Worst Excuses For Re-homing Or Surrendering A Pet

PeiPei

Both my dogs are rescues. The Irish Terrier was given up at 10 months old because he was the husband's dog and the husband was now working in Abu Dhai or some such. The wife worked 12 hours shift work and had a 11 yr old son, but they just left the pup in the courtyard, never walking or training it ... and low and behold it started to BARK! At least she had the sense to contact Irish Terrier Rescue in the UK, but the lady she first talked to gave her such a yelling at she nearly didn't call back. The breeder, by the way, would have taken the dog back like a shot, but was never consulted until the rescue was a done deal. They were furious with just about everyone, but very nice to me as a new IT owner.

The cattle dog/Kelpie was given up at 8 yrs old because .... they were moving house. She came to me with an untreated, partially healed cruciate ligament tear. But she is an old dear, really. Good thing the boy IT is such a sook, she pushes him around something awful!

Most of the rescues I've participated in have been animals that were driven to a park or parking lot and pushed out of the car. God, I could happily do the same to those people. Why do they do it? Because they would have to pay a fee to turn it into a shelter. :mad

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My rescue kelpie*ACD came because the lovely man who adopted him as a badly beaten pup died. His family (all with a full dog quota or the inability to have a dog like this) decided to find him a forever home. The first one didn't work out so I said I would care for him until a new home was found - never happened and never will. He is with his forever family.

Just to put out a thought of mine (which has been mentioned a few times) - not all excuses are bad excuses and sometimes if a dog doesn't fit the best thing is to find it a new home. But to me that doesn't mean surrender him to a possibly PTS situation but find a new home for it yourself or someone willing to do it. If it is a dog that should be PTS the owners should have the guts to do this.

I rehomed a rescue shepherd years ago (he was surrendered due to owners moving???). He just didn't fit with my other dogs or me, not a bad not-fit but he was unhappy, and a friend's family seemed more suitable. They took him gladly and loved him to the minute he died. He is still 'the hero dog' in their minds. The thing is with me he was always a bit nervy and sometimes dog-aggressive. With them he was dog-friendly, and not at all nervy. He needed a man to idolize and I couldn't be that.

Dog is old and no longer fun to have around

Kids have moved out and don’t look after the dog anymore

Add to that, "the Easter break is coming up", gosh what a coincidence. (the powerboat, caravan and all parked out front and ready to go).

As a kid mum had a habit of rehoming alot of our pets, l'm sure she was on first name bases at the local RSPCA. l remember when l was about 12 we had 2 fox terriers mum bought from a byb they had a few litters etc etc, one day the male chased the family cat so off he went to the RSPCA because apparently he could not be trusted anymore, the next week the girl went too because she was lonely without him. Present day she is registered breeder but dogs still move thru her place at lightening fast pace :(

Edited by Sir Sniffalot

The moving one gets me too...

When we were house hunting a few years ago I ruled out any houses that had inappropriate yards for the dogs! There was one beautiful house but it was on a very steep hill, it was basically all sloped/tiered garden and no lawn. I loved that house but it was no good for the dogs so it was out.

We ended up settling on a lesser suburb with a nice yard for the dogs. I will always have dogs, so they come into the picture when we are house hunting too.

One that REALLY annoys me is the excuse of "The landlord found out". Ummm did you really think you could keep a dog in a rental when you KNEW you weren't allowed to?

When I was a vollie at a shelter there was a beautiful pair of dogs surrendered together because the owner's broke up and neither wanted them. I use to see a lot of "Moving Houses", "Escapes", "No Time".

It's pretty sad, the only time I would give my dogs up is if I could no longer provide the quality of life they deserve, otherwise I would go without to make sure they are well fed and looked after.

Some times being surrendered is the best thing that could happen, especially in the case of my Rottie who for the first 14 mths of her life were spent on a chain starved and bashed. I don't know what the excuse was for surrendering her as there are many but it saved her life. She has been with us now for 7 yrs and has been the most wonderful,gentle and loving girl a credit to her breed. :thumbsup:

Guest Augustine Approved

When I used to do some volunteer work at Lort Smith a woman came in and surrendered a dog that she no longer wanted and asked the staff if she could look around and see if there was another dog there she would like to adopt.

