What Made You Choose Your Breed?

haylz27

Hey Ho hayley - welcome to the world of DOL!

I have three Finnish Lapphunds, will be adding to that sometime soon :stupid: My family had corgies (my mum bred cardies) - my grandparents had daschies (my grand dad still has one!) . When I left home I got a good farm kelpie x bc - she was sooooo smart! Loved my girl. My husband (now ex, but we're still good friends!) got a cattle dog x - from a pet shop.... had both of these dogs for many years, my kelpie outlived the cattle dog x (he died from complications from diabeties....was rather awful).

After all that, I said to my now DH that our next babies were def going to be pedigree cause I want to know what we're getting...! And I could never get another kelpie, cause my old girl had been so special :eat:

We did lots and lots of resseach, came across Finnish Lapphunds and were sold. I have to say, we are totally dedicated to our breed, we're a Lappie family! They is the cuddliest, most people orientated breed I have ever had (they are esp fascinated by kids), and they are really our babies! :) And while they are very much a spitz breed, they aren't as full on as other spitzes - and all they want to do is to be with you! So we shall be Lappie people for many years to come!

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My family on my step-dad's side has always had Danes, for literally generations. When he met my mother, it was a case of "I love you, but I hate the dogs", and so I hadn't met a Dane until I was 16, when I met mine. Yep, first dog, never had the breed, never even met the breed, and I got one. :eat: Don't give me the DOL "you're stupid" talk, I know it, I tell myself all the time :stupid:

Anyway, I love Dobermanns. I love Wolfhounds. I love Airedales. I love Saint Bernards. I love Greyhounds. I love Dogues. I love a seeminly endless list of breeds. BUT the breed that first left inch-deep impressions on my heart is the Great Dane.

I love how they can weigh upwards of 60 kilos but they seriously and utterly believe that they are a toy breed, of a petite 2 kilos, and therefore you will not even notice their feather-light body drifting onto your lap from halfway across the room.

I love how mine is not allowed in the kitchen under any reason, but she stand on her 'line' by the door and slobbers while watching me cook.

I love how when I taught her "shake", I didn't take into account that this meant "by all means, use your shovel sized foot to repeatedly smash me in the wrist, fingers, inner elbow, breasts, sternum, throat and stomach"

I love how they run. They remind me of ponies with mental development issues.

I love how I buy her a $80 collar and a week later it's too tight.

I love how the vet pales when he sees her, and realises his scales in the waiting room are at waist height.

I love how I always end up sharing my bed, my pillow, my towel, my slippers and my morning biscuit.

I love how beautifuly ugly she is.

I will definately own another.

I have had 2 huskies. Ever since I was a child I wanted one. I didn't have an imaginary friend. I had an imaginary husky.

I had one girl who died tragically at 9 months before I got my current girl Esky.

Originally I decided I wanted a dog that would punish me for not exercising it. One that would chew, dig and destroy. No seriously!

I was getting too big for my liking and wanted an exercise partner.

Although I love huskies my next dog will be a Finnish Lapphund for sure.

They're everything I love about huskies. Plus the cuddly personality my boyfriend and I really want!

My family on my step-dad's side has always had Danes, for literally generations. When he met my mother, it was a case of "I love you, but I hate the dogs", and so I hadn't met a Dane until I was 16, when I met mine. Yep, first dog, never had the breed, never even met the breed, and I got one. :) Don't give me the DOL "you're stupid" talk, I know it, I tell myself all the time :stupid:

Anyway, I love Dobermanns. I love Wolfhounds. I love Airedales. I love Saint Bernards. I love Greyhounds. I love Dogues. I love a seeminly endless list of breeds. BUT the breed that first left inch-deep impressions on my heart is the Great Dane.

I love how they can weigh upwards of 60 kilos but they seriously and utterly believe that they are a toy breed, of a petite 2 kilos, and therefore you will not even notice their feather-light body drifting onto your lap from halfway across the room.

