Concerned

I am guessing you would not like to see photos of my Whippets. I keep them in lean condition with a visible rib or two and some visible verterbrae. To some people that show Whippets they would like more fat cover on them. I like lean mean running machines. They are certainly not skinny they are fit athletes.

I have to fatten Howie up to show him. :D

He would usually have three visble vertebrae and my vet says that's about right for a sighthound. I love my vet. :thumbsup:

My vets love mine as well.

I could do with putting some more condition on them for the ring which I will do, but I am not putting on as much as some I have seen, I just couldn't live with myself!!

I have been told it is refreshing to see lean fit dogs instead of the fat ones they see a majority of the time.

I definately agree with the cruciate ligamnet bit. Most of the dogs you see that have blown them are overweight for their breed. Some have not very good hind leg conformation, some are just unlucky but being over weight increases the chances of injury many times over.

Edited by OSoSwift

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are a lot of very oversized chunky amstaffs, and maybe that was your mental picture of them ?

I know the first correct one's I saw at shows, didn't resemble at all the tough guy chunked up blocky things that some blokes walked on chains in suburbia !!

could just be an expectation thing too.

from that pic she looks to be in good shape.

fifi

from the pic posted your dog looks in good shape. i like my dogs lean and i was often accused of starving my lab because she had a waist, you could feel and see her ribs, she had muscle and could swim a great distance...she was beautiful :thumbsup:

i have a smaller dog now and i fed her too much (i was used to bigger dogs) so she went on a diet and now has a waist and i can feel her ribs...she isn't as lean as i had my bigger dogs but i am ok with how she is now.

we get so used to seeing overweight dogs we have forgotten what a lean healthy dog looks like :D

So, are you all suggesting she is fine the way she is and not try and put weight on her?

I will upload more photos after work.

If she looks anything like the pic that PF posted I wouldn't be in a rush to get weight on her. I also wouldn't be in a rush to change her diet until she has settled in. If you don't know much about raw feeding do your research on it first too - the Ian Billinghurst books are a good starting point: http://www.drianbillinghurst.com/products.php?pid=2

Just a question though. If you were so digusted by her condition, she was wobbly on her feet and the breeders story seemed dodgy (ie, she was at a mates place for 4 weeks) then why did you take her in the first place :D Aren't you getting a new pup in a few weeks anyway? Just curious...

she looks a little lean in the muscle like she hasnt been doing much but she is a rather long backed dog which probably makes her look leaner. Yes I agree too many people are used to a stocky overweight amstaff

Add my Malinois to the dogs to be mortified at, my mum came over and had a fit. She has muscle but at 7 she isnt a fat dog and runs around all the time. She eats about a kilo of raw a day at the moment so hey, she's not being starved at all.

Hello again

I have uploaded a couple of photos I just took of her.

I have a feeling I'm going to get the same responses, which is fine! I guess I'm just not used to seeing dogs like this..

zvvkup.jpg

23wphf.jpg

And because I can't resist, a photo of Bronson who arrived today. He and Scout get along beautifully.. :laugh:

j80db4.jpg

So, are you all suggesting she is fine the way she is and not try and put weight on her?

If she looks anything like the pic that PF posted I wouldn't be in a rush to get weight on her. I also wouldn't be in a rush to change her diet until she has settled in. If you don't know much about raw feeding do your research on it first too - the Ian Billinghurst books are a good starting point: http://www.drianbillinghurst.com/products.php?pid=2

Just a question though. If you were so digusted by her condition, she was wobbly on her feet and the breeders story seemed dodgy (ie, she was at a mates place for 4 weeks) then why did you take her in the first place :laugh: Aren't you getting a new pup in a few weeks anyway? Just curious...

That dog looks great in the photo. Dogs are not meant to be bulky. The more they weigh the more chance of complications. Most dogs in Aus are overweight, probably because the Aussie just loves their dog so much they overfeed. Be grateful you can always feed the dog a bit more to put on weight but it's dam hard to get an overweight dog to lose weight.

Just a question though. If you were so digusted by her condition, she was wobbly on her feet and the breeders story seemed dodgy (ie, she was at a mates place for 4 weeks) then why did you take her in the first place :laugh: Aren't you getting a new pup in a few weeks anyway? Just curious...

That dog looks great in the photo. Dogs are not meant to be bulky. The more they weigh the more chance of complications. Most dogs in Aus are overweight, probably because the Aussie just loves their dog so much they overfeed. Be grateful you can always feed the dog a bit more to put on weight but it's dam hard to get an overweight dog to lose weight.

She could probably do with a little bit of weight, but she's far from an RSPCA case. Can we get a full body shot of her so we can see her face too?

Sure, sorry. I was just trying to show the frame of her.

I have a couple but they don't show the rest of her very well, I'm doing well aren't I :laugh:

Maybe I'm coming across wrong here. I don't want her bulky, a keg, tank or anything else! I just didn't think it was normal for ribs to be showing :o

fllt76.jpg

She looks good to me. Personally I would keep her weight reasonably the same, maybe a very slight increase(talking half a kilo at the most) and just concentrate on giving her a good quality diet and getting and keeping her fitness up.

She looks good to me. Personally I would keep her weight reasonably the same, maybe a very slight increase(talking half a kilo at the most) and just concentrate on giving her a good quality diet and getting and keeping her fitness up.

has this owner ever had a dog before, doesnt sound like it. Dogs are far better off lean. Its great lots of experienced dog owners are giving their views.

A fat dog is not a healthy dog. This breed in particular should look the way your dog does.