Attacked By An Anatolian Shepherd

Cuchulain

Yesterday Max and I were attacked by an off-lead totally out of control Anatolian Shepherd. I am horrified! The attack happened at the Port Elizabeth Kennel Club while we were in an obedience class. The class was just lining up to begin and Max was sitting at heel next to me when this huge dog appeared from behind us. I managed to get between Max and the attacking dog but unfortunately the damage was all ready done. I left the class, with Max walking on 3 legs and NOBODY in the class even asked if Max or I were OK. When I'd walked the 500m to my van one of the club members who had witnessed the attack from the clubhouse came over to check on us. Max had a small, but gaping, wound on his left front leg and was carrying his left hind leg. Nothing was life-threatening! We were lucky!

I immediately left the club to travel home to Jeffreys Bay having phoned my vet to say we were coming. (It's a 45 minute trip) Max required a GA to inspect the damage properly and to clean and stitch it. There was a small puncture into the muscle with a laceration of the skin but, thank the gods, no major damage. I have some interesting-looking bruises on my left calf where I got between them!

What upsets me immensely is that the owner of this dog never bothered to check if either of us was hurt. She never said a word, never apologised, just joined the class once she'd got her dog under control. When I got home, while Max was still in the hospital recovering from the anaesthetic, I emailed the club requesting contact details for the owner of the dog - they are now ducking and diving and avoiding giving me the information I have requested. Talk about passing the buck! The secretary passed the problem to the chairman who passed it onto the head obedience instructor and I still don't have the information.

So far the bill is over ZAR1000 and I expect there will be more to come. Max is 10 months old today and I am terrified that this experience will affect his ability to interact with other dogs. Until yesterday he was a friendly out-going dog who saw everybody else (dog or human) as a friend and potential playmate. Today when I took him out to wee, he was scared of the dog next door looking over the fence.

Further investigation this morning reveals that the owner and dog have had 2 previous warnings at the club and the agility instructor has banned her from agility training sessions.

Thank you for listening! I am still so very angry about this. Surely a dog with a previous history of aggression should not be allowed at the club? Especially not off-lead! I honestly don't think I'll be going back to the club as I am afraid. They don't appear to take the safety of members and their dogs very seriously. What if it had attacked somebody smaller than me? What if it had attacked a smaller dog? What if it attacked a child? I guess what I'm really asking is: am I over-reacting?

EFS :)

Edited by Cuchulain

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow.. having rad your entire post I have to say I completely understand your outrage! What a horrible experience for both you and Max.. I'm very sorry :).

I cant believe more isn't being done to reprimand the owner of the anatolian and that they were even allowed to continue with the class after attacking your dog so badly! What a terrible example for the club to have set.

Further investigation this morning reveals that the owner and dog have had 2 previous warnings at the club and the agility instructor has banned her from agility training sessions.

How frustrating and NO you are not overreacting. I find it completely despicable that noboby approached you after the incident esp the owner of the dog and the instructor :) ! I am surprised that the owner, after having been previously warned at the club, actually had the hide

to make an appearance, what does it take for her to get the message? She obviously has a DA dog and should not be exposing other people's pets to this situation! Follow through with your complaint, the owner should be held accountable for your expenses at the vet. So sorry for the injuries you and your poor dog have sustained :eek: .

If the club does not hand over the owners details I would think you would have to tell them you will have to sue the club. I would be completely outraged if this happened to me. I can not believe that she just joined the class without bothering to see how you and your dog were. She should be expelled from the club.

Club should have insurance and should pay any bill for a dog injured on their grounds during an organised activity.

If the attacking dog has previous form for aggression on the grounds and the club hasn't acted to protect other dog owners, they won't have a leg to stand on in court.

Send a letter of demand to the club. Outline the situation and ask for payment. If they won't pay up, lawyer up.

Sorry to hear about the attack. :)

Edited by poodlefan

Poor you and poor Max. No, you're definitely not over-reacting - the club is not behaving well, and you need to pursue your claim with them.

Having said that, one of your main tasks now will be to do all you can to remind Max (and yourself) that, just like he used to think, most dogs are friendly. Can you find some friends with well behaved, friendly dogs that you can go walking with? Parallel on lead walking in the company of safe dogs is one of the best ways I know to get a dog to feel comfortable. You can start with the other dog/s whatever distance away Max feels comfortable, and then as he relaxes, gradually decrease the distance between you and Max, and the other person/dog combination. (Not sure I'm explaining this well - but basically you're just going for a walk with a friend/s, chatting as you go along.)

The parallel on leash walking helps to restore the dog's confidence, and yours. It's important, I think, to be going for a purposeful walk from point A to point B, rather than just meandering along - that will come later.

One of the most important things is not to feel sorry for Max (or at least, not let it show.) You need to act as normal as possible, and be cheerful - best help you can give him at present. (Hope you're a good actor :) )

awful, poor little Max. I would have died!!! just terrible. :)

Hope you are both OK.

I have rels in Pt Elizabeth too.

Tassie has good ideas. :eek:

I don't know what to say that has not been said. I'm so sorry this happened.xxxxx

As well as finding the contact details, have you put in a formal complaint with the club? Don't let them fob you off, I've heard of this happening so that too much time passes to make a complaint. Then they have to do something about it.