I love how mine is not allowed in the kitchen under any reason, but she stand on her 'line' by the door and slobbers while watching me cook.

I love how when I taught her "shake", I didn't take into account that this meant "by all means, use your shovel sized foot to repeatedly smash me in the wrist, fingers, inner elbow, breasts, sternum, throat and stomach"

I love how the vet pales when he sees her, and realises his scales in the waiting room are at waist height.

I love how I always end up sharing my bed, my pillow, my towel, my slippers and my morning biscuit.

Bahahahaha, you made me cry tears of laughter. :eat:

I still can't choose my favourite breed. I have had pure Rotties, a GSD and now have a gorgeous yellow lab. But through fostering I have had mastiffs, dobes and all kinds of x-breeds.

As long as they are big, I love them!

i used to go for coats

soft and nice to stroke

so i loved spaniels

loved their soft nature too

but now i go for the exotics

if i could id get a borzoi

i go for looks now...cos im more experienced and i can put up with the challenge of training something that is not as easy as some of the breeds ive had in the past like goldies and gsds

im over the common breeds...oh i do appreciate a good looking one...but the more common the breed, the more the faults are noticed by me and it is nigh impossible to get a great specimen if you admit you dont want to show

so if you choose the less common breeds you dont have so many to compare it to...shallow i know ...

so as long as theyre not big on doggy odour or drool as long as it isnt a fighting breed or a working breed, ill consider it

i used to love beardies but i dont like wet fur round the face ...i dont like staining

the older you get...it seems to me anyway...the more specific your requirements become

cos youve tried so many

breeds and know that no breed is perfect..only the individual within that breed might be close to perfect

in the end it is temperament...and even then i have changed

i never saw the point of having an aloof dog like a sighthound

but im drawn to that now

I don't actually have a favourite breed yet and may never have one. I generally fall for a dogs personality, currently we have 3 staffy X's which was not deliberate at all, I have owned kelpies, borders, a rotty, and a rotty X ridgeback in the past.

I think I will just continue to fall for the nature and habits of a dog over breed, which in some ways makes it hard to choose a puppy as they haven't developed their ways, I know if I get one I can help to shape it but if it doesn't happen I am sure the older dogs I fall for will not be complaining :stupid:

Hi! Welcome!

It's kinda funny because I'm not all that a big fan of small breed dogs, but now I own 2 of them. They are simply my world and biggest joy!!

Charlie is a Cavalier x Shih Tzu: When I was looking for a puppy, i was looking for a CKCS or Shih Tzu (I decided not to get a spitz breeds after breaking up with the boyfriend and leaving my 2 huskies behind)... and my friend told me she knew a person who just has a Cav x Shih Tzu through a surprised and accident birth. At first sight, we just belong together. He followed me home and is still following me around till this day. He is the best dog ever. Never a naughty puppy, has the most gentle, placid and sweetest temperament, loves people, dogs and amazing with kids. But, he is full of attitude also that keeps us amused. Very smart and picks up everything quickly, and he will work for kisses and cuddles because the main goal in his life to make me happy.

When it was time to look for a second dog.. we had to get another small breed dog. I researched other breeds, but I couldn't turn my head on Japanese Spitz. I love that they are feisty, busy, energetic and is a big dog in a small body, the more I researched on them, talked to other owners and breeders, I knew we had to get one. Emmy came into our life, and is simply a joy. She is exteremly smart - she picks up tricks and training at one go, but the biggest challenge for me is to keep her interested in training because she has no attention span (first dog ever, that i have to remind to finish her dinner because she gets distracted so easily). Emmy is very independent, fearless, stubborn and willful (she will take on anything heads on... first time she saw a mirror instead of being weary about it... she run straight into the mirror and nearly knocks herself out.. she was about 9 weeks old!), but also very very affectionate. She is very funny and makes us laugh everyday with her curiousity, her spunkiest and her happy energy. She always runs around with this goofy grin on her face.

