Ideas For Keeping The Oldies Extra Warm This Winter...

redangel

I have a golden oldie, each year the winters get that bit harder. How do you keep your oldies extra warm? Ive looked into heat pads etcc...but concerned about electricity & the possibility of my oldie having a night time 'accident' and soiling it.

I have a golden oldie, each year the winters get that bit harder. How do you keep your oldies extra warm? Ive looked into heat pads etcc...but concerned about electricity & the possibility of my oldie having a night time 'accident' and soiling it.

Most heat pads are rubberised or washable.

Coats, heating and a good joint supplement all help.

Something to consider is to getthem something like an igloo in which to sleep :D A lo-roofed, warm and soft 'igloo' keeps in the body warmth, and protects from drafts. I don't care what bed your dog has... if it's not enclosed on three side/roofed, there will be cold drafts- especially at ground level (unless your house is heated 24/7 :p

When regularly visiting cold old ballarat with old Mitch many years ago.. I always took a large piece of foam.. like the stuff mattress overlays are :D I would roll it into a tube.. tie it with string.. and he and his bedding would go in the middle of the 'pipe' . with one end against a wall or covered with blanket- he was as snug as!!

Our oldies,get (if co operative) nice warm bed,we use vet bed alot which is great in the cool weather,hot water bottles/wheat bags or the snuggle disc(which ever takes your fancy).

We do have coats which some like/ hate .

We find the main thing is just having a nice cosy spot & in our house the fav spot is the crate covered over

I just had ducted gas heated installed for my oldie :p Of course I don't mind it either :D

I have heated dog beds and lots of dog coats. My oldest wears his jammies most of the time now, even in the heated house.

one of the best things ive found is to get a brick and put in in the fire place till it heats up, Wrap it in a few old pillow cases and it stays warm for hours. Chew proof as well.

Something to consider is to getthem something like an igloo in which to sleep :laugh: A lo-roofed, warm and soft 'igloo' keeps in the body warmth, and protects from drafts. I don't care what bed your dog has... if it's not enclosed on three side/roofed, there will be cold drafts- especially at ground level (unless your house is heated 24/7 :mad

When regularly visiting cold old ballarat with old Mitch many years ago.. I always took a large piece of foam.. like the stuff mattress overlays are :D I would roll it into a tube.. tie it with string.. and he and his bedding would go in the middle of the 'pipe' . with one end against a wall or covered with blanket- he was as snug as!!

I completely agree, Feather (whippet) has her own furry cat igloo which she loves and of course I've mentioned them many times, my crappy old cardboard boxes are the absolute favourite beds around here. Tape them up and then cut a small round entrance hole, stuff them full of warm blankets and cover with a blanket over the top. They're usually about 5 or 6 degrees (at least) warmer than the room temp.

104-0493_IMG.jpg

Oh yes and you can write silly love messages on them too. :thumbsup:

Edited by Kirislin

one of the best things ive found is to get a brick and put in in the fire place till it heats up, Wrap it in a few old pillow cases and it stays warm for hours. Chew proof as well.

YES!!

I use these for the old cats..and for puppies :thumbsup: I wrap in WOOLLEN blanket pieces..or a woollen thick sock popped under bedding, they stay warm all night :laugh:

[

104-0493_IMG.jpg

Oh yes and you can write silly love messages on them too. :thumbsup:

This is a great idea and I am kicking myself that I havent thought of this. I have been looking at all the cat domes etc for our cat as I am sure she is getting cold and they are quite expensive for what they are - this is ingenius!

So many great ideas!

We put on the thick doggy PJ's, jackets or hoodies as soon as the temp starts dropping in the early evening. I tend to get them a little larger so her bum and thighs are covered when she is lying down - almost like a cape. Keeping them warm as they get older makes a big difference to their comfort and mobility.

Thanks for the input. Currently shes on glucosamine, wears a polar coat. Sleeps on polar fleece. Dog jammies look better covering. Well worth a try. Great idea Kirslin- she used to like sleeping in an old canvas bag (such a prissy poodle-not!) for the privacy aspect. What are snuggle discs????

our cold froggie dog sleeps on his armchair on the landing so hes well off the floor

he wears polar fleece pjs then i put another outdoor coat on himas well

he hops on to the armchair which has a remnant of an old woollen blankie as a sheet for the wonderful warmth that wool sustains then i tuck him in with another larger woollen blanket...he stays put all night ..if he has to turn then he kinda turns with the blanket over him anyway and i think sleeping on that woollen base reallly does keep his body warmth intact

no complaints from him..he pelts up the stairs to the armchair of his and will only wake me to ask to go out around 6am....then he will happily continue to sleep in for our weekend sleepins ...no problems

Hi,

The snuggle disc is called Snuggle Safe (I think ... been ages since I bought one). I have them here that I use for my hairless cresties and they absolutely love them. Basically you just pop one in the microwave for about 5 minutes and they heat up and stay warm all night. It's a hard plastic disc, filled with some kind of gel that heats and stays warm. A lot of vets use them for recouperating creatures after surgery etc and as they are not run with electricity there are no wires etc to worry about. The disc itself has a material cover and you just make sure to place the heated disc under bedding so the dog is not in direct contact with it ... it does get very hot initially. I put one in my dogs bed at about 9.30pm and when I get them up at about 8AM the next day the discs are still warm and the dogs absolutely toasty!

You can google SnuggleSafe but I got mine on Ebay. They're not overly cheap but well worth the investment to keep our loved ones warm, cosy and safe. I highly recommend them! :laugh:

Also recommend the covered in bed theory ... the warmth generated by the disc is kept inside the bed and so it stays warmer even longer. :)

Awww that box idea was good but I just cant find a cardboard box big enough for my fella. Unfortunately he freaks out if I put a blanket over him and I'm stuck for ideas about keeping him warm in these freezing tassie conditions....

Great ideas in this thread. :thumbsup:

I agree about an enclosed space. I use soft carry crates for the tibs. And put warm baby blankets (from St Vinnies) over the top & sides as well as inside. That adds more layers of insulation to keep the body heat in. Sometimes I've warmed up the inside blankets by running over a hot iron.

The wrapped heated brick brought back memories. When I was little, older ladies applied that when children had earache.