What Don't Most People Know About Your Breed?

RallyValley

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No. They don't eat a lot.

No. I don't have a big back yard. I live in a flat.

No. I don't have a big car. I have a Ford Laser. And yes, all three fit in.

No. I can't put a saddle on any of them.

No. I don't have my "hands full". All three are walking calmly on a loose lead.

No they are not a Greyhound X, but thank you for not telling me they are Wolfhounds.

BUT, they are gentle, affectionate and cunning.

They are also accomplished counter-surfers, couch-stealers and bed-hogs.

This thread is great. Sooo many cool photo's of the cockroach's & smilers :)

The working kelpie is not a biddable as people think it is. They are biddable when doing what they love (working or sports) otherwise they are working out ways to get you to do what they want you to do. They need firm stable owners.

Not just working Kelpies!!

Not all working Kelpies want to work (I had a dud as a child lol), Not all Show kelpies are sedate (another dud but soooo much more fun lol)!!

When Kelpies come home they should turn into couch potatos, they should only go go go when they are out!!!

Kelpies do know how to flip you the finger, give you a death stare and then walk away if you ask you to do something stupid. They do know when the have been accused of doing something they shouldn't (had a kelpie stand there and bark when I pointed at a hole- later that day I saw the cat making the hole bigger). They will tell off their owner if they are giving mixed signals (like calling tyre while pointing at the tunnel).

Kelpies do do the cockoach as well but ultimatly all they really want is a pillow- a boomerang if possible but any raised surface will do!!

They bond really strongly to pack. You may not live with them but if you are pack then they love you forever. if you are not pack then you do not exist.

Oh and they excel at training humans!!!

Edited by woofenpup

Wheatens, despite being an Irish breed, don't like the rain (well mine don't!)

Unless there's a walk involved.

They aren't labradoodles, or schnoodles or any other Oodle.

Or a sheep.

They have a definate sense of humour and love to make you laugh. This includes putting their cold nose or wet beard on bare skin when you aren't paying them enough attention.

Or belting you over the head with their big fat paws.

They jump up when meeting you because they want to kiss your face to say hello. Ignoring them makes them think you haven't seen them, so they will double their efforts.

Ah, the wheaten greetin'. :)

If you bend down and say hello to them properly, they'll stop harrassing you.

Your wheatens must be broken, Mollie. Grumpy never gives up so easily! :)

They are the best breed in the whole world :rofl:

Mollie

Along with kerries, they certainly are!

Your wheatens are broken, Mollie10. :cry:

Havanese dig and I don't mean holes in the ground, though they do that sometimes. Put one on the bed and it will dig in the one spot for about 5 to 10 seconds then flop down on that spot and go to sleep. It could also be on the lino or the carpet or the concrete or..... I don't know what they're digging for but they ALL seem to do it.

A miniature dachshund can and will jump over 1m high barricades when you are so worried about them squeezing out in under the fence. I almost died the day I learnt Gyp could jump so high.

Luckily, a standard dachshund, not so high.

Pronounced doxen, not dash-hound. Learnt that one the hard way and everyone else I know calls them dash-hound.

Meg assumes cockroach position every single night.

No my dog will not fly away with her huge ears and no she is not called "Dumbo."

No she does not drag her belly along the ground, my dogs are healthy and lean.

Pronounced doxen, not dash-hound. Learnt that one the hard way and everyone else I know calls them dash-hound.

And it is not pronounced sausage dog either! :) This annoys me and I don't even own the breed, just handle some gorgeous longhairs!

Or Collies are Lassie Dogs, or Shelties are Mini-Lassies.

I thought I was the only one with a CCC (crazy cockroach cat) - Zara is apparently a Turkish Van X - she loves getting in a full sink or tub of water, has a funny little bark she does to the other animals, and has the big bushy tail. She also sleeps like a local whore after a night on the town. It's shameless.

Edited by NicGSDlover

And it is not pronounced sausage dog either! :) This annoys me and I don't even own the breed, just handle some gorgeous longhairs!

Or weiner dogs, hot dogs or road trains. Not to be placed on the barbecue or eaten in a bun. I had one friend ask me if he got a bun long enough could he place my miniature in there for a laugh ...

no it's not a baby greyhound

no they are not skinny and need a feed

no they are not rescued racing dogs

yes they can be let off lead

yes they come back

yes they can be trained not to chase and kill cats and other small furries (although don't push it with a bunny or other small furries!)

No I don't hunt them (because i am not into it, I am sure they are more than willing to give it a red hot go!)

No they don't need endless amounts of exersice, they are couch potato's

Yes they need their coats when it is cold

They do not smell, even when not washed for months (unless they have rolled in maggot infested mouse guts - YUK)

Yes they are addictive and you will most likely end up with more than one!

Or weiner dogs, hot dogs or road trains. Not to be placed on the barbecue or eaten in a bun. I had one friend ask me if he got a bun long enough could he place my miniature in there for a laugh ...

What about speed bumps? :):cry:

A lady who shows them up here affectionately refers to hers as speed bumps. They are so cute though.

Not all Danes grow up to immense heights.

Seems like everyone I meet tells me my 2 year old must be a puppy because "they saw that there big dane dawg on da tv, I tink his name was George, and they growed up big n tall. Wunder why yours is so small"

:)

They're not 'long haired GSDs' :)

LOL - I have had people ask me if i've shaved Sophie! Because she's not fluffy enough to be a German Sheperd? Or asked me what she's crossed with to not be blacker. Sigh. SHES A PEDIGREE GERMAN SHEPERD! And no, Chase's blue eye does not make him a Husky. Lol.

WTF!? :cry:

Haha, I got asked all the time when Lottie was a pup if she was a Husky and if not SURELY she's crossed with one!!! :rofl:

Yup. Apparently Huskys are the only breed ever to have blue eyes :)

It is not a French Poodle....they actually originated from Germany!

It not a king or giant Poodle.....its a Standard Poodle!

And lastly.....no it is definately not a Labdradoodle :) Argh!!!

grrrrr - that is MY pet hat, too

Also:

There is an historic reason for the Continental, or show clip

They were actually bred for water retrieving

Poodle puppies also like the "cockroach position"

S6001175.jpg

And it is not pronounced sausage dog either! :cry: This annoys me and I don't even own the breed, just handle some gorgeous longhairs!

What about speed bumps? :rofl: :rofl:

A lady who shows them up here affectionately refers to hers as speed bumps. They are so cute though.

:) I show a mini long who's show name is Speed Bumb! Speedy is his pet name. :)