At my work we have classifieds where people post about giving away their dog for one reason or another. What really bugs me is when they try to manipulate people by saying...if you don't take the dog by such a such time, it will be going to the pound, or worse PTS. :mad

At my work we have classifieds where people post about giving away their dog for one reason or another. What really bugs me is when they try to manipulate people by saying...if you don't take the dog by such a such time, it will be going to the pound, or worse PTS. :mad

I hate when they say that but they want several hundreds of dollars for the dog not a give away yet the alternative is the pound :mad

I hate when they say that but they want several hundreds of dollars for the dog not a give away yet the alternative is the pound :mad

I don't buy into that kind of emotional black mail and neither should other people. I stand up to those who talk crap like that.

And they turn up on your doorstep when you are working telling you if you don't take it now its going to the pound, as they know you have something to do with rescue :mad

( Then 2 months later have another dog, same breed, but a mini, so not destructive....apparantly, and now looking at breeding, so kids can see pups)

And then there's the neighbour who turned up at the door wanting a good home for his dog too, but then wanted to know if he got the adoption fee when she was rehomed( after the rescue got her desexed, vacc's etc), and he drove a sports lexus! :eek:

Edited by juice

And they turn up on your doorstep when you are working telling you if you don't take it now its going to the pound, as they know you have something to do with rescue :mad

( Then 2 months later have another dog, same breed, but a mini, so not destructive....apparantly, and now looking at breeding, so kids can see pups)

And then there's the neighbour who turned up at the door wanting a good home for his dog too, but then wanted to know if he got the adoption fee when she was rehomed( after the rescue got her desexed, vacc's etc), and he drove a sports lexus! :eek:

that's how he got the sports lexus...from being a guilt-free tight-ar*e

Dog came back to me because the woman claimed she was a vegetarian and didn't like handling his food.

Ummm... he's a dog. He eats MEAT :laugh:

You would be amazed at how many people feed their dogs Vegan Kibble! :mad

Defence force housing is pet friendly, my son is in the army and he has two dogs. Wherever he moves to, the dogs move too. He was stationed in Afghanistan last year, his girlfriend looked after the dogs while he was away.

He's moving from Brisbane to Canberra in a few weeks, so are the dogs.

Hence I never understood the thread where a soldier had to give up his dog when he was posted overseas.

Oversea is entirely different from Interstate. Clearly you cannot take your dog O/S. If he had no family to take it sadly he probably would have to surrender it. :(

I did make me wonder how many 'strays' are dropped off to the vet by their family who dont want to surrender the dog themselves.....

It happens a lot - strays don't attract a surrender fee...

I was at my local pound one day when a couple brought in a "stray" with a huge mammary tumour - once they'd signed the paperwork for dropping off the "stray", they asked if they would be allowed to adopt it from the pound if it's "owners didn't come get it" - the pound staff said no problems if they wanted to adopt the dog once it had served it's impound time... then the people said "so that thing on her belly will be removed before she's allowed to be adopted, right?", and the pound staff said "no, that will cost you extra"... funnily enough no-one heard from them again.

Interesting note about that dog - she was the shyest thing with strangers, but had snuggled quite happily in the arms of the person who brought her in. We strongly suspect that they were the actual owners and were looking for a cheap way to get the mammary tumour seen to. Upside was that Millie was taken by rescue, had her surgeries for the tumour and desexing (separately)... and is now living the life of a totally spoiled princess in Townsville... *grin*

T.

As many have said before - Sometimes the best things that could happen to these lovely animals is to be rehomed so they can find a loving family. Just like this :)

Sometimes.

My daughter knows a family around the corner who seem to have a different dog every few months. They have no fences and the dogs they get are either Borer Collie, Kelpie or GSD crosses. The dogs are nuisences and often will run out at you if you walk by with your dog on lead.

Their young daughter has often told my daughter "Oh, we gave so and so "away" cos he/she was no good but we are getting a new dog, yep, from the pound.

They should run a "black list" at pounds for these types of people.

Defence force housing is pet friendly, my son is in the army and he has two dogs. Wherever he moves to, the dogs move too. He was stationed in Afghanistan last year, his girlfriend looked after the dogs while he was away.

He's moving from Brisbane to Canberra in a few weeks, so are the dogs.

Hence I never understood the thread where a soldier had to give up his dog when he was posted overseas.

Oversea is entirely different from Interstate. Clearly you cannot take your dog O/S. If he had no family to take it sadly he probably would have to surrender it. :(

I agree. Going overseas is a good reason to rehome a dog. I've seen some people ask for a home for two years and wonder how the dog will cope moving from home to home? I can understand though, giving up your beloved pet would not be easy.