I Am Not A Snob!

whitka

The fact that very few turn up is great, and when they do if the breeder can be determined they usually take them back, but they are increasing in popularity and occasionally turning up in pet shops, I am sure there will be more in need of rescue in the future. :thumbsup:

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think it is choice of Purebred that makes for snobs it is a rotten attitude towards crosses and their owners that makes one a snob.

Well, thankfully not everyone is like that. I have purebreds and I am not fussy if they play with a crossbreed. Is this the correct attitude to have? I look at the dog, not what they are bred from. If my boys like them, and they all want to interact,then I like them.

I've been so lucky. In all the years I have owned cross breds (from shelters), and the last 5 years of owning purebreds, I have never had people say anything about what I own! I've read similar threads to this one over the years on DOL, and I'm so surprised people get judged so much!

The only thing that sometimes occasionally get brought up in conversation is that purebreds arn't always that healthy, because of their genetic issues that quite a few of the breeds have..but I think that's probably just their way of trying to justify their DD and BYB dogs?

My parents were GSD breeders, and I don't think any one every questioned their choices that I know of or called them snobs..

I think that's weird why people would call you a snob for owning a Purebred dog ! :thumbsup:

Edited by JulesLuvsCavs

I've been so lucky. In all the years I have owned cross breds (from shelters), and the last 5 years of owning purebreds, I have never had people say anything about what I own! I've read similar threads to this one over the years on DOL, and I'm so surprised people get judged so much!

The only thing that sometimes occasionally get brought up in conversation is that purebreds arn't always that healthy, because of their genetic issues that quite a few of the breeds have..but I think that's probably just their way of trying to justify their DD and BYB dogs?

My parents were GSD breeders, and I don't think any one every questioned their choices that I know of or called them snobs..

I think that's weird why people would call you a snob for owning a Purebred dog ! :rofl:

The only time I have heard dog owners referred to as snobs is on this thread. WE bring into our families what we want, be it crossbred or pure. Who cares, we all love what we have chosen and anyone out there who disagrees can go jump. Nothing can replace the devotion of a dog, no matter what it's parent's were.

I am a snob.

I'd rather buy a name brand car with a warranty from an accredited dealer than something cobbled together out of any available parts parts by an amateur mechanic in their backyard.

I don't feel any differently about dogs.

Edited by poodlefan

I love pure breeds.... And i would never think of you as a snob.And I have mostly had only purebreeds, even if some are pure breed rescues. the rescues have even been identified and had their reg papers.

But I did get sucked in by a Border Collie cross Golden retriever (rescue five week old pup) four year ago and she has been the most incredibly clever, healthy dog and is just a joy to own.

The only time I would call someone a snob is if they look down on the people who do the rescues and own the cross breeds :rofl:

My Lab is an un papered pure (well we think but who knows) and its not something I will do again. Now that I have had the pleasure of papered pedigrees I am very happy to say I am a purebred snob too, I want to know what I am getting and stuff what others think.

I don't think it is choice of Purebred that makes for snobs it is a rotten attitude towards crosses and their owners that makes one a snob.

Cuts both ways.

Especially from "superior" DD owners and the "you bought a purebred so you've killed a pound dog" brigade.

Edited by poodlefan

I have nothing against crossbreeds, my purebred is unpapered ( never again ) and my parents have a crossbreed, both are very much loved but it's my choice to be more selective to where I get my next dog then just looking in the tradeing post.

My two are Mutts (pound dog and intercepted on the way to the pound dog) so heavily x'd I wouldn't have a clue what could be in them... It's a bit of a lucky dip with mutts.... lol

I love them to absolute pieces though!

I would like to think my next dog will be a papered pure-bred... but I'm just such a bleeding heart.... We'll see...

Pure-bred is great, Rescue is great (Pure-bred or x-bred).

Backyard breeders and DD breeders... for shame :D

Anyways I'm not judging anyone... (obviously beside BYB & DD "breeders" :rofl::cry: )

I own two Cross breeds "mutts"

I absolutely adore them. :rofl:

I have never owned a pure bred dog with papers, and I won't say that I never will :cry:

I don't think that you are a snob for owning or wanting a pure bred dog, everyone has their own opinions on what they would like to own, no one is wrong really (except maybe BYB :cry: )

People deserve the right to choose a respected registered breeder and not be judged.

I love all dogs pure breed & cross breed :D

Edited by MavericksMission

Definition from Wikipedia:

"Characteristically, snobs look down on people who have qualities which they regard as inferior, or flaunt their attributes which they regard as positive in order to make others seem inferior."

I believe if everyone was treated as equals in this world it would be a better place, but unfortunately if you wear labels or come with papers you are somehow perceived as having more value than others.

It is your choice what you buy, but in my eyes every dog... pruebreed or not they are equal.

As Crisovar posted - I don't think purebred dog owners are snobs. People who only like PB dogs and are dismissive of any dog not PB are a different kettle of fish. As thou the dog is not worthy because it is not a pb.

I have 2 rescue dogs who are crossbred. And regardless of how they come about, I appreciate all dogs for what they are.

Many people have x bred dogs for what ever reason and increasingly I meet people who have pound or rescue dogs. They do not appreciate their dogs being dismissed cause they are not papered.

Of couse not all PB dog lovers feel this way. Most are genuine dog lovers with a particular devotion for the dog breed they admire most.

The question should be asked.

Is it any of their business??..........No!!!!!!!

It is nobody's business or place to stand in judgment as to what type of dog you own as long as you give it the love and care it deserves.

I have never personally owned a mix breed or rescue dog myself, family has as a child, but never me.

I never will either. You get what you pay for.

I got really offended when I read this, especially "you get what you pay for" part. I work with dogs and have done so all of my working life and I have owned them all my life. I respect individual choices to whether you want a purebred as I have owned pure bred dogs and I also respect individual choices to whether you want a cross breed dog which I have also owned. There is NO way I loved my pure breed dogs over my cross breed dogs and I am so grateful that I was blessed with every single one of them and how much I loved them just for being great companions.

Two nights ago I had to put down my 14 year old Maltese X Griffin X and for someone to insinuate that she was less of dog because she was a cross breed was really offensive, to me she was the dog that greeted me when I came home, she was the dog who slept on my bed every night, she was the dog who loved hugs and she was mine and my family's dog and we will miss her immensely everyday and so will her companion a 16 year old wolf hound X (one of the most loyal dogs I have had).

If you don't love dogs as a whole then how can you call your self a "dog lover"?

I will also take this opportunity to pay respect to all of the dogs that I have owned and have touched my life and I love every single one of them the same for just being them: -

Penny - German shepherd X Kelpie

Marsique - Chihuahua

Tess - Bull terrier X Grey hound

Heidi - Maltese X Griffin X

And those that are still with me Cerridwen Irish wolf hound X and Penny (2) Red heeler

Life is too short to be judgmental Bonnie parker, and I am sure if I ever owned an Australian Shepherd I would love it just as much as the dogs that I listed above!