Morning Tea For The Judge & Steward/s

Rottsup

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Doesn't look good, when done to just the ring they will later be judged in - it's up to the committee to provide refreshments to the judge.

Hope the judge washed their hands after having a cream scone - imagine trying to get the jam out of your dogs coat!

Not in Australia becks. Some of our country shows are quite laid back.

I have had judges call me to the ring and ask me to organise a drink of some sort and I didn't win.

I have had judges tell me often about shows where they had to ask exhibitors to get a cold drink for them.

Some shows are just poorly run and/or don't have enough people to help.

Must have been good a show to get morning tea delivered.

Guest CaptainCourageous
Oh boy, the judges/stewards got morning tea? Lucky them!!! I wish someone would bring me scones or muffins when I'm stewarding!!!
Which shows have you been stewarding at? :rolleyes:

Our judges have an esky in their ring with ice & cold drinks.....dog forbid someone should have to make eye contact or hand a judge something.....lest they be accused !!

I would be over the moon for extra helpers to volunteer to do stuff.

Lets face it, most of us know each other in our breeds, our regions, our clubs and of course FB !!

If everyone didn't enter under people they knew on some level, would be a pretty empty show !

fifi

I remember once walking past the secretary't tent to hear "hey Sandy, you going past your ring?" Me, "yes", her, "well can you take the morning tea with you for the judge and steward?" Me, "No worries". Damn, didn't realise I was supposed to get BOB & BIG, I would have told the judge off after for not giving me group :rolleyes: :idea:

While a lot of you are scoffing at the suggestion of any possible favourable treatment … I do think it is a valid question.

I was scribing for a Judge on a local horse event and I smiled as an entrant and asked the name of the horse (as it was absolutely gorgeous) and I was quickly pulled aside by the Judge where she made it very clear that during the events we are to have absolutely no communication with the entrants (other then necessary directions) in order to avoid any "perceptions" of favouritism.

While a lot of you are scoffing at the suggestion of any possible favourable treatment … I do think it is a valid question.

I was scribing for a Judge on a local horse event and I smiled as an entrant and asked the name of the horse (as it was absolutely gorgeous) and I was quickly pulled aside by the Judge where she made it very clear that during the events we are to have absolutely no communication with the entrants (other then necessary directions) in order to avoid any "perceptions" of favouritism.

LOL I was stewarding for a judge when she asked me what I thought....I can't tell you was my reply...one of then is my daughter. I didn't tell her she'd put my daughter up first!

Oh boy, the judges/stewards got morning tea? Lucky them!!! I wish someone would bring me scones or muffins when I'm stewarding!!!
Which shows have you been stewarding at? ;)

:rofl: the ones that don't have morning tea!!! We do get nice warm pikelets with jam and cream before we start though :rofl:

Gawd Tilly

I know people who steward for the 4* in Adelaide and for the Sydney Olypmics and they were not that uptight. Though we all knew the names and quite often the pet names for all the horses anyway. Maybe eventing is just that little bit more laid back.

Or the judge was pulling your leg.

maybe he hadn't got his scones? :rofl:

LOL I was stewarding for a judge when she asked me what I thought....I can't tell you was my reply...one of then is my daughter. I didn't tell her she'd put my daughter up first!

All jokes aside, in NSW you CANNOT steward in the same ring as any family who is showing. And quite frankly I would have protested if I was in that lineup.

But back to the original posting, you are conspicuious by your absence. Maybe you could come back and explain why you are upset with someone supplying the judge and steward with refreshments?

All jokes aside, in NSW you CANNOT steward in the same ring as any family who is showing. And quite frankly I would have protested if I was in that lineup.

But back to the original posting, you are conspicuious by your absence. Maybe you could come back and explain why you are upset with someone supplying the judge and steward with refreshments?

Even at a local Pony Club Show?? They dragged me into it at the last minute, I was there to help my daughter not Steward...they were lucky to have me LOL!

At most Horse Shows I've been involved with Commitee doesn't show, yet Dogs Committees make a point of stating this on the Gazette? Is it a rule or not?

Doesn't look good, when done to just the ring they will later be judged in - it's up to the committee to provide refreshments to the judge.

Hope the judge washed their hands after having a cream scone - imagine trying to get the jam out of your dogs coat!

Not in Australia becks. Some of our country shows are quite laid back.

I have had judges call me to the ring and ask me to organise a drink of some sort and I didn't win.

I have had judges tell me often about shows where they had to ask exhibitors to get a cold drink for them.

Some shows are just poorly run and/or don't have enough people to help.

Must have been good a show to get morning tea delivered.

Really? It is so difficult for the secretary to buy a crate or 2 of bottled water?

I'm on a committee who runs a successful Premier Open show (probably averages similar numbers to your champ shows), we do this with 6 committee members at the show who are stewarding, providing refreshements for judges/stewards along with the necessary paperwork that goes with the show day and all the other little jobs. We are there early to set up the rings and tidy up at the end of the day.

It's just courtesy to see the judges are being taken care of on the day - they judge for no payment and usually aren't offered any fees to cover their expenses.

At the end of the day, we have all paid the same fee to enter under that judge, we should all be given the same time and consideration by the judge - in return we should all treat the judge in the same manner.

Does the exhibitor who turns up with a present for the judge (be it cake or $100!!) expect their win (should they recieve a win) to be untainted by their actions? The show world is full of rumours, accusations etc etc so why add fuel to that fire?