Guest belgian.blue

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Guest donatella

A whole tin of sardines in oil would be a HUGE shock to the tummy of such a tiny dog, so I think that's probably the culprit. There's a fair bit of oil in those tins....at least a tablespoon full, and the fish is oily as well. When I give my dog sardines they get a half a tin each, mixd with their kibble and they are a lot bigger and have more mature systems than your little one.

I think you're right, no more diarrhea today, its way more formed, i think the sardines were to blame. We'll have a bland diet for a few days to settle her tummy.

Guest english.ivy

I remember the first time I gave Ivy a whole tin of sardines to herself :eek: and with a hairy bum, guess who had to wash her up. At least I can tell when she has the runs :laugh:

donatella - glad her tummy is feeling better :) I would be giving her very small amounts and then over time, she won't have any issues. I also buy the tins with no added salt as the extra salt can also give them a sore tummy.

Is there a shop that I can buy it at in the SE Melbourne suburbs (not delivery, my gates mean that nothing can be delivered unless I'm home)?

Oakleigh Produce - 103 Warrigal Rd, Oakleigh - (03) 9568 0419

Squeeeeaaa - that's close!

Guest donatella

Oh good to know it's probably the sardines then, poor darlin. I'm at work now but have dropped her at mums so she can be watched while I'm not there, hopefully it's resolved only

1 sardine from now on lol

I thought a red tinge to a black coat was dead or sunburnt hair. A red coat fades in the sun so it stands to reason that a black coat will show sun damage too.

Not necessary. I have a black dog with a tinge in the coat which is not dead coat or sunburn. Kelp powder (iodine) helps bring the blackness back.

I thought a red tinge to a black coat was dead or sunburnt hair. A red coat fades in the sun so it stands to reason that a black coat will show sun damage too.

Not necessary. I have a black dog with a tinge in the coat which is not dead coat or sunburn. Kelp powder (iodine) helps bring the blackness back.

My dog has the red tinge all year round but Is worse in summer.....

I've just bought 2 bags of BH. I have for years fed Supercoat and have never had any issues with it - granted it only made up approx 1/3 of the meal. I fed supercoat because it was Aus made and also because it was the only dry food my GSD would eat.

Anyway just lately I have found that my black pugs have avery noticeable red tinge to their coat. I is the undercoat and I thinnk it is partly due to moulting but also partly due to the dry food formula - I think they have introduced beet pulp into their food. I thought it was only me but another lady with pugs has found her boy has got a red tinge to his coat and he is on supercoat at the moment but usually has advance.

I am hoping that the BH will help restore their coat's depth of colour. Any advise????

My boy has a red tinge and hasn't ever been on Supercoat. He was on BH but I took him off as he got too many hot spots. He's now on Holisitc Select Fish but still red. I just assumed it was from spending a lot of time outdoors being naughty.

My black boy gets hot spots too, wondering if it has something to do with the red coat...

We have been feeding Black Hawk now for two years and are still happy with the results.

Haven't read all the posts re the brown tinge in the coat. We have bi-black shelties (black and white) and the two youngest have a horrible brown tinge over their backs, their mum had the same until she had her first litter. Their Uncle has an intense black coat. This colouring is caused by the tri coming out in the coat colour.

I've just requested a sample on the Black Hawk pet care website.

Im hoping this kibble will help my Amstaff with his itchy dry skin. Im also thinking of switching my ole great dane onto the product too after hearing fantastic reviews. Butttt no one in my area stocks it

We send to the Central Coast for $10 per bag, if this helps...same day delivery :)

Just click on the web page at the bottom of my signature for contact details etc.

Edited by sheena

Hi Pheebs

Is she going into a coat drop for summer ?

Where abouts do you source your BlackHawk from ? as l do the Ballarat area ?

Sherel

Fish oil & evening primrose oil.

Thank you :thumbsup:

Hi Sherel :wave:

She's 2.5 years so not really a puppy but still a crazy loon :D

She's been on the Black Hawk a bit over 3 weeks now - I've already noticed positive changes in her weight and stools, it's just the coat that's problematic. No treats as such, just the usual chicken mince & beef mince which we've always given her so apart from the Black Hawk no other changes. :)

ETA Sorry Sherel forgot to add she's been spayed since the age of 6mths :)

Coat colour and red tinges to black coats can be caused by many factors,

Hereditary, enviromental conditions, also swimming in chlorinated pools,seasonal coat changes, also a big factor can be a poorly functioning Thyroid, diet. Also something very few people consider in regards to changes in their pets is the water they drink, town waters can vary so much in the amounts of chemicals, tank water can harbour bacteria, as can still waters (dams etc) it would be interesting to see how many people filter their dogs drinking water ? The reason i mention it is some 10 years ago a friend who was on town water, dogs became unwell, coats went off lost shine etc, dogs lacked energy, occassionally would vomit up their food, they were just not themselves, so many blood test later and no answers she started to look into other things, to cut the story short it turn out it was her tap water, it was traced back to a change and quantities in chemicals added to the town water, so after that she fitted a filter to the tap, with in 2 weeks the dogs came back to normal so it is always something to consider,

Sherel

Hi Pheebs

Is she going into a coat drop for summer ?

Where abouts do you source your BlackHawk from ? as l do the Ballarat area ?

Sherel

Hi Sherel :wave:

I was just popping back into the thread to update that her coat is getting back to it's lovely glossy stage - must have just been a transitional thing! Her ears are much less 'gunky' and she's not running as 'hot' as she had on previous brands. She's still on the lean-side which I suspect will always be the case but she is holding her weight nicely :thumbsup:

I'm also over the moon that we appear to need to feed much less of it than other brands we've tried thus far so that can only be a good thing for the wallet! :o

I'm nearly at the end of the first bag (I purchased the Puppy due to the fat content so will probably look at putting her on the Adult) which we purchased from Sunshine - was hoping that I might be able to source some from you locally if that's at all convenient? :)

Hi All

I just wanted to add that I have been feeding my guys (KBTs)on Black Hawk for about 6 months now and am certainly a lover of this food. I did find however, that about 5 weeks into feeding Black Hawk, 4 of my Kerry's skin became pink and itchy. I was considering stopping and going back to my previous dry food, but about 2-3 weeks later, their skin settled and it is now the best it has every been. They have lovely soft coats and their overall condition is as good as it ever was, they may even have slightly more muscle definition than before. I don't know whether there was something else that may have influenced their skin to be affected at that time i.e. a change in weather, grass seeds or a new treat that I hadn't accounted for, but, either way, it hasn't happened again. I have also just raised a beautiful litter on BH as well, and I could not be more impressed.

Thanks so much for having a great affordable product, and great people distributing it.

has anybody used the puppy formula? i am ordering the adult food for the older dogs, as they loved the sample, but my sample for the pups has not arrived yet (not black hawk's fault our mail is slooooow and goes missing intermittently) they are currently on puppy pro plan but it is chicken. One is a fussy eater and im concerned about the switch to lamb (although it hasnt worried the grown ups!) how have your puppies gone on it?