Training Talk Thread

Tiggy

• Replies 7.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

OSoSwift... THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU. We have been trying to get the hold for months, I tried your suggestion and it worked straight away. After that 5 minute session she was holding it for 5 seconds. She just got the hugest jackpot ever :)

OSoSwift... THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU. We have been trying to get the hold for months, I tried your suggestion and it worked straight away. After that 5 minute session she was holding it for 5 seconds. She just got the hugest jackpot ever :)

:):rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::cry:

It worked on my Dobe when I had been struggling for 4 years, with other issues with the dumbell as well though.

So glad it helped.

Here is Toby having a go at Rally, as always feel free to comment, I am aware I did a few things wrong but maybe something you see is something I didn't notice :)

ETA - glad to hear you got Ava holding the dumbell wuffles! That's one thing I am looking forward to teaching Toby :)

Edited by RallyValley

Wow RallyValley, you and Toby look like you have come a long way!!!

I was excited to teach the dumbell too until we got stuck :) She's not a natural retriever so it has been pretty interesting :rofl:

Edit: I am so amazed that something so simple worked :) I've never had that suggestion before, people at my club keep telling me just to reward in smaller increments but my brain can't compute millisecond intervals! Yay!

Edited by wuffles

Here is Toby having a go at Rally, as always feel free to comment, I am aware I did a few things wrong but maybe something you see is something I didn't notice :)

ETA - glad to hear you got Ava holding the dumbell wuffles! That's one thing I am looking forward to teaching Toby :)

Gees a bike ride AND a training session. Now I feel really guilty!

I have a medium and a large here Candice, if you don't get a dumbell before we see each other next, take a look at the sizes I have. I use medium for both girls.

Cool I will wait until I see you again as I am in no rush, thought it may just be fun to start teaching him to hold the dumbell, I think he has pretty much the same size mouth as your girls though.

Banjo - I was attempting the heel work with arm out like Ptolomy showed in her vid :) . It will go smoother when he learns to catch the food :( .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U7tQxHla3V8

Hey good job Tiggy and where did all this motivation come from :laugh:

Banjo did a great job heeling - what sort of food were you using - the cheese would have been good)? Strauss was better on the outside cirlces than the inside ones (and still is and it looks like Banjo is the same). Start Bear on catching food now away from heeling.

I have just had a look at your rear end awareness videos :laugh: The one of Bear was how Strauss started too and it didn't take him long to catch on at all - its funny because at this stage they are oblivious to the phone book even being there - just more intent on getting the chunks of cheese.

The one of Banjo on his stiff side. Try standing opposite him and asking him to line up or get in or whatever your command is for him to find heel position and you stand still - he might find this easier. Hmm actually you will have to break this down a bit, you stand with him in heel and take a step to your right and ask him to line up. Once he can do this, then you take 2 steps etc until you are opposite him and he can scoot around.

I am trying to concentrate on our rear end awareness, so far Mason thinks he only has front legs :( I am also using the phone book and carrying on from what Gina showed us in the seminar but oh my its slow going.... this one is not so bright with rear end stuff!!

I am trying to concentrate on our rear end awareness, so far Mason thinks he only has front legs :laugh: I am also using the phone book and carrying on from what Gina showed us in the seminar but oh my its slow going.... this one is not so bright with rear end stuff!!

LOL - I said that about Strauss and come to think about it, Scoota before him. I have actually changed my opinion of Moo - but I really have to say, my girls generally pick things up much faster.

I am trying to concentrate on our rear end awareness, so far Mason thinks he only has front legs :laugh: I am also using the phone book and carrying on from what Gina showed us in the seminar but oh my its slow going.... this one is not so bright with rear end stuff!!

LOL - I said that about Strauss and come to think about it, Scoota before him. I have actually changed my opinion of Moo - but I really have to say, my girls generally pick things up much faster.

Maybe its a boy thing :( I wonder if its harder for bigger dogs to pick up rear end awareness? I will just keep persevering, not going to give up, I know he will get it - hey it may be in the next lifetime though ... :laugh:

Maybe its a boy thing :happydance2: I wonder if its harder for bigger dogs to pick up rear end awareness? I will just keep persevering, not going to give up, I know he will get it - hey it may be in the next lifetime though ... :dancingelephant:

I am a fan of free shaping, but if you're having trouble why not forget the front feet being involved at this stage.

If you get a largish piece of carpet or bubblewrap and place it very close behind your dog. You stand in front with a shortened lead and put slight pressure on him to take a step backwards...he should be close enough to put his rear foot on the carpet..click when he does. Just do this a few times then wait and see if he offers movement with his rear legs. He'll soon know he has two attached if you're rewarding his stepping onto the carpet. Gradually move the carpet a little further away from him til he's walking backwards to try and touch it. Once he's worked that out, then try your phonebook again and see if he offers movement with his rear legs.

Maybe its a boy thing :happydance2: I wonder if its harder for bigger dogs to pick up rear end awareness? I will just keep persevering, not going to give up, I know he will get it - hey it may be in the next lifetime though ... :dancingelephant:

I am a fan of free shaping, but if you're having trouble why not forget the front feet being involved at this stage.

If you get a largish piece of carpet or bubblewrap and place it very close behind your dog. You stand in front with a shortened lead and put slight pressure on him to take a step backwards...he should be close enough to put his rear foot on the carpet..click when he does. Just do this a few times then wait and see if he offers movement with his rear legs. He'll soon know he has two attached if you're rewarding his stepping onto the carpet. Gradually move the carpet a little further away from him til he's walking backwards to try and touch it. Once he's worked that out, then try your phonebook again and see if he offers movement with his rear legs.

Thanks Caffy I might give that a go, he does move his back legs when he is on the phone book but its very minimal and not quite what I am looking for if you know what I mean? I think he is confused.

Thanks Caffy I might give that a go, he does move his back legs when he is on the phone book but its very minimal and not quite what I am looking for if you know what I mean? I think he is confused.

Cindy as well. I am going to try something behind her rear legs and see how we go.

Well, I've just had the displeasure of watching some training footage that gives training with food a bad name. It is WORLDS apart from how I train and it was so permissive and poorly timed/planned I can understand how some people think we all train the same away. Damn, I feel cranky!!!!!!!!!!!

Any method is only as good as the individual doing it :laugh:

Oh, absolutely! But I didn't think it was rocket science - good to see how it can be done badly because most of the people I talk to online or at trials use it correctly. I hang out with good trainers :rolleyes:

Edited by The Spotted Devil

:rolleyes: TSD so long as it wasn't anything of mine. I was watching some of my early training videos the other week and nearly died in a fit of laughter it was THAT BAD!!!!

Edited by ness