Pork Pies Or Lies The General Public Tell Us

freundhund

Okay the scenario is I am walking my "underweight" GSD, ie 23 kilos and 58 cm tall, who I show!!!!

At the local off leash dog park a Nissan Mica drives up, have you seen how big these cars are? NOT!

An "man" gets out and assist his dog out, the dog is an extremely large Labrador, I would say a minimum of 30k's overweight. The dog walks approximately 10 feet to the grass and flopps down, exhausted from the walk.

I continue to walk around the park as I walk pass the man with his dog he proceeds to accost me with the question "How old do you think my dog is?" My reply still biting my tongue about the dog's weight is about 12+ years, he smiles tells me the dog is 6 years old, I then comment that the dog is a bit overweight, truely the stomach is approximately 4 inches or 12cms from the ground. He PROUDLY tells me his dog is worth $12,000, is a Canadian Labrador, who is one of the breeds that Newfoundlands come from, and that the dog's father weighs 70 kilos, that I know nothing about dogs as I would recognise what a stunning dog he owns, I proceed to ask about hips and elbows, eye tests and other things, none of which the dog has.

By this stage with all the stupid comments coming from this person, I forget I should wear a gag to the local dog park, I comment that someone should report him and his dog to the RSPCA for cruelty as it is so obese.

Okay, other horror stories welcome.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I once had a non dog person tell me that the only breed of dog they would consider getting would be a Husky, because they are the only breed of dog with a cat like characteristic...apparently they clean themselves the same as cats do...no surprise this person was a cat person lol

I havnt actually bothered to find out if this piece of trivia is true or not, lol, but it did give me a laugh, especially when I told the person that there is no way a first time dog owner should get a breed like a Husky

I once had a non dog person tell me that the only breed of dog they would consider getting would be a Husky, because they are the only breed of dog with a cat like characteristic...apparently they clean themselves the same as cats do...no surprise this person was a cat person lol

I havnt actually bothered to find out if this piece of trivia is true or not, lol, but it did give me a laugh, especially when I told the person that there is no way a first time dog owner should get a breed like a Husky

Huskies do clean themselves like cats (or at least mine does) but I think most Spitz breeds do to some extent. But yeah, definitely not a first time dog owner breed (unless they know what they're getting themselves into, of course).

Huskies do clean themselves like cats (or at least mine does) but I think most Spitz breeds do to some extent.

My Sibes and Jap Spitz all do it.

Both my dogs clean themselves to some extent, moreso our Aussie. She'll also clean any other dog that she deems dirty :eek:

Huskies do clean themselves like cats (or at least mine does) but I think most Spitz breeds do to some extent. But yeah, definitely not a first time dog owner breed (unless they know what they're getting themselves into, of course).

Mine does too - but yes, definitely not for the non-dog person!

When Zero was dog-aggressive, I often had people tell me that the way to "cure" him was to take him to the dog park and let him loose so he could "sort it out for himself" because he would have other dogs fight back and he would learn that he couldn't be aggressive or he would get bitten. Oh and that the only problem with him was that he was a dominant dog so I should alpha roll him when he was aggressing at another dog. Somehow I don't think they understood the meaning of "sudden explosive aggression". Good luck with alpha rolling that.

Ahh, good to hear that he wasnt totally full of shit lol, unfortunately I did a poor job of convincing him that Huskys arent a first time dog and are very difficult to train etc if you arent experienced with dogs...so hopefully he sticks with cats

A black fella in NSW told me this and he seemed genuinely wary of my dog who is the biggest grovelly sook ever...

He said Heelers were used and bred to herd and attack blackfellas.

Sigh. I can't say it wasn't true but my dog wasn't there at the time and certainly didn't want to hurt him. She's much more tolerant than I am.

I quite often get told that my tri shelties are BC crosses. One gentleman got quite angry with me when I was trying to tell him that Cowan was a Champion Shetland Sheepdog as he knows his dogs and shelties are brown. Also get, look at the poor old dog when I am walking my blue shelties although interestingly enough never had it with my merle aussies. They seldom believe me when I say they are born this colour.

I knew before getting a Great Dane that I would get the horse/pony/saddle comments but I was most amused to find there is a christmas alternative version: "bloody hell, I hope you'll get that Reindeer back to the northpole before Santa needs him!" was shouted to my OH on a neighbourhood walk with Atticus :rofl: :rofl: :o

Edited by Kissindra

omg!! i have never heard such stupid comments... theirs not yours i mean lmao... i have a friend that took her poms to a pet shop once and this person in the shop tried telling my friend that her champion show pom was in fact a samoyed (spelling may be off i never can remember how its spelt lol) puppy

Ive actually had this argument a couple of times from dog breeders!

If your dog is mated to a mongrel it ruins your bitch for life all the puppies she has for the next several litters could also be cross bred! :rofl::rofl::o

True - they really believed it - thought I was an idiot because I didnt know.

I knew before getting a Great Dane that I would get the horse/pony/saddle comments but I was most amused to find there is a christmas alternative version: "bloody hell, I hope you'll get that Reindeer back to the northpole before Santa needs him!" was shouted to my OH on a neighbourhood walk with Atticus :rofl::o :D

:):( I think that's someone with a good sense of humour!

eta: My plumber had a Rottweiler and reckons he was 100 kilos, fit, lean and healthy. :rofl: I can't use him anymore as it just annoys me too much when people get sizes, weights and breeds so messed up.

Edited by Clyde

I'm wrong, my dog is NOT a poodle, it must be a labradoodle. You don't GET poodles that big; poodles are a small breed. Duh!

Either that, or it's a giant poodle, not a standard poodle, but I can sorta understand that one cos there's the mini/standard/giant schnauzers, vs the toy/mini/standard poodles...

Ive actually had this argument a couple of times from dog breeders!

If your dog is mated to a mongrel it ruins your bitch for life all the puppies she has for the next several litters could also be cross bred! :rofl::rofl::o

True - they really believed it - thought I was an idiot because I didnt know.

Hahaha :D

Lots of funny stoies in this thread...