Puppies Dying

Monteba

Hello

We had a litter of 6 on Friday night we have 3 left

They go from feeding well and vigorously to limp within an hour never seen anything like it :laugh:

Edited to add : we thought the 4th pup had died had gone stiff and no detectable heartbeat for over half an hour

took him back home with me

put him in a box with a blanket 15 minutes after that I saw his paw move and I thought was just seeing things

he has since started moving more and has had a drink from the bottle

Do I think he will make it no not really but it is very very very odd

Has anyone had this sort of thing happen feel like Ive entered the twilight zone

Edited by Monteba

Hello

They go from feeding well and vigorously to limp within an hour never seen anything like it :laugh:

I lost 5 from 10 in this way a few years ago.

We lost two in the manner you speak of so took entire litter to the Vet.

After a THOROUGH examination of remaining pups, Vet said they are all in good health and doing well.

Over the next week we lost another 3.

Fine and feeding one minute and dead the next. No explanation for it and awfully upsetting.

Different to fading puppies as there is no gradual decline, no crying, no refusing to feed etc.

I had an autopsy performed on the last two that died and there was absolutely nothing obvious. They even had full tummies when they died.

I was so devastated I had decided then to never ever breed again. It was some years later that I eventually did.

Just don't beat yourself up over it. I had done everything right as I am sure you have.

ETA - Cockerlover, good thought RE toxic milk. Worth having checked. Wasn't the case with my bitch.

Also, may or may not be related, but 3 of the surviving pups matured with numerous health concerns - all very different concerns, but all very difficult to diagnose and treat. I have bred along these lines since and have had absolutely NO problems again at all.

Edited by jerojath

my friend went through this nightmare. after most of the litter was already dead and demanded the vet put them on antibiotics since they had no idea and figured what was there to lose, and bingo the deaths stopped.

ok never knew why but it worked, soo wont hurt to ask, well in her case demanded.

my friend went through this nightmare. after most of the litter was already dead and demanded the vet put them on antibiotics since they had no idea and figured what was there to lose, and bingo the deaths stopped.

ok never knew why but it worked, soo wont hurt to ask, well in her case demanded.

Oh Vicki so sorry to hear your distressing news. Hopefully the vet has some answers for you. :laugh:

Yes a friend lost 3 in her litter. Had an autopsy done on one and it was found to have a very bad e-coli infection. All remaining pups were already on ab's so their dose was increased and all were fine. General chat with my vet about this and she said the main root of infection was probably through the umbilical cord. We always dab our umbilical cords with "Betadine or Vetadine" at leat twice a day. May be worth trying this and having the others on ab'.

Hello everyone

Just an update we have one pup still with mum adn doing wonderfully

Another is at a breeder friends ( thank you so much Yarrowfell you are amazing ) adn she is tubefeeding him and he is also doing well and getting stronger and gaining weight :laugh:

Edited by Monteba

Hello

Edited to add : we thought the 4th pup had died had gone stiff and no detectable heartbeat for over half an hour

put him in a box with a blanket 15 minutes after that I saw his paw move and I thought was just seeing things

Has anyone had this sort of thing happen feel like Ive entered the twilight zone

I have only recently discovered this forum and love reading everyone's advice and information. I have followed the many litters born over the past couple of months. We have a litter of 5 two week old Pugs as we speak.

We have been registered breeders for about 8 years and 6 years ago we discovered Nutri-drops. It is a high energy mixture full of vitamins for newborn puppies, slow whelping dogs and sick/stressed dogs. We have used it on many puppies that need a boost with excellent results.

Hello

Did they go from limp to stiff as a board

as if the puppy was made of wood?

You think that's it the puppy is dead, and then a few minutes later it morphs back to normal ..

Have experienced this, very disturbing as ythere is nothing you can do to alleviate.

Research came up with E coli possibility also hypoglycemia.

Caused possibly by inability to effectively metabolise what is ingested.

There was a thread on it a while back, from memory Steve lost a whole litter (???) from pups going stiff as a board .. wil try to find the thread as memory sketchy :o

Edited by lilli

sorry, Monteba, Nutridrops can help. So can keeping tthe pups a little warmer than usual.

Search "stiff puppies" and Jed or Steve . Huge thread some time ago, everyone's vet thought something different.

Worth reading. Here you go

http://www.dolforums.com.au/index.php?show...p;hl=stiff+pups

Wundahoo has some interesting t hings to ssay :laugh:

Edited by Jed

From rescue work, I have lost kittens in the same way, best I could put it down to was herpes.

One kitten we prolonged its life as long as possible and i think its the worst thing we ever did, we worked around the clock tube/bottle feeding etc and in the end it kept growing BUT grew almost alien like, its face became elongated like a dog, it was very bizarre to watch and absolutely heart breaking when I lost her.

Mother nature knows best, sometimes they just arent meant to me and we will never know exactly why.

Its heart breaking not to put your all into saving them, from previous experience most of my efforts have been futile though :laugh:

(I would like to add, the instances I have seen this have come from already sick, rescue animals, not experienced it in planned matings for myself)

Edited by ~Myschafis~