:rofl: thanks guys - Max seems OK. Now that the pain killers have kicked in he's not limping. He was friendly to 2 dogs at the Vet when I popped in to pick up some food for him and get Darren (our Vet) to say hi and make a fuss of him without "doing" anything to him. He doesn't like the barking in the neighbourhood and is showing some fear but I just carry on playing with him in the yard and I am trying not to show any reaction to his reaction - if you know what I mean?

I don't have any friends locally with friendly trustworthy dogs. My puppy school instructor from the club has 2 wonderful gentle dogs but she will be away until Tuesday next week at a show in Durban.

Tomorrow he has to go to the kennels and he's never been to kennels before so I hope that doesn't make things worse. I have to attend a funeral in Grahamstown (about 2 hours from where I live) and it isn't possible for him to come with me. This will be a whole family reunion thing (we only ever see each other at funerals these days!) and I will only pick him up on Friday. I'm not really happy about leaving him now, but I have no choice.

I have consulted a lawyer and things will be dealt with in the proper manner :rofl::mad She chose the wrong person to mess with as I don't back down! I do hope that some good will come of this and that the club deals with aggressive dogs more assertively in the future.

:rofl: thanks guys - Max seems OK. Now that the pain killers have kicked in he's not limping. He was friendly to 2 dogs at the Vet when I popped in to pick up some food for him and get Darren (our Vet) to say hi and make a fuss of him without "doing" anything to him. He doesn't like the barking in the neighbourhood and is showing some fear but I just carry on playing with him in the yard and I am trying not to show any reaction to his reaction - if you know what I mean?

I don't have any friends locally with friendly trustworthy dogs. My puppy school instructor from the club has 2 wonderful gentle dogs but she will be away until Tuesday next week at a show in Durban.

Tomorrow he has to go to the kennels and he's never been to kennels before so I hope that doesn't make things worse. I have to attend a funeral in Grahamstown (about 2 hours from where I live) and it isn't possible for him to come with me. This will be a whole family reunion thing (we only ever see each other at funerals these days!) and I will only pick him up on Friday. I'm not really happy about leaving him now, but I have no choice.

I have consulted a lawyer and things will be dealt with in the proper manner :rofl::mad She chose the wrong person to mess with as I don't back down! I do hope that some good will come of this and that the club deals with aggressive dogs more assertively in the future.

Good on you for taking it further!!!! Please let us know how you go :rofl:

I wrote a formal letter of complaint yesterday while waiting for Max to recover and followed it up this morning with another letter spelling out exactly what I expect from the club and the owner of the dog. I have heard nothing further from the club.

Basically from the club I have requested a ban on both the dog and owner - especially since this is not the first time this has happened.

From the owner I want ALL my vet's bills relating to this attack paid. I want the kennel surcharge for a dog on medication and extra care paid, and should it be necessary to get a qualified behaviourist in to help with sorting out any issues arising from this attack I expect her to pay that as well.

Now all I need is an address :rofl: DON'T MESS WITH ME OR MY DOG! :rofl:

........... and should it be necessary to get a qualified behaviourist in to help with sorting out any issues arising from this attack I expect her to pay that as well.

Now all I need is an address :) DON'T MESS WITH ME OR MY DOG! :party:

I was going to suggest seeing a behaviourist and billing the dogs owner.

And I agree with everyone else

Yesterday Max and I were attacked by an off-lead totally out of control Anatolian Shepherd. I am horrified! The attack happened at the Port Elizabeth Kennel Club while we were in an obedience class. The class was just lining up to begin and Max was sitting at heel next to me when this huge dog appeared from behind us. I managed to get between Max and the attacking dog but unfortunately the damage was all ready done. I left the class, with Max walking on 3 legs and NOBODY in the class even asked if Max or I were OK. When I'd walked the 500m to my van one of the club members who had witnessed the attack from the clubhouse came over to check on us. Max had a small, but gaping, wound on his left front leg and was carrying his left hind leg. Nothing was life-threatening! We were lucky!

I immediately left the club to travel home to Jeffreys Bay having phoned my vet to say we were coming. (It's a 45 minute trip) Max required a GA to inspect the damage properly and to clean and stitch it. There was a small puncture into the muscle with a laceration of the skin but, thank the gods, no major damage. I have some interesting-looking bruises on my left calf where I got between them!

What upsets me immensely is that the owner of this dog never bothered to check if either of us was hurt. She never said a word, never apologised, just joined the class once she'd got her dog under control. When I got home, while Max was still in the hospital recovering from the anaesthetic, I emailed the club requesting contact details for the owner of the dog - they are now ducking and diving and avoiding giving me the information I have requested. Talk about passing the buck! The secretary passed the problem to the chairman who passed it onto the head obedience instructor and I still don't have the information.

So far the bill is over ZAR1000 and I expect there will be more to come. Max is 10 months old today and I am terrified that this experience will affect his ability to interact with other dogs. Until yesterday he was a friendly out-going dog who saw everybody else (dog or human) as a friend and potential playmate. Today when I took him out to wee, he was scared of the dog next door looking over the fence.

Thank you for listening! I am still so very angry about this. Surely a dog with a previous history of aggression should not be allowed at the club? Especially not off-lead! I honestly don't think I'll be going back to the club as I am afraid. They don't appear to take the safety of members and their dogs very seriously. What if it had attacked somebody smaller than me? What if it had attacked a smaller dog? What if it attacked a child? I guess what I'm really asking is: am I over-reacting?

EFS :party:

I dont think you are over-reacting

but I do think that it is an overeaction :) to conclude the dog is HA towards children.

I hope you and your dog are both able to recover :rofl:

Edited by lilli