the reason i got my mini schanuzer is because:

i wanted something very different from my rough collie previously -as in personality because i was still heartbroken about saying goodbye 2 years previous

i wanted something that was non-shedding and smaller

i wanted something with less drive but still has a bit of spunk

something that could take as much exercise as i could give it (usually 2x's daily) but if it was cold would be happy to snuggle in front of the fire instead

something easy to train and would fit in with my older, inherited cats

i couldn't go past the mini schnauzer. i love other breeds but my boy is perfect for what i need right now and my lifestyle. i'm not sure i'll always own a schnauzer but i love their style and spunk so it is pretty likely that i will!

:( All so true, especially the running one................................and the lap-dog one.............................and the shake one...................etc.

I have Danes and agree with all these. I will never be without one. :eek:

I have two black tri Aussies and will have black tri number three in a few weeks when a little boy from SA will be joining the herd.

We got our first Aussie because my husband decreed he didn't want a dog that looked like an alien...............I was angling for a small brachy breed..................and they sounded like the right fit for us. Thank god we went with his idea and not mine, because I can't think of a more fabulous breed to own. Thay are smart, loyal, amazingly funny and it wouldn't suprise me if mine started talking one day. In fact, Dusty moves her mouth when I'm patting her, and I swear she's trying to get words out.

My fav breed is the Aust Koolie :( I only heard about this breed nearly 2 years ago when i found my gorgeous baby boy at the pet shop. I have since found out everything i can about the breed and fully intend to get another one as my next dog. He has to have his exercise...he is a working breed, duh...but when we're at home he follows me around the house and curls up near me wherever i am. He is my little buddy my best companion

I have a Shih Tzu and a Golden Retriever.

I chose the Shih Tzu as I love their squishy faces and beautiful temperament. They are a big dog in a small body, don't shed or smell and are very robust little dogs (If purchased from a good breeder). I tried to keep Daisy in her full coat but it was too much work as she loves to play in the mud, go to the beach and go bushwalking with us. She is much happier clipped off. She is obsessed with balls and will play fetch for hours. She really is the best little dog I could have asked for.

We had our first retriever 11 years ago and after he passed away I thought I would never get another one as it would be too much to ask to have another perfect large dog. I was wrong, retrievers are great dogs. As soon as Freddy arrived I knew what my heart was missing and it was a retriever in the house. Sure the hair goes everywhere and they love to be dirty all the time but I wouldn't miss their smiling face and amazing cuddles for anything in the world.

I think these are the two breeds I will always have at least one of in my house. They are very different but I wouldn't be without either one of them.

And welcome to the forum :(

In our younger year :thumbsup: hubby and I were were both extremely fit. OH wanted a dog that he could jog with, I wouldn't and he got lonely jogging 10km a day on his own :eek: It took us two years of discussions before we both decided on a breed we thought would suit our lifestyle and our first BORDER COLLIE entered our home.

Needless to say we are devoted to this breed and can never see ourselves without one. They are more intelligent than most people I know, they do not suffer fools easily (neither do I) and I love the challenge that living with them brings. They are beautiful to look at and they can do it all!!! The perfect dog in my eyes :(

5 years ago, a tan and white bundle of mischief entered my life in the form of a Whippet puppy. I fell in love the very first time I saw her and my house will never be without a Whippet either now. Why these dogs aren't more popular as family pets is beyond me, they're perfect! Love my Whippy girl xx

My family on my step-dad's side has always had Danes, for literally generations. When he met my mother, it was a case of "I love you, but I hate the dogs", and so I hadn't met a Dane until I was 16, when I met mine. Yep, first dog, never had the breed, never even met the breed, and I got one. :thumbsup: Don't give me the DOL "you're stupid" talk, I know it, I tell myself all the time :(

I think I've fallen in love with a Great Dane just by reading about it! :eek::thumbsup:

Owned by Poodles here. My family had minature poodles and I lived near a breeder/exhibitor of the breed, so I truly fell in love with the breed. When I moved out of home into rental I purchased my first toy poodle for company. Added bonus was no shedding no smell.....made it easier for landlords to accept a resident dog. The happy temperament of a poodle was a big plus.

