Training Talk Thread

Tiggy

Any method is only as good as the individual doing it :D

Oh, absolutely! But I didn't think it was rocket science - good to see how it can be done badly because most of the people I talk to online or at trials use it correctly. I hang out with good trainers :grouphug:

4 years of training beginners class and I know exactly how interestingly people can interrupt something. Some days I just want to say "WTF are you doing?"

• Replies 7.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have joined up with another lady near me who does a couple of dog sports and we have been working on obedience for the last 2 weeks, its great fun to train with someone else :grouphug: Once the Western Classic is over and I have more time I would like to start training a bit of retrieving too.

Any method is only as good as the individual doing it :laugh:

Oh, absolutely! But I didn't think it was rocket science - good to see how it can be done badly because most of the people I talk to online or at trials use it correctly. I hang out with good trainers :laugh:

4 years of training beginners class and I know exactly how interestingly people can interrupt something. Some days I just want to say "WTF are you doing?"

LOL I actually say it out loud! I had a guy in my class last night who refused to listen to me so out loud I said "fine don't listen" and moved onto someone else... Funnily he was very attentive for the rest of the class! :laugh:

JulesP, I know what you mean! I've decided to scale back on my instructing this year, only every 2nd month so I get a chance to recuperate! It's still worth it for the people you get through who do everything right and who's dogs just respond soo well! :eek:

:thumbsup: Seita and JulesP - I just stick to puppy class - lots of fun, and they're usually pretty keen to listen and try things. :D . And I just love seeing how the pups respond so quickly to our focus exercises in particular.

TSD- can you post a link to the footage. I cringe when i watch some training videos and others are just a bit funny. I remember when i first started training some scent detection, someone took a video and my timing was so bad- it looks hilarious when you watch it back. No link- was on dvd and i don't have the dvd any more.

Interpretation of methods and instructions is very interesting- we spend so much time thinking about how the dogs brain works and ticks, its hard to spend as much time thinking about the owners thought processes- its amazing how different they can be from your own!!

The reality is though- it almost is 'rocket science'. Not many people can be naturally consistent or well timed with anything that they do- i wish it was an innate skill of humans!

I did some more heel work with Gilbert on the weekend and although i stepped into him once to start with, (when turning left) his heeling was heaps better (didn't feel like he was in front) and we started getting auto sits too- yay!

First obedience trial for the year this weekend and I have decided to jump in with both feet......

UDX, UD and open with Scoota :(:(

and

Open with Beans :(

Think all three of us should have a fried brain by the end of it.

Good luck Ptolomy methinks you could be a glutton for punishment. :(

I gathered my courage in both hands and sent the entry for our first trial this year off today. Last weekend of the month.

First obedience trial for the year this weekend and I have decided to jump in with both feet......

UDX, UD and open with Scoota :rainbowbridge::cry:

and

Open with Beans :cry:

I will see you there, taking Mason down to do some work in a trialling atmosphere lol.

I have been using Shirley Chong's dumbell training with Cindy for the last 2 weeks.

She will not mouth it at all! I am not c/t any contact unless it is the mouth. If I hold off the c/t and wit for her to take it she starts offering other behaviours-sit, drop, stand and then just gets confused.

Any ideas greatly appreciated.

I have been using Shirley Chong's dumbell training with Cindy for the last 2 weeks.

She will not mouth it at all! I am not c/t any contact unless it is the mouth. If I hold off the c/t and wit for her to take it she starts offering other behaviours-sit, drop, stand and then just gets confused.

Have you done all the initial steps???

Yes-to the letter. She just rarely mouths any toys apart from tugs. She noses kongs etc.

Yes-to the letter. She just rarely mouths any toys apart from tugs. She noses kongs etc.

Can you video your next session?

Can you video your next session?

OK-will do

Promise no laughing at the handler though! :eek:

UDX, UD and open with Scoota :rofl::rofl:

and

Open with Beans :rofl:

Have just opened a popping bottle and sharing BBQ chips with the kids :rofl: because WE ARE CELEBRATING :whiteflag:

Scoota's first UDX pass :confused::coffee::wave: with 196

A pass in UD with 196

A second to Brookie on a countback in open with 195

and a third place in open behind Brookie and Moo for Beans

Boy am I a happy girl :rofl: