I Fell In Love With A Greyhound Yesterday

SeeGee

Yes .....but what are they like as watchdogs?

My postie was initially a bit put off by 2 big dogs launching at the front door for cuddles :rofl:

Their size might be a deterrent but mine don't bark at people walking past (though bark when the guy down the road walks his greyhounds past the house). Why get off a bed if you are comfortable?

185.jpg

183.jpg

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My postie was initially a bit put off by 2 big dogs launching at the front door for cuddles :rofl:

Their size might be a deterrent but mine don't bark at people walking past (though bark when the guy down the road walks his greyhounds past the house). Why get off a bed if you are comfortable?

185.jpg

183.jpg

Nothing beats a warm, soft and comfy bed and greyhounds are only too aware of that :D .

Photos are adorable, lucky pooches. :o

I agree with you - wonderful dogs. I met a lady recently who was walking 4 (2 retired racing dogs and 2 rescue dogs). They were remarkably well behaved for her. I stopped and had a chat with her about them and she confirmed that they are the best couch potato dogs in the world, very lazy, easy to groom etc. She said that they have a 30 min walk daily (though on rainy days they don't go out) and they don't need to run. They only race if trained too, in fact she stated that after a 30 min walk, they are tired and will go back to sleeping their 21hrs per day!! They all had lovely natures and I've thought about rescuing one later on down the track.

I agree with you - wonderful dogs. I met a lady recently who was walking 4 (2 retired racing dogs and 2 rescue dogs). They were remarkably well behaved for her. I stopped and had a chat with her about them and she confirmed that they are the best couch potato dogs in the world, very lazy, easy to groom etc. She said that they have a 30 min walk daily (though on rainy days they don't go out) and they don't need to run. They only race if trained too, in fact she stated that after a 30 min walk, they are tired and will go back to sleeping their 21hrs per day!! They all had lovely natures and I've thought about rescuing one later on down the track.

Patch would chuck a tanty if we made him walk 30 mins every day! He puts the brakes on when he has had enough and refuses to walk any further after about 10 mins :rofl:

bloody fantastic - they'll watch the burglers come in, and watch them leave with your stuff :rofl:

Well, that is one breed of dog that believes in sharing :D . Totally selfless and generous :o

I think all who meet Sharnie falls in love with her. We have been doing some training with Jane and Sharnie too and our tibbie was an absolute horror when he first met Sharnie. Sharnie completely ignored him. It was like he wasn't even there. Ten minutes later, Miki stopped carrying on and trotted calmly next to Sharnie as if they were the best of friends. I had to stop my husband from begging Jane to let us have Sharnie! He would have gotten down on his knees, he was so impressed with this beautiful, calm dog. We are now on the GAP waiting list for our 'Sharnie'. Jane is a wonderful trainer, incredibly supportive and patient. She has made a huge difference to Miki's life and ours too.

I too would love to have one someday.

We had a deerhound who was like a giant hairy greyhound - he was a lovely calm quiet sweet natured boy who was friendly with everyone including our cats. Very sadly we lost him to bone cancer just before his 5th birthday.

Hehe...i was going to say they are great...they love to watch! :rofl::laugh:

ETA - one of the first Grey's i fell for was a big boofer called Bowie - so they also come in boofer size if you prefer ;)

Edited by KitKat

How could you not fall in love? I fostered one - and failed! After years of fostering hundreds of dogs and cats, this gorgeous little Greyhound puppy stole my heart. She is naughty and cheeky but so affectionate and sweet. I love her to bits. She loves to run but only for a few minutes. She loves her walks too. Don't recall ever hearing her bark, but she whinges and whines a lot! LOL! Oh and the screaming! Far out, I thought I had killed her the first week we had her! She came racing up to me on 3 legs, screaming her head off. Turned out she just had some tanbark between her toes! ROFL!!

I fostered a greyhound and too fell promptly head over heels in love!

Such beautiful, graceful, elegant dogs. Plus, she was so easy to keep indoors because she learned toilet training within a day and slept for about 12 hours, heh. She was extremely observant as well and such a big sook, always rubbing up for a cuddle!

About 5 years ago I fostered my first greyhound and he never left :laugh: That is him in my avatar photo. I have fostered several more since then, and also had another foster failure, so have two greys :rofl: Would never be without one in my life now ;)

Beautiful, beautiful dogs. Bianca is so calm and gentle with my elderly and very frail mother. She likes her walkies every day, but we only go around the block and she's happy with that. She's now 8 so zoomies are more rare now, and she spends a lot of time asleep. Funny tho - she's always awake before 4pm (dinnertime).

She can curl up into the tightest balls, but when she's asleep on my bed, she takes up more room than I do.

Everyone who meets her says how beautiful she is - her eyes have so much expression in them, and she's quite a princess. She's so very gentle meeting people, particularly children. My mum adores her, and she was very hesitant about having a large dog in the house.

I think all who meet Sharnie falls in love with her. We have been doing some training with Jane and Sharnie too and our tibbie was an absolute horror when he first met Sharnie. Sharnie completely ignored him. It was like he wasn't even there. Ten minutes later, Miki stopped carrying on and trotted calmly next to Sharnie as if they were the best of friends. I had to stop my husband from begging Jane to let us have Sharnie! He would have gotten down on his knees, he was so impressed with this beautiful, calm dog. We are now on the GAP waiting list for our 'Sharnie'. Jane is a wonderful trainer, incredibly supportive and patient. She has made a huge difference to Miki's life and ours too.

I was like your husband ESCS, I didnt want to stop stroking her. Her beautiful face, such a calm nature *sigh* (and yes, Jane is amazing, has help our family sooo much).

They only race if trained too, in fact she stated that after a 30 min walk, they are tired and will go back to sleeping their 21hrs per day!! They all had lovely natures and I've thought about rescuing one later on down the track.

do not underestimate what they are, very fast sight hounds driven by prey drive, who also happen to be very laid back, calm and loving. I have show bred greyhounds with no race blood in them, 2 out of the 3, are very keen and would certainly hunt if given the chance, yet they all live with my 3 cats.

I have to say Bosley was brilliant last Saturday. A friend came round and she roared out there with hackles up and doing her big warning bark. I had to tell him to wait until I had her leashed and muzzled before he and his dogs came in because I dont know her well enough to be sure how she'd behave. Once I reassured her he was OK she quickly settled but she actually made me think she might be good as a watch dog.

She was influenced by my whippets doing their crazy greeting dance.

Edited by Kirislin

Some greyhounds will guard, but for me it is not a desirable trait in a greyhound. They are not really supposed to show signs of aggression or anxiety towards strange people. A normal greyhound can be approached and patted by anyone.

Not to say that greyhounds that guard are not good, but it is not correct temperament for the breed.