March Photo Challenge

Ashanali

I love this suggestion that was entered to the suggestion thread :laugh: It should be fun.

Shooting to crop isn't as easy as it sounds. Most people compose photos in their camera based on what they see through the viewfinder. The standard crop for a camera is a ratio of 2:3 (this is why standard photos at your lab are printed as 4x6 inch prints. 5x7inches is a crop, as is 8x10 inches. 8x12 inches is full frame.)

ANYWAY... this month, the challenge is to shoot your images with a crop in mind. The crop ratio has to be either 1:1 (square crop) or 1:2 (panorama).

If you are wanting to know what size in inches to crop your images because you don't understand ratios... try 10x10 inches or 9x18 inches.

btw - panoramic images are traditionally horizontal/landscape but if you really want to push yourself, shoot with a vertical crop in mind. More difficult but you can get some amazing images.

and as always... HAVE FUN! :whip:

Edited by Ashanali

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

FWIW the ratio of a DSLR (bar Olympus) is 3:2 as Ash said above.

For those of you who are shooting with compact cameras, your standard ratio is 4:3.

It will probably not make a huge difference as you frame for 1:1 or panorama, but it will definitely make a difference if you try to take your compact camera's image to the printer and ask for 4x6 - you'll lose part of your image (for those shooting dslrs, if you try to print an industry standard 8x10, you'll be losing two inches off the long edge which you totally need to keep in mind when you frame your shots) :laugh:

:laugh: dammit - I keep forgetting the point & shoot people. :mad

Thought I would add - if you decide to print 'cropped' images, the best thing to do is put them on a white background that is the right size for printing.

eg- you want a print that is 8x8inches in size, you need to drop the image onto a background that is 8x10 or 8x12 inches before taking it to a mini-lab for printing. The machines don't recognise 'odd' sized images.

For those of you who are shooting with compact cameras, your standard ratio is 4:3.

It will probably not make a huge difference as you frame for 1:1 or panorama, but it will definitely make a difference if you try to take your compact camera's image to the printer and ask for 4x6 - you'll lose part of your image (for those shooting dslrs, if you try to print an industry standard 8x10, you'll be losing two inches off the long edge which you totally need to keep in mind when you frame your shots) :laugh:

I wanted to join this months challenge but I really don't understand what it is we are doing? :laugh: I'm new to photography and am learning fast but I'm not sure about this.

I have a Olympus point and shoot.

So do I just take a pic and then crop it to a certain size? :thumbsup:

It will probably not make a huge difference as you frame for 1:1 or panorama, but it will definitely make a difference if you try to take your compact camera's image to the printer and ask for 4x6 - you'll lose part of your image (for those shooting dslrs, if you try to print an industry standard 8x10, you'll be losing two inches off the long edge which you totally need to keep in mind when you frame your shots) :rofl:

I wanted to join this months challenge but I really don't understand what it is we are doing? :laugh: I'm new to photography and am learning fast but I'm not sure about this.

I have a Olympus point and shoot.

So do I just take a pic and then crop it to a certain size? :thumbsup:

If you are wanting to know what size in inches to crop your images because you don't understand ratios... try 10x10 inches or 9x18 inches.

yep :laugh:

Pawprints - more or less. The real goal is to visualize the crop before you shoot. To see your scene and know that you want it to look non-traditional. So know that you are shooting to crop square (1:1) or panorama before you press the button.

Of course, sometimes you take an image that works great in a more traditional ratio, but then you look at it again and thing "wow, I'll bet this would rock as a 1:1 or panorama (or whatever)" - those are good, too!

Ooooo - I haven't done anything to do with cropping before. I mean, not intentionally anyway!

I don't think I'll get one for every day of this month but a few of my project 365 things will be cropped this month.

Ooooo - I haven't done anything to do with cropping before. I mean, not intentionally anyway!

I don't think I'll get one for every day of this month but a few of my project 365 things will be cropped this month.

Me too... I was thinking, "holy cow"... How on earth could I do that for a month? :laugh:

That's why it's a challenge :thumbsup:

It's a challenge at the moment even getting the camera out at the moment. There needs to be more hours in the day. :thumbsup:

Ditto! I had such great ideas for some of the february photos and didn't have time to do them because I've been at work so much!

Great shot SBT!