April Photo Challenge

Ashanali

I know many people in these groups already know what the rule of thirds is, but this month, the whole month is devoted to it.

For those who don't know what the rule of thirds is, it is ONE of the very basic rules of composition that photographers use.

The theory is that every image is broken into nine segments, three rows of three (imagine you are playing noughts and crosses and running lines through your images.)

If composing landscapes, typically you will make a choice as to whether you want more land or more sky, it is rare to have horizin lines running right through the very middle of the shot. Portraits, you might have the subject/s off center or maybe if shooting a dog, you will use their eyes as the guide of where to crop using the rule of thirds as a guide.

eg 1

The subject is off to the right third of the image, not in the middle

4381508778_33fbb4c138.jpg

eg2

The horizon line is on the bottom third, not through the middle - you will also notice the placement of the subjects also follows the thirds of the image (loosely)

4416437028_ab2cbd1f13.jpg

So this month is all about thirds. Have fun and good luck! :thumbsup:

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

OK well I'll start it off with two I took this morning.

Composition is something I want to work on this month, as I've finally got the knack (most of the time) of switching AF points without too much fumbling. For the past couple of weeks since changing cameras I have mostly been using the centre focus point and relying on cropping.

As you can se they are as indifferent to Easter as they were to Xmas!

-1129.jpg

-1133.jpg

thanks guys - I've been using the 50mm a lot lately, so have switched to my Sigma 17 - 70 for bit of a change.

The change is good, isn't it? I have started to use the 28-80 for a change :)

I'm up for a big FAIL this month :eek:

Me too . I don't think before I click :mad

Guest Kate_Summer

Haven't been on for a while - wanting to have a go at this - I did take some pics tonight but was not aware of what the challenge was about.

I think this would apply...sorry for its blurry head :bolt:

4486626254_9766b449f3_b.jpg

Taken at the beach this morning, she was such a lovely girl

4489677596_45dafc989d.jpg

& my youngest GSP on his first trip to the beach

4489037253_d079037c53.jpg

and I can't explain why his face looks like this - just that he is only 18 weeks old and he was having a ball with the other dogs (including this older GSP he just met)

4489688032_30cc40b185.jpg

Could you give a "this is where my thirds are" caption when you post some of them. I am having trouble seeing them.

Huga I think the right hand side pic in your sig is brilliant and fits this criteria perfectly (but that's me and I could be arseup on that too)

Could you give a "this is where my thirds are" caption when you post some of them. I am having trouble seeing them.

Huga I think the right hand side pic in your sig is brilliant and fits this criteria perfectly (but that's me and I could be arseup on that too)

Ooh thanks. I'm still not entirely sure either :rofl:

I did have a little play this afternoon though:

4492939490_daf878a1ab.jpg

4492939414_6e61500f40.jpg

4492301403_0ab7ea9e9e.jpg

4492301331_6ea39f9894.jpg