Dangers Of Giving A Dog A Kong.

smooch

Late this afternoon Rini our foster kelpie got hold of Smoochies Kong and this is what happened.

post-25199-1269165128_thumb.jpg

The Kong was stuck on Rini's jaw so a trip to the vet to have it removed, it was on too tight and I couldn't remove. It was lucky that Rini was inside when this happened and not out in the dog run. If she had been our there we would not have seen it until possibly too late and the circulation cut off in her jaw. After this incident I would never leave a dog with a Kong unsupervised.

In the pic Rini is not too concerned about the whole thing. She is such a good girl.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The vet sedated Rini and moved the Kong back and forward a bit until it came off, I tried this but poor Rini was yelping and crying so I didn't want to hurt her. If this didn't work it would have to be cut off.

Poor Rini...such a beautiful looking pup...minus the kong of course!

So her bottom jaw (with tongue?) got caught in the large hole of the kong? Any damage to the poor wee thing?

Poor Rini...such a beautiful looking pup...minus the kong of course!

So her bottom jaw (with tongue?) got caught in the large hole of the kong? Any damage to the poor wee thing?

The tongue wasn't caught, just the jaw, We had her to the vet within 20 min, rang the vet as we were leaving and he was waiting for us at the surgery. So all good no damage done, she is asleep now on the lounge, just have to wait for the sedative to wear off properly.

Mum and I are extremely blessed that Rini was okay. Originally it was just funny as we thought it was cute we thought she was just carrying it around. Then when she yawned I realised the drama was unfolding.

The vet was concerned with her breaking her jaw as towards to end of the drama she was pawing at it a fair bit.

I will be ringing the manufacturer tomorrow to inform them of this and the Kongs will be going in the bin!

Oh my god! Well mine's going in the bin tomorrow. Fortunately mine have never been terribly interested in them anyway but I have had them getting peanut butter out of them - I shudder to think!!!!!

Glad Rini is okay - she's so pretty btw!!

Thats scary!!! But it's just the risk like with anything I guess, my girl would be left in an empty room if I worried about everything :coffee: Good heads up though!! I wouldn't want to chance leaving her with nothing to do cos thats when they can get bored and find other things interesting that you don't want them chewing :o I guess anything could turn dangerous, rope balls have been chewed bits off and swallowed and killed dogs, rubber bits causing obstructions etc. I do worry a lot but also like to know my girl is kept busy, she gets a kong and also her raw meaty bones to keep her busy, but she eats sensibly so all we can do is pray nothing ever happens.

I won't throw mine out.. yet!

Rini is normally very sensible with her Kong. I think that she just picked it up to move it to her lounge and it got stuck there.

Luckily she is very placid, not once did she freak out (until it was time for sedation anyway) and just sat calmly. If it was any of the others I shudder to think what would of happened.

Sedation seems to of worn off now thank goodness, but I am still keeping her inside tonight to keep a good eye on her.

OMG! Poor, poor Rini!!!! :coffee:

I'm glad she's ok, but it sounds like an awful ordeal she went through :o

I don't have kongs here, just tennis balls, & after hearing about this (& that it isn't an isolated case) I don't think I'll be getting any for my lot...

Our old boy Bennie also got a Kong stuck on his jaw just like your dog, we were on our way to the vet when he managed to pull it off with his paws but we couldnt budge it before that.

I have found the Everlasting fun balls to be the best toys in so much as they are VERY hard for the dogs to damage and being a far more flexible material, if they were to get their jaw inside one of the holes ( and this has happened with mine from time to time) its easy for the dog to pull it off.

• 5 months later...

Just bumping this thread for the newbies plus another incident that unfolded today at my friends vet clinic

Another dog (making this three this year that I've heard of) got a Kond stuck on her jaw (the same way rini did)

Owners tried removing it themselves causing massive damage to the mouth - ripped out the teeth on the bottom of the jaw and fractured the jaw as well.... Owners still didn't get the Kong off. The dog did enough damage to herself as she has shredded her face to pieces trying to get it off.

Brought her into my friends work and after a long surgery had the Kong removed- Owners are now crossing their fingers that she pulls through okay... she appeared to have lost a lot of blood from the face.

Now I really really hate KONGS!

We had a similar incident at work last week with a dog that presented with its tongue stuck in the kong, it was very swollen and took some time to go back to normal but thankfully no permanent damage.

apparently this is common as food gets stuck in the top air hole. I would never let my dogs have a kong without being there. I can't understand how people leave kongs when they go to work!

Extremely common & i amazed how many DOLERS tell people to use kongs & treat balls when owners go to work.

Those treat balls are even more dangerous.

We get clients who bring in kongs & we warn them of the risks but its the owners choice.

Also the number of kongs with mould growing inside them from left over food is also :)