Hypothetical Question

Just a hypothetical question to those smart people here that know about these things.

If you had a dog that was just the best in every way , behaved beautifully, awesome temperament, intelligent, gentle, loving, etc etc does that mean if you purchase another puppy later from a litter from the same parents, would you likely get another fantastic dog that is similar to the original pup? (assuming that the new pup is raised the same way as the first puppy, in the same enviroment by the same owners etc), or is it like human children where they can be very different even though they have the same parents?

Just wondering, that's all, as I was thinking how incredibly blessed we have been with our puppy and couldn't imagine another dog being so good :)

They can be different. I've got 4 male puppies out in the backyard now and they have all been raised the same, same parentage yet they all have very different personalities.

so definately different..

Ive never had a two dogs with the same parents, but me and my sister and my brothers all have the same parents and were all raised the same way and not one of us are alike, sure we have some similarities, but we are all 4 completely different people with 4 completely different personalities and with 4 completely different views on life...

There is a genetic component that is why you like to know the dogs parentage but as GoldenGirl85 mentioned it isn't a guarantee with humans so it won't be a guarantee with dogs.

One of my kids is a bit laid back like I am, another has his father's quick temper and the others are a mixture

There is a genetic component that is why you like to know the dogs parentage but as GoldenGirl85 mentioned it isn't a guarantee with humans so it won't be a guarantee with dogs.

One of my kids is a bit laid back like I am, another has his father's quick temper and the others are a mixture

Yes, despite their being many similarities, there will also be many differences.

Also of great importance is not to fall into the trap of "comparing Kids!!" This applies just as much to animals as children. It has been said that even clones will have different personality quirks.

I have 3 kids myself, all VERY different so thats why I was wondering about dogs specifically. I know breeders talk about choosing dogs with great temperaments to breed from so was wondering whether that meant that most of the time the temperament of the parents is replicated in the pups even with subsequent litters.

Pity humans can't choose to breed like that! :)

My first GSD was a male, and when he passed away I got a puppy from his litter sister. The puppy obviously had the addition of her sire's genetics and looked nothing like my original dog, but her temperament was near exact to his. I've got a son from her now and he's very alike in temperament to his mum/uncle also. I think some bloodlines can throw the same strongly and others are more easily influenced

Yes and no, it is possible and relaying your desires for another with a very similar temperament to the breeder would allow them to select a puppy that is most likely to be a good match :)

ETA: if you just go in and pick a random puppy from that litter then the chances of getting one similar in temperament will lessen.

Edited by Aziah

Someone told me that the temperaments should be the same but that their personalities would still be different.

Not necessarily, any combination of genetics can occur within one or ten litters of pups, two pups who have similar temperaments at a young age who are raised the same way wont necessarily have the same temperament as they grow

I have had full siblings, some similar some VERY different. Is the temperament you have typical of the breed or different in some fundamental way?

He's temperament is great as the breed should be (GSP). He is my 3rd GSP and I adore the breed, but he is just really 'special'. He's only 7 months old so I guess he could turn into a teenage monster at anytime but I just feel like there is something different about him. He has a calmness about him that I haven't experienced with my other dogs (although he does have a typical GSP zoomie time everyday and goes totally beserk when you come home, even if you have only been gone for 5 minutes!)

It could just be that I've found my 'heart' dog and has absolutely nothing to do with his breeding :)

Edited by fiveplusone

Lots of genetics and how you bring them up. Could be your more relaxed in life, and that is reflected in the way your bringing up your dog.

Your calm and he follows.

Great to hear you've found a dog to return the love.

Just a hypothetical question to those smart people here that know about these things.

If you had a dog that was just the best in every way , behaved beautifully, awesome temperament, intelligent, gentle, loving, etc etc does that mean if you purchase another puppy later from a litter from the same parents, would you likely get another fantastic dog that is similar to the original pup? (assuming that the new pup is raised the same way as the first puppy, in the same enviroment by the same owners etc), or is it like human children where they can be very different even though they have the same parents?

Just wondering, that's all, as I was thinking how incredibly blessed we have been with our puppy and couldn't imagine another dog being so good :laugh:

If both parents are stable in temperament you have a good start.

Which each puppy comes a different temperament so this is where you would rely on your Breeder to help select a pup for you based on what temperament/personality you are looking for.

I've heard people mention a fair few times that they'll always be the ADHD pup in the litter, how true that is I don't know.

Someone told me that the temperaments should be the same but that their personalities would still be different.

Not necessarily, any combination of genetics can occur within one or ten litters of pups, two pups who have similar temperaments at a young age who are raised the same way wont necessarily have the same temperament as they grow

I was told that ideally all pups should have the same basic qualities eg they have stable temperaments, good health etc. But then you can have the bouncy one that likes to play all day and the chilled one etc

With my two, they come from very similar lines and I can see some identical elements but they are completely different dogs. Bubby is super mellow whereas Bitty is insane.

My two GSD's are half brothers...and couldn't be more different :o The first one is almost perfect in health, temp, behaviour - the second is a shocker and with Bronx being so good it just makes more Sabre seem even worse!

I like the "temperament the same, personality different" idea. You would hope that there would be similarities between siblings, even from different litters, but silly to think they be the same in every way! You would also think that if they were more closely bred, line bred, that setting of temperament should be more definite. I often see my young dogs litter mate, and although there are things that set them worlds apart (I have the over the top feral one :) and the brother is the laid back one), there are still elements that are so very similar, which is also in their father, and one of the big reasons I chose the breeding. Both have friendly, outgoing natures with strong working desire. It's the reason my next GSP will most likely be from the same dog, or his son :o