Check It Out!

mutt lover

My old girl Lady so desperately wants to still go for walks but her little legs have gotten so weary now and she is so tottery it takes 10mins to walk to corner of house next door, it really upsets me as I know just how much she used to love going for walks and now weather is cooler and she sees me taking other dog for walk wants to come too, but gets to corner and can't walk any further so i have to pick her up and bring her home, so I will have to start taking her for walks in this now instead! (my neighbors are gonna think I'm mad) :laugh:post-31607-1273528864_thumb.jpg

(my neighbors are gonna think I'm mad) :laugh:

Yes, yes they will :laugh: BUT if this is the only way your old girl can still enjoy the sights, sounds and smells of a walk, when her legs are not good enough to carry her, then good on you for letting her come with you :)

My old girl Lady so desperately wants to still go for walks but her little legs have gotten so weary now and she is so tottery it takes 10mins to walk to corner of house next door, it really upsets me as I know just how much she used to love going for walks and now weather is cooler and she sees me taking other dog for walk wants to come too, but gets to corner and can't walk any further so i have to pick her up and bring her home, so I will have to start taking her for walks in this now instead! (my neighbors are gonna think I'm mad) :laugh:post-31607-1273528864_thumb.jpg

Another option is a backpack if your dog isn't too heavy. My sister used to let her old Maltese x Shi Tzu walk a little bit then put him in a backpack while she walked her Aussie Shepherd. When they got to the park she'd get him out for a bit of a sniff around then put him in the backpack to go home. He was quite happy with that arrangement!

My old girl Lady so desperately wants to still go for walks but her little legs have gotten so weary now and she is so tottery it takes 10mins to walk to corner of house next door, it really upsets me as I know just how much she used to love going for walks and now weather is cooler and she sees me taking other dog for walk wants to come too, but gets to corner and can't walk any further so i have to pick her up and bring her home, so I will have to start taking her for walks in this now instead! (my neighbors are gonna think I'm mad) :laugh:

Mine already know that I am !!

Lucky Lady is her new name. I tried that once with one of my old dogs - LOL. Long may Lucky Lady preside over the neighbourhood in her new carriage.

I do three walks:

* the first one with Kisho, Danny and Tamar - long walk and reasonably energetic.

* the second one with Jeune and Sari - very slow, short, just for the sniffing.

* the third one with just Mufti - very short, to the corner and back, but can take as long as the first one while he sniffs every second blade of grass and stops to sniff the air, check that any other dogs aren't invading his territory, and stand contemplating whether the footpath on the other side of the street has more attractions.

This can take up to 2 hours !!

Edited by Mother Moocher

I have sold people doggie prams before for the same reason. There are a couple of guys that live near us that have wagons attached to the back of their bikes too, one is for a cav the other for an ACD. It is lovely to keep them involved in something they love doing with you.

A few years ago I would walk my dog and pass an older woman walking her dogs one on a lead the other in an old pram she had a sign on the pram that said something like this Please don't laugh at me I like to to for walks but I am very old now and can't walk too far, this way I can still go out with my buddies and enjoy the day. When it was cooler a blanket was put over the dog so it didn't get cold.

Don't worry about what others think, you are taking your dog out and not leaving her at home to get misserable and feel she has let you down because she is getting older, or worse feel she is being punished now she is older and can't walk far.

Hope you have a lovely walk today and many more to come.

Thanks for your kind words everyone, she is very very very special to me, came into my life 11 years ago just after my previous little dog who was very similar to lady was killed in a dog attack while we were out walking. Lady was an older dog when I got her came from rspca in burwood. I am dreading that day which may not be too far ahead as she is 16 nearly 17, but that's what the vets said 12 months ago and the monthly cartrophen injections are still helping and she is in the best (Hotel) so my friends keep telling me, :laugh: sleeps in my bed in winter under doona when it's cold or on outside covered up with blanket if she doesn't want to stay in and I'm still getting barked at when she wants her dinner or to go outside to toilet so I don't think she's ready to leave me just yet.

Wouldn't say she's too rapt in the pram still have to put her harness and lead on and hold lead and keep telling her it's ok otherwise she'd try and jump out and would hurt herself but is slowly getting used to it and I do feel she puts up with it just to be with me. I tell her she's going 'cruisin' but to her that means going out in the car not pram; :rofl: But if I don't take her and just take other dog I feel sooo guilty and the look she gives me makes me feel even more guilty she has slowed up so suddenly it was only last year that she was still able to do the paws walk around shepparton lake and has done every paws walk in melb and mornington before we moved to the country couple of years ago and it just wouldn't be the same without taking her, so beware any1 who may be going to paws walk in shepparton there will be mad woman with maltese x shih tzu and 'My Lady' in her chariot. :D