Black Hawk Holistic

Guest belgian.blue

Heard a good news story this morning. Lady rang me as her daughter has a Stafford with serious allergies.

He was over 50%bald, extremely itchy with thickened skin. He was under veterinary care and even with all the medications he had to be basket muzzled when people were with him at times and also when no- one was with him as he would self mutilate and had in the past chewed a hole in his leg down to underlying tissue.

He has been on BH for 4 weeks now and has grown back much of his coat it is softer and

his skin more normal. The best bit is he is now only having to wear a basket muzzle overnight and that is more of a just incase. Hopefully given some more time he ca do away with that.

He is a much happier boy who can now have a good sleep and when awake can be a normal happy family pet. His owners are very very happy as you can imagine. His nana is going to try and send me some before and after photos.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Have the Black Hawk people ever considered setting up a website where people can buy the food from? Like someone places an order and pays by credit card and the order goes to the supplier depending on what the person's postcode is, something like that.

Guest english.ivy

My pointer is a fast eater but he eats BH well. Has done for over a year and his coat is stunning.

Mixture of BH and raw is the main part of his diet.

hello :)

do you actually mix the kibble in with the raw!??

Yeah I do for their breakfast. BH then raw lamb on top.

Sorry if this has been asked before(82 pages is too much to read)but does anyone own greyhounds and use Black Hawk? I have two and my white girl has a small amount of dematitis on her feet.Currently feeding Pro Plan salmon with great results but would be interested in trying this product as it seems to give good results and a decent price.I see you deliver to the Central Coast how would I go about getting a sample bag and could anyone suggest what type of Black hawk may suit them.

Thanks.

My greys are on Black Hawk (well they have been, had to switch to EaglePack whilst I find another supplier) - they do really well on it. I would definitley recommend you give it a go.

My 10 and half month rottie has been on BH for a while now. It seems like he wont eat it by itself as much no more. He gets 2 meals a day, one with raw/BH and just BH. When he eats the BH by itself he doesent eat it straight away. Some times Ill take it away and bring it back half hour later. or so. Any tips on that?

Also is it best for him to eat BH/Raw in morning and just BH at night or vice verca? or give him BH/RAW every time?

Other than that he goes great on it. Good to see the packaging on the bag evolve and new website.

Mine sometimes get cooked leftover meat on their kibble, or sardines as a treat, or sometimes I buy a couple of tins of Natures Gift and give them each a dollop of that. I'm sure that they all digest at different rates, just as bone digests at a different rate to meat, and grass digests at a different rate to everything else. Seeing as they are all sheep in dogs clothing, they eat a lot of grass so they'd always have some digesting somewhere but it doesn't effect them in any way whatsoever.

Digestive systems are well able to cope with foods that digest at different rates, the idea that it matters seems to have been borne on an internet forum somewhere then spread like a disease. Like the idea that freezing food kills bacteria, it most definitely does not.

He could just be picky. Jet will just look at his BH when there's no raw and walk away (I like to call him a snob when he does this :p ) he will always return later though when he realizes I won't give him anything else. I just leave it down for him to eat when he pleases but I don't have another dog or anything so I allow that. Some people suggest picking it up after a while then place it back down etc

My 10 and half month rottie has been on BH for a while now. It seems like he wont eat it by itself as much no more. He gets 2 meals a day, one with raw/BH and just BH. When he eats the BH by itself he doesent eat it straight away. Some times Ill take it away and bring it back half hour later. or so. Any tips on that?

Also is it best for him to eat BH/Raw in morning and just BH at night or vice verca? or give him BH/RAW every time?

Other than that he goes great on it. Good to see the packaging on the bag evolve and new website.

Guest english.ivy

If he's being picky, leave his bowl of food down for 15 minutes and then take away the food until the next feed in the morning and continue as normal. He will soon learn that he is to eat what he's given. I'm sure any dry food is more tasty with raw meat added. He just needs to learn that his dinner won't always been what he wants to eat.

I did this trick with my very fussy Belgian Shepherd when she was a puppy and she will now eat whatever she is given.

I also feed cooked, well mushed pumpkin and peas with their BH at night. They get that nearly every night. Plus the odd night of Natures gift wet with their BH or a raw egg each.

Though always raw lamb with their BH in the mornings as it's quick and simple first thing I get up. Packaged lamb gets taken out of the freezer every night before bed and it's then ready to feed in the morning.

I think it's personal if you feed raw twice a day or be it morning or night. Just whatever suits you :) I have more time to feed different in the evenings so I do.

