Topic's Discussed On A Dog Forum

alpha bet

Am I completely alone in thinking that there is too much off topic junk coming on here.

Isn't this meant to be a dog discussion forum - not about problem teenage kids, or what colour I should paint the friggin bathroom and sorry but i dont want to hear about your engagement or pending two legged birth, nor the fact that your car is written off.

People can't seriously think they are going to get good advise on a personal relationship that might or might not be going sour.

Everytime I come on to see whats new I have to wade thru all this personal stuff.......

Talk to your real friends -face to face - about these things and in the words of Paul Hogan, you can go to a shrink if you dont have any mates.

A dog forum should be about dogs. Can't we make this site more constructive to allow exchange of ideas that might help for the future of breeding and showing......

I know Im going to cop a lot of negative responses putting this up, but could the genuine dog enthusiast please support me here.....!!!!!!!

p.s. please note I have added this to a General Dog Discussion not an Off Topic Discussion because I really want to talk about dogs........

Edited by alpha bet

If you only want to talk about dogs you should be pretty right in this section. :bolt: The other thing to do is read the headings, generally it gives you an idea if you would be interested. There's a huge amount of threads I dont bother to read.

Yep I've heard you can ask Troy to block your access to OT then you don't need to go there :bolt: Sometimes people like to talk to other like minded people not everyone in your circle of friends looks at everything from a dog-lovers perspective I think it's nice you can talk about other stuff with fellow doggy/animal people :wave:

Hi Alpha bet.

I'm not tooo sure, but i think you can block the OffTopic from coming up in your View New Posts. :wave:

Yes, you can block OT. OT is CLEARLY labelled as OT, so why whinge about it - just stick to "general" or whatever else you're interested in. Are you saying that, because YOU don't like to have to wade through non-dog related topics that no-one else should have the enjoyment we get out of Off Topic?

Did you get up on the wrong side of the bed today :bolt: ?

The Mods have written under Off Topic, the purpose of that section of DOL.

Anything goes here (almost). A place for all non dog related chit chat.

So that's what the threads will be about in Off Topic. Non dog related chit chat.

If you have no interest in that wide range of non dog topics, then don't open the Off Topic section & read them.

Stick with the remainder of DOL, which is dog related.

Edited by mita

Everytime I come on to see whats new I have to wade thru all this personal stuff.......

You do not have to wade thru it - just go straight to the forum /thread which interests you!

I never read the show stuff, or a few other forums... and couldn't even tell you what the new posts there are called! :wave: so- perhaps use the DOL tools available to enable you to only read what you want , and you'll be happy :bolt:

The thing about dogs is that many of them have owners.

The thing about those owners is that many of them have a life outside their dogs.

The thing about having a life outside dogs is that it gives lots of people lots to talk about.

THAT'S why there is an OT section.

If you don't like it, nobody is forcing you to read it.

The easiest way not to fill up the general dog discussion forum with off topic crap is not to start off topic threads like this in it. That's what off topic is for.

Exactly, I don't understand what this topic is about :bolt::wave:

Personally I find News, Rainbow Bridge, BSL and Rescue all far too confronting and upsetting, so I venture in there around once a year! at my own peril :( That is why there are different sections of Dol :cheer::)

Hi Alpha bet.

I'm not tooo sure, but i think you can block the OffTopic from coming up in your View New Posts. :bolt:

Bonnie, how would I do that..... I guess Im being lazy just going to new posts - after all it does show all the stuff that has been on since my list visit - if I could block the off topic that would help.

Oh and thanks for all the other 'comments'

Hi Alpha bet.

I'm not tooo sure, but i think you can block the OffTopic from coming up in your View New Posts. :wave:

Bonnie, how would I do that..... I guess Im being lazy just going to new posts - after all it does show all the stuff that has been on since my list visit - if I could block the off topic that would help.

Let me find out. :bolt:

If someone else knows; feel free to help Alpha Bet out. :(

AB: Bear with me and I'll let you know if i work it out.

Hi Alpha bet.

I'm not tooo sure, but i think you can block the OffTopic from coming up in your View New Posts. :bolt:

here maybe?

You can view which new topics have new replies today by clicking on the 'Today's Active Topics' link found at the bottom of the main board page (the first page you see when visiting the board). You can set your own date criteria, choosing to view all topics with new replies during several date choices.

The 'View New Posts' link in the member bar at the top of each page, will allow you to view all of the topics which have new replies in since your last visit to the board.

oh wait, no that's not it.

:wave: Alpha Bet; You will need to PM troy and ask to have it blocked from your view.

You will no longer be able to access the subforums though: Member Marketplace, Cat Chat, Birds, Fish, Horses and other Pets, Arts and Crafts.. also things like the recipes. :(

Edited by Bonnie Parker

I have the completely opposite view Alpha Bet, I think that it is wonderful that people can come onto DOL and share their experiences with a group of like minded people.

Not everybody is comfortable to share their feelings and problems with friends and family face to face and some people are isolated by distance/illness and other reasons to the wider community so DOL is a way in which they can feel connected to a group.

I have met some truly decent, caring people with a shared love of dogs thanks to being a member of DOl, I look forward to DOL meets and catching up with people face to face but also find a comfort in knowing that advice and companionship are only ever as far away as my computer.

So if you dont want to mix it with the off topic crowd that is fine but remember that many of us enjoy the option of recipes, children and every day stuff :bolt:

Thanks for starting your offtopic 'thread' to complain about the offtopic subforum in General Dog Discussion. Maybe now you can get back to discussing dogs in General Dog Discussion. Hope you had a lovely Easter.

Hi Alpha bet.

If you wish to block off topic, just send me a PM and I can arrange