Black Hawk Holistic

Guest belgian.blue

Just really dull, totally lacking in sheen and she's more dandruffy than usual. As much as I was unsure about the Albers her coat was looking really nice on it. I'd be quite happy to continue feeding the Black Hawk as she's obviously maintaining weight which is great - anything I can add to her diet to bring the gloss back? (She gets sardines in oil once a week).

I switched my Cavaliers from Advance to Royal Canin and their coats improved nicely.

Then I couldn't get the big bag of RC so I switched back to Advance.

Their coats were not as nice but they have now been on Black Hawk for a month and they have lovely gloss, deep colour and look great. I thought the Emu Oil was the reason for the better coat condition.

Edited by LizT

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I was just wondering if black hawk is good for golden retrievers in terms of their hips etc as they are known to have issues later on down the track.

I had a look at the local listed supplier and its $89.99 for 20kb Puppy formula, is that around the average price?

I paid $79.99

Fish oil & evening primrose oil.

Thank you :thumbsup:

Hi Sherel :wave:

She's 2.5 years so not really a puppy but still a crazy loon :D

She's been on the Black Hawk a bit over 3 weeks now - I've already noticed positive changes in her weight and stools, it's just the coat that's problematic. No treats as such, just the usual chicken mince & beef mince which we've always given her so apart from the Black Hawk no other changes. :)

ETA Sorry Sherel forgot to add she's been spayed since the age of 6mths :)

Edited by Pheebs

I switched my Cavaliers from Advance to Royal Canin and their coats improved nicely.

Then I couldn't get the big bag of RC so I switched back to Advance.

Their coats were not as nice but they have now been on Black Hawk for a month and they have lovely gloss, deep colour and look great. I thought the Emu Oil was the reason for the better coat condition.

Interesting - Lucy does beautifully on the Giant RC too but it's just a price issue for us, hence the change to Black Hawk :thumbsup:

I've just bought 2 bags of BH. I have for years fed Supercoat and have never had any issues with it - granted it only made up approx 1/3 of the meal. I fed supercoat because it was Aus made and also because it was the only dry food my GSD would eat.

Anyway just lately I have found that my black pugs have avery noticeable red tinge to their coat. I is the undercoat and I thinnk it is partly due to moulting but also partly due to the dry food formula - I think they have introduced beet pulp into their food. I thought it was only me but another lady with pugs has found her boy has got a red tinge to his coat and he is on supercoat at the moment but usually has advance.

I am hoping that the BH will help restore their coat's depth of colour. Any advise????

Dusty has got the nicest coat she's ever had (aside from the big hole chopped in the side of it where she had stitches). It's thick, black, glossy and silky and her undercoat is very black. Isaak is going through a coat change from adolescent to adult and I've noticed his undercoat is also coming through a true black, not the sludgy grey a black tri Aussie often has.

Its funny someone mentioning about the coat colour, One thing I have noticed with coat colour with my lot is thier colours seem very defined on BH, My white girl had 2 big light brown spots on her back and light brown through her ear and they have never been as noticable since on BH and the 3 goldies all have varying degrees of tan/brown/gold colours through their coats which are all more prominant since the BH. To begin with my lots coats seem to have dried out then once they had been on it for a while thier coats are lovely, can't fault them at all, baby soft, shiney, no complaints at all. Also I think I have said this before my itchy girl is no longer itchy. :thumbsup: The vet thought it was the grass but I had a sneaking suspision it might have been the food.

I've just bought 2 bags of BH. I have for years fed Supercoat and have never had any issues with it - granted it only made up approx 1/3 of the meal. I fed supercoat because it was Aus made and also because it was the only dry food my GSD would eat.

Anyway just lately I have found that my black pugs have avery noticeable red tinge to their coat. I is the undercoat and I thinnk it is partly due to moulting but also partly due to the dry food formula - I think they have introduced beet pulp into their food. I thought it was only me but another lady with pugs has found her boy has got a red tinge to his coat and he is on supercoat at the moment but usually has advance.

I am hoping that the BH will help restore their coat's depth of colour. Any advise????

My lab hasv been going red too in some patches, did expensive tests etc but nothing was found, he was on home prepared but is now on raw with a bit of Canidae and it's slowly coming right, I think his was just dead coat I think. I would try BH for him too but he is allergic to rice

Guest english.ivy

My Belgians black coat shines in the dark, since she's been on BH and my Pointer has a shine and he never stays clean!

Though the liver patches around his head are lightening up but I think that is just what liver dogs do, so he's on Livamol nightly. Our liver Dalmatian went the same and that was over ten years ago.

Guest donatella

Ok so Lucy has had dihorrea today, green, pretty offensive smelling, it's either her tummy getting used to BH or it the sardines in oil she had for dinner last night. Any thoughts?

Guest english.ivy

Has she ever had sardines before? How many did you give her? They are very rich.

My two get the runs if they haven't had sardines before or if they get a entire tin to themselves, they share a tin.

Guest donatella

She's had them before but only in spring water never in oil but that's all I could find at the shops yesterday and I worked till 11pm last night so I asked my flatmate to feed her sardines for dinner and she ate the whole tin so perhaps it was the fish. That was probably a heavy meal on a little belly, and the only new item I can think of that she's eaten in the last 24 hours is the oil with the sardines

Just really dull, totally lacking in sheen and she's more dandruffy than usual. As much as I was unsure about the Albers her coat was looking really nice on it. I'd be quite happy to continue feeding the Black Hawk as she's obviously maintaining weight which is great - anything I can add to her diet to bring the gloss back? (She gets sardines in oil once a week).

Pheebs - best thing for keeping weight on a dane I have found is the performance foods or a grain free one - not the cheapest option but I find I feed a heap less and weight (and coat!) is great. I use Canidae Grain Free Salmon but have used the Eagle Pack Power one too.

Guest donatella

I worried about the green too and thought some nasty bacteria but its back to brown and no more since last night and she's been her normal self the entire time (she running round now playing with a toy). but i bought a stool sample jar home from work so if its a nasty green colour again i'll get a sample and give it to the vet. she hasn't been eating anything odd, i live in a unit, so there's not even nasties in the garden for her to get at.

A whole tin of sardines in oil would be a HUGE shock to the tummy of such a tiny dog, so I think that's probably the culprit. There's a fair bit of oil in those tins....at least a tablespoon full, and the fish is oily as well. When I give my dog sardines they get a half a tin each, mixd with their kibble and they are a lot bigger and have more mature systems than your little one.

My boy has a red tinge and hasn't ever been on Supercoat. He was on BH but I took him off as he got too many hot spots. He's now on Holisitc Select Fish but still red. I just assumed it was from spending a lot of time outdoors being naughty.