Plus RMB a couple of times a week in the afternoons or weekends. When I'm home to supervise.

Not everything gets digested at the same rate so I am a little perplexed as to why it is supposedly better to feed commercial and raw seperately. Mine get a mixture of all sorts of things and we have no flatulence or poop issues or issues with upset tummies.

Guest english.ivy

Not everything gets digested at the same rate so I am a little perplexed as to why it is supposedly better to feed commercial and raw seperately. Mine get a mixture of all sorts of things and we have no flatulence or poop issues or issues with upset tummies.

Just another doggy wives tale.

I saw someone feed their dogs cooked bones the other day, wasn't my place to say anything and these dogs get cooked bones frequently.

It really is up to each dog owner if they want to follow what they hear. Your dog; your decision.

My dad fed his racing greyhounds cooked bones, none of them ever choked, required emergency surgery or anything dire at all. They just ate the bones along with the stew he made for them from sheeps heads and vegetables (blaaaarrrgh!)

He could just be picky. Jet will just look at his BH when there's no raw and walk away (I like to call him a snob when he does this :p ) he will always return later though when he realizes I won't give him anything else. I just leave it down for him to eat when he pleases but I don't have another dog or anything so I allow that. Some people suggest picking it up after a while then place it back down etc

A bit OT, but Jetty, who is that georgous little dog in your aviator :)

Guest english.ivy

thanks for the tips.

With Raw eggs, is once a week ok? too much no good? Also just the egg yolk n shell ok not too much of the egg white?

Mine get the entire egg, shell too, about once a fortnight. Sometimes once a week.

Maybe he doesn't like it? Not all dogs like all foods. My DDB will eat anything pretty much. My fluffy boy took forever to eat BH and now hoovers down his Eaglepack. Maybe try a different feed to see if that is the issue

i am sooo very glad i asked the question cuz up until reading the pro mixing posts, i was always reticent and somewhat anxious that i was totally upsetting diet balance!!!

My pointer is a fast eater but he eats BH well. Has done for over a year and his coat is stunning.

Mixture of BH and raw is the main part of his diet.

hello :)

do you actually mix the kibble in with the raw!??

Yeah I do for their breakfast. BH then raw lamb on top.

my two dogs don't find dry food on its own that appetising so i've been adding about 5gm cooked chicken and a half teaspoon of low fat cottage cheese to their 25/30gm dry and they no longer hesitate :)

I do..

noted :)

It is advisable to feed raw & kibble at different meals as they digest at different rates.

see, i'd read that and it made sense, but then i wondered why it's ok that humans can eat cheese on dry biscuits, or eat cooked protein with a salad Shrugs.gif

It's advisable to do a lot of things when it comes to pets.

it seems humans take better care of their dog than they do of themselves thinkb2wq.gif

Mine sometimes get cooked leftover meat on their kibble, or sardines as a treat, or sometimes I buy a couple of tins of Natures Gift and give them each a dollop of that. I'm sure that they all digest at different rates, just as bone digests at a different rate to meat, and grass digests at a different rate to everything else. Seeing as they are all sheep in dogs clothing, they eat a lot of grass so they'd always have some digesting somewhere but it doesn't effect them in any way whatsoever.

Digestive systems are well able to cope with foods that digest at different rates, the idea that it matters seems to have been borne on an internet forum somewhere then spread like a disease. Like the idea that freezing food kills bacteria, it most definitely does not.

and that there is IT, in a nutshell --- thank you very much gayle for such perfect clarity :)

I also feed cooked, well mushed pumpkin and peas with their BH at night. They get that nearly every night. Plus the odd night of Natures gift wet with their BH or a raw egg each.

Though always raw lamb with their BH in the mornings as it's quick and simple first thing I get up. Packaged lamb gets taken out of the freezer every night before bed and it's then ready to feed in the morning.

I think it's personal if you feed raw twice a day or be it morning or night. Just whatever suits you :) I have more time to feed different in the evenings so I do.

Plus RMB a couple of times a week in the afternoons or weekends. When I'm home to supervise.

over the past week or so, i've considered weaning my two dogs and one cat off dry but like you, i find it easier to feed dry in the mornings --- i used to scatter some of the dry food over the back patio and randomly toss some raw turkey neck chunks 'til i realised the local bird population was enjoying the dry food more and only one of my dogs truly enjoyed the neck; i now deliver their food, measured, in their bowls :)

proof is in the pudding eekq1dh.gif so to speak

thanks to everyone that answered :)