The Queen Is A Byb

Fanuilos

For some strange reason I was looking up the Royals today and found out a very strange fact. The Queen, who is the Patron of the Kennel Club, is also a backyard breeder of Designer dogs :mad

Straight from the Royals website - http://www.royal.gov.uk/TheRoyalHousehold/...Familypets.aspx

For her eighteenth birthday, The Queen was given a Corgi named Susan from whom numerous successive dogs were bred. Some Corgis were mated with dachsunds (most notably Pipkin, who belonged to Princess Margaret) to create ‘Dorgis’.

At present, The Queen owns four Corgis: Linnet, Monty, Willow and Holly and three Dorgis: Cider, Candy and Vulcan.

OKay, I found this funny. :(

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good grief, the accidental litter between the Corgi and the Dachshund happened about 30 years ago, hardly new news. And I hardly think that the elderly monarch is about to set up a website selling designer dogs.

Her Labradors are doing very nicely in the field, I hear. I met a staffer of one of the Royals some years back and he told me about the Labradors - until then I only knew that she bred Corgis so she is hardly out there promoting her breeding ..... she doesn't have to after all :(

She has a genuine love of dogs and that is good enough for me.

Souff

Good grief, the accidental litter between the Corgi and the Dachshund happened about 30 years ago, hardly new news. And I hardly think that the elderly monarch is about to set up a website selling designer dogs.

Her Labradors are doing very nicely in the field, I hear. I met a staffer of one of the Royals some years back and he told me about the Labradors - until then I only knew that she bred Corgis so she is hardly out there promoting her breeding ..... she doesn't have to after all ;)

Souff

Thank Souff....for saying what I wanted to say. :(

I have heard, that in her younger years, she was a superb trainer and handler of Labradors and could work them better than many professional trainers.

She is also well aware of how important pedigrees are..in both dogs and horses. I would suspect she just kept up the X breeds because they come from dogs she has loved. It's not as if she has a sign on the fence of Buckingham Palace saying...'Designer puppies for sale!' :mad

By the way...I'm not sure which palace grounds it is in, but the Royals have a special pet cemetary, where each and every much loved dog is buried, with a headstone.

She is also Patron of Dogs Trust....a dog welfare/rehoming organisation and the largest dog welfare charity in the UK.

From the Royal's website......

"The Queen is Patron of over 30 animal charities from the RSPCA to The Red Poll Cattle Society and the Labrador Retriever Club. Many of the charities reflect Her Majesty’s personal interests: she is patron of The Royal Pigeon Racing Association and owns her own pigeons which are kept on the Sandringham Estate; her Patronage of the Royal Windsor Horse Show was a natural choice as the Royal Family have been involved with the event since its inception and her involvement with the Thoroughbred Breeders' Association is indicative of her private interest in breeding and racing horses.

The Duke of Edinburgh’s animal patronages reflect his interest in birds (the British Falconers' Club, Cornell University Laboratory of Ornithology and Birds Australia) and conservation (World Wide Fund for Nature, South Saskatchewan Wildlife Association and Friends of the Sea Otter amongst others).

The Duchess of Cornwall takes a keen in interest in animal welfare and is Patron of the following animal organisations, the Animal Care Trust, the Brooke Hospital for Animals, the Moorland Mousie Trust, and the Langford Trust which supports the University of Bristol's School of Veterinary Science.

Other members of the Royal Family are involved in numerous animal charities, from small, niche organisations such as St Tiggywinkles or the British Goat Society to international wildlife organisations."

Edited by Tim'sMum

That would be so funny

a sign on the fence of Buckingham Palace saying...'Designer puppies for sale
:thumbsup:

she still trains her gun dogs according to a recent programme I saw, and stays out in the field till every last dog is home.

I agree Souff ;)

I also LOVE it when I see her traipsing into some castle, palace or whatnot with muddy wellies, headscarf and several gundogs/corgis etc. following and sitting on the valuable antiques... :(:thumbsup:

So much for not allowing dogs indoors because they may ruin something... :(

I adore her to bits :)

Her Labradors are doing very nicely in the field, I hear. I met a staffer of one of the Royals some years back and he told me about the Labradors - until then I only knew that she bred Corgis so she is hardly out there promoting her breeding ..... she doesn't have to after all ;)

Souff

Thank Souff....for saying what I wanted to say. :thumbsup:

I have heard, that in her younger years, she was a superb trainer and handler of Labradors and could work them better than many professional trainers.

She is also well aware of how important pedigrees are..in both dogs and horses. I would suspect she just kept up the X breeds because they come from dogs she has loved. It's not as if she has a sign on the fence of Buckingham Palace saying...'Designer puppies for sale!' :(

By the way...I'm not sure which palace grounds it is in, but the Royals have a special pet cemetary, where each and every much loved dog is buried, with a headstone.

She is also Patron of Dogs Trust....a dog welfare/rehoming organisation and the largest dog welfare charity in the UK.

From the Royal's website......

"The Queen is Patron of over 30 animal charities from the RSPCA to The Red Poll Cattle Society and the Labrador Retriever Club. Many of the charities reflect Her Majesty’s personal interests: she is patron of The Royal Pigeon Racing Association and owns her own pigeons which are kept on the Sandringham Estate; her Patronage of the Royal Windsor Horse Show was a natural choice as the Royal Family have been involved with the event since its inception and her involvement with the Thoroughbred Breeders' Association is indicative of her private interest in breeding and racing horses.

The Duke of Edinburgh’s animal patronages reflect his interest in birds (the British Falconers' Club, Cornell University Laboratory of Ornithology and Birds Australia) and conservation (World Wide Fund for Nature, South Saskatchewan Wildlife Association and Friends of the Sea Otter amongst others).

The Duchess of Cornwall takes a keen in interest in animal welfare and is Patron of the following animal organisations, the Animal Care Trust, the Brooke Hospital for Animals, the Moorland Mousie Trust, and the Langford Trust which supports the University of Bristol's School of Veterinary Science.

Other members of the Royal Family are involved in numerous animal charities, from small, niche organisations such as St Tiggywinkles or the British Goat Society to international wildlife organisations."

I actually only posted this as I thought it was funny. Not to imply the Queen doesn't care about dogs. Yes I do know she has quite a successful kennel and not just labs.

Also, if the mating was an accidental mating more than 30 years ago, why does she still have 3 Dorgis? I've never heard of a dog living for 30 years!