Hi Hayley

Welcome to DOL :)

I grew up with GSD's [grandfather and father had them] and Cocker Spaniels [other grandparents bred them] but when I was in my teens I was at the Royal Show one year and fell in love with Belgian Shepherds. Nothing would stop me from owning one, and the more I learnt about the breed the more I fell in love :( Though I have to say that the BSD people in Perth at the time where horrible to me :D Unfortunately for them it made me all the more determined :(

Eventually after moving out of home I bought my first Belgian Shepherd way back in 1995 and then in 1997 I got my second one - I now have 5 of them living at home with me - 3 of which I have bred myself. I bred my first litter in 2001.

The funny thing is that my father who had had GSD's all his life, fell in love with my first Belgian [be Be] and after his last GSD died he got himself a Belgian Shepherd :)

What do I love about them? They are highly intelligent, easy to train, have a wonderful quirky sense of humour and are a joy to live with :) They are higly versatile - dogs of my breeding are involved in the following - assistance dog, search and rescue, obedience, agility, herding, conformation and most and best of all VIP's [Very Important Pets]

I could not imagine my life without a Belgian Shepherd in it :cheer: But must admit they are not the breed for everyone :D

post-6250-1275004642_thumb.jpg

Aussie Shepherds are my breed! :D

What's not to love? :rofl:

25384_1388081261736_1223209651_31134752_4337424_n.jpg

What initially drew me to the breed was the coat and the colours. I love that each Aussie can have such a range of marking.

What is going to keep me in the breed is their personalities. I love that they just adore being with you, they can be go go go all day with you if that's what you want to do but they love to curl up and snooze at your feet if you study all day. :rofl: I love the fact they get along well with other dogs, teaching them news things is easy and the can be trusted off lead. I love the whole body wiggles that occur when they are happy.

What made you choose your favourite breed?

My favourite breeds will always be the Rotti. I have owned several, and they are just the most gentle giants I have ever come across. I would have one now, but I just don't have the room or the energy anymore to own them. I so wish I could.

I have a Pug at the moment who is just perfect for us, size wise and energy wise. Her name is Zoe, she's in my signature.

What do you love about them?

Rotti ~ They are such a placid gentle dog. I have never had one growl or bite. They are very obedient to command and are great at training. They can protect you one minute and they are like a teddy bear the next. I have never loved a breed more than Rotti's.

Pugs ~ They are a bundle of energy one minute and snoring the next. If they can they will lord over you, so you have to show them who's boss....well try to. Its very hard when they are looking at you with those huge puddling eyes and that sad face, and you can just hear the slight crying coming from them.....

Do you currently own this breed or want to?

Rotti ~ Unfortunately I don't have the room or yard to house a Rotti anymore, plus they need more exercise than I am able to give.

Pug ~ Yes I do. Zoe is now 19wks old and is the love of my life. She fits into our family perfectly, when I want to play she is ready, when I want to just laze around or snooze she's there as well. She's a great companion.

BF

Welcome Hayley,

I have two wheaten terriers.

Wheatens have got everything; friendliness, energy, intelligence (too much sometimes!) and a sense of humour. I love how everyone is a friend they haven't met yet, and how I get stopped in the street for people to ask about them and people point them out from car windows and smile.

I love their beautiful soft coat, and the hair that falls over their brown eyes and their big black noses. I love how they doing jumps and whirls when I get home from work and how whenever I start talking to Ziggy his tail starts going 100 miles and minute.

I love how they give me exhuberant kisses :rofl:

I love how when you watch a wheaten run, you can see they are beautiful and streamlined because they are a very, very old dog breed.

post-13205-1275029919_thumb.jpg