make sure while you are doing these games you have a glass of red in your other hand (this is for you not her) :laugh:

Why not go back to a sit for exam? Start with someone walking around her and then going in and patting. Just stay in close and reward heavily. Gradually introduce the stand again.

Brilliant tips and help, thank you I knew you would help my frustrated brain cells.

Oh and I definately like the glass of red wine that will help with frustration nicely :laugh:

Caffy the sit for exam idea is great I will do that as well.

Have lots to work on. Thnak you, thank you, thank you :)

I use a medium for Brookie and his mouth is much bigger than the tollers!!!! I don't like dumbbells that are too big as they can wobble around and cause mouthing. Of course you can (and should :laugh:) train a solid hold on anything but hey!!!

Mason2009 my two Border Collie girls both use a medium. And I am pretty sure Ptolomy's toller kids use a medium.

So I would go for a large? Mason is a lot bigger than the tollers