House Sitting Advice

GSD FAN

Hi,

im looking at doing some house sitting in the northern suburbs of adelaide but have come across a major issue, people with pets to mind don't want a house sitter with pets of their own. I have a beautiful 10 year old german shepherd who's quiet and not a problem. So why can't people see through this? I have lots of experience with animals, having worked in vet clinics, as dog groomer etc. My question is - would any of you ever consider a house sitter with pets of their own?? Would love some advice.

Edited by GSD FAN

Hi GSD fan, though I can totally sympathise with your predicament, I am terribly sorry to say, but I would not have a house sitter with their own pets either. I am sure your GSD is just beautiful, and nothing against your dog, but last time I had a house sitter with their own dogs, the dogs peed in my house. There was pee that the sitter obviously did not find, but I certainly found it. I could smell it as soon as I walked inside. Now I am not saying whether it was her dogs or my dogs, and it really doesn't matter. The whole dynamics is altered when other animals enter the home, and then coupled with the home owners not being there, just not my idea of ideal, that's all.

I also know that the sitter I had insisted on minding her dogs in the manner that she would normally do (which is fair enough) but as it clashed with my methods, she refused to use my methods and my dogs ended up on her routine... so I came home to disaster. Never again.

Look I am not overly fond of having someone stay in my home anyway, but would consider it as a means of having my dogs taken care of. But to add more animals, even one more dog, just not for me, that's all.

I hope you do manage to find people more flexible than myself. No doubt there will be people out there. :)

Good luck with your house/pet sitting.

That's a no from me too.

The dynamics of a dog pack may be drastically changed by you bringing your own dog along. Never mind the fact that their actual owners are not around which can elevate stress in a lot of dogs.

Coupled with you being a complete stranger, as while you might think your dog is okay, I have had that said to me before and their dogs have turned out to NOT be ok. Sorry but when it comes to protecting my dogs, I am going to be over cautious.

Edited by shmoo

It would also be a no from me. I agree with the others, its difficult enough for my dogs to adjust to having a stranger in the house but to then add another dog would be asking for issues.

I feel the same

I wouldn't allow a pet sitter with a dog either. I cannot be sure they full understand what their dog is saying and the health and well being of my dogs come first.

If I come home to find dog pee in the house I would be less than impressed!

I would not risk any of my animals with a pet sitters dog.

Not saying you do not know what you are doing, and I am sure your boy is very well behaved, but we have all seen the results of unknown dogs meeting and people either not recognising signs or not realising until it is too late.

Another no here.

However I have house sat for another doler with my dogs with me BUT they did have yards so everyone was separate and I knew who could go with who. So no drama's but without those yards no way would I have done it.

it might work

if the people had a dog that loved company but generally i think people would say no

i guess theres enough to worry handing your pets and house to a relative stranger...mix in a dog...and theres a new pack of woes to take with you when you leave

it is a bummer and i can imagine how you feel

Another no here.

However I have house sat for another doler with my dogs with me BUT they did have yards so everyone was separate and I knew who could go with who. So no drama's but without those yards no way would I have done it.

and you did a brilliant job :laugh: Still makes me so happy that my darling old girl's routine wasn't disrupted at all.

I would say no as well, but then again I wouldn't even dream of ever getting a pet sitter, I would entrust either my parents or a close friend to look after them - in other words someone who knew them and their routine really well.

I don't think it is fair on your GSD or the pets who you are looking after to have to deal with a new and potentially unsettling/uncomfortable situation. I know that my boys dislike being away from their home for an extended period of time, can you guarantee your GSD would not have similar issues?

There is just too much risk involved to even consider it.

Another no here.

and you did a brilliant job :laugh: Still makes me so happy that my darling old girl's routine wasn't disrupted at all.

:rofl: It was a pleasure to spend the time with her. I saw so much of Carter in his mum and nanna.

Give them all snuggles from me!

Just to add to my earlier post, the lovely lady that sat for me was a good friend, and all our dogs knew each other very well, and had often visited each others' houses. It was still a disaster. The friend is still a good friend, but I just will not do it again.