Training Talk Thread

Tiggy

Straight sits were the last thing i was thinking about today- as my naughty Dexter went flying past me- twice and then took another 2 reps before we got a nice front. :( :D This is when its great to have multiple dogs- Gilbert's heeling was lovely today although i still think he is a touch in front- i will have to get some video and get everyone else's opinions. So much harder to tell with a little dog!

Edited by Cosmolo

• Replies 7.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Can you do a left turn with Gilbert Cosmolo? That is usually a good way of telling if the dog is too far in front when you are by yourself. Too far in front and you just can't turn sharply. A dog with super rear end awareness might be able to get out the way but usually it is 'shit my dog is in the way'.

A dog with super rear end awareness might be able to get out the way but usually it is 'shit my dog is in the way'.

And I've got a few of these on video :happydance:

Not on video (there weren't any then ;) ) but my first BC boy was a forger - and we didn't really know about rear end awareness in those days. His tactic for getting out of the way in a left turn was to do a round-the-back left turn - very slickly - used to make me laugh as I'd wonder whether judges would believe what they were seeing. :happydance2: He was still doing it in UD signal heeling. :champagne:

@ Tiggy - lovely keen boys there. Goodness the Bear man is growing fast :cheer:

A dog with super rear end awareness might be able to get out the way but usually it is 'shit my dog is in the way'.

And I've got a few of these on video :champagne:

Not on video (there weren't any then ;) ) but my first BC boy was a forger - and we didn't really know about rear end awareness in those days. His tactic for getting out of the way in a left turn was to do a round-the-back left turn - very slickly - used to make me laugh as I'd wonder whether judges would believe what they were seeing. :happydance2: He was still doing it in UD signal heeling. :cheer:

Kinda like the one displayed here? :happydance:

;) RS - yep - that's the one - except that Sam didn't even bother to look embarrassed - and of course, as a dog competing in UD, he had a very polished performance :happydance2::happydance: (You'd think I could have trained him out of it by then, wouldn't you. :champagne: )

It makes me feel caustrophobic and I noticed when you can see her from the back she is constantly veering slightly left from the dogs weight... would you even be allowed to go in an obedience ring here like that! surely since the dog is touching her leg so much and her arm touches his ears when she swings it that is double handling? :(

Looks like she is very focussed to me and while I wouldn't want my dogs head quite that high up I like the focus. The dog seems to be too close to the handler and it is almost like her touching her handler is a second signal.

It looks like Schutzhund to me as they have to walk with both hands free not in one spot like I would for obedience. I wouldn't like my dog to crowd that much.

Edited by OSoSwift