Horse Found Stabbed, Scalped In Paddock

kirsty79

A former show horse has died after being stabbed and scalped in Melbourne at the weekend.

The 15-year-old mare was found dead in its paddock on Oherns Road, Epping by its owner on Saturday afternoon, police said.

The dappled bay thoroughbred, named Cachet, was stabbed multiple times in the neck and back, while her mane and some skin was cut off.

Experts told police the horse would have been in extreme pain as it bled to death.

Police believe the horse was killed sometime on Friday or Saturday morning.

The 49-year-old owner from Mill Park had kept the horse in the rented paddock for about a year.

Police are investigating the case of animal cruelty and are calling for anyone with information to contact Crimestoppers on 1800 333 000.

Yes, I read about that this morning. I know the paddock where it's kept, driven past there many times a few years back though.

Hope they catch the sicko's who did this. How heartbreaking for the owner. :rofl:

A horse has died after being stabbed in the neck and having her mane and some skin cut off in an attack in a paddock in Melbourne's north.

The 15-year-old former show horse, Cachet, was found dead in a paddock in Oherns Road at Epping on Saturday afternoon.

The thoroughbred mare had suffered multiple stab wounds to the neck and back and experts have told police the horse would have bled to death and suffered considerable pain.

Owner Michelle Azzopardi lives in nearby Mill Park and had agisted the dappled bay mare at the paddock for about a year.

She says her horse would have run away if someone approached.

"This is what's killing me. All I can think of is how have they got her, and did she suffer? Did she stand there while they stabbed her?"

Police believe Cachet was killed some time on Friday night or Saturday morning.

Ms Azzopardi last saw the horse Friday afternoon.

"I washed her, I brushed and fed her. I left. When I left she was in perfect health, just running around and showing off which is what she loved to do," she said.

She has no idea why anyone would want to kill her horse and collapsed when she made the discovery.

"I've got her photo in my kitchen with a candle lit and I just pray to God someone has to know something. And I just want to find out who's done it and why," she said.

She says there are thirty horses on the property and the paddocks are protected by electric fences.

They are calling for anyone with information about the attack to contact them.

Why? Whether these were kids or adults I just don't get animal torture at all. The sounds they make and the obvious distress on their trusting faces when they are injured or frightened is quite clear. They can hardly beg for their lives or say no so I don't get what the appeal is even to sick sadistic people? And I certainly don't want people who are capable of doing such a thing living in the same society as me. I wish we could get a lot tougher on animal torture because it is a sign of how much a risk to the rest of society these types of people are.

I have just been outside feeding my old horse(he's 30) To read this makes me sick to the stomach, that poor horse died in such a horrible, cruel manner, no animal deserves to be illtreated and tortured by some sick b@stard who doesn't deserve to walk amongst us.

Rest in peace Cachet :rainbowbridge:

:cry::rainbowbridge: it continuously amazes me that pple can do such horrid things to living breathing animals that trust us fully and depend on us to live :( i feel terrible for the way this beautiful animal has passed no one should be made to feel that much pain ever!!

i think they should stab the perp in the neck and scalp him and see how he likes it, i really think in such cruel cases that we need harsher penalties...im thinking an eye for an eye (if you follow)

RIP beautiful girl

Oh that is hearbreaking! :cry: The poor horse and her poor owner! I can't believe how sick some people are!

I wonder sometimes whether the media makes it worse by publicising so much of the abuse that happens. I think some of these losers get their ideas from what they read about other people doing. :(

Or they do it in the hope there will be a news story about them. :) Whatever the reason they are sick! :(

RIP Cachet! :rainbowbridge: