Anyone Else Get Emotional As Your Dog Gets Older?

Muttaburra

Today was Maxi's 11th Birthday, have had him since he was 2 years old.

:thumbsup:

If he conforms to the breed norm, he may still have some good years yet, but now it seems so finite. :rofl:

When I walk him and Gracie, people stop and make a fuss over Gracie (too cute) then turn to Maxi and go "Aww, say hello to the old one" (sniff), or "he's getting old now isn't he". ;)

Thing is he is still very active agile, still loves a ball game, or any game really, and does not act old at all.

His eyesight is dimming, and his face is all grey.

Once people used to stop and exclaim "Oh what a pretty boy!", but his lovely "beagle boys" black eye mask and tan trimmings have all faded. I am sure he knows that people don't fuss the way they used to.

He is so special and I adore him so much, and my love for him will never fade and only gets stronger.

Happy Birthday Maxi

:D

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My oldest poodle boy Ted is now 13 and a half. He came to me aged 11 weeks and is my first dog. He was my introduction to to dog training, to obedience, to agility and to so many aspects of dog ownership.

He's grey now not black, his eyes are cloudy and his coat is thinning. He stresses easily these days and startles easily too (probably the lower vision) but he'll still hoon around the back yard from time to time and loves a squeeky latex toy. He still wants an hour's walk and he'll tow me home once we head back - and because he's old, I let him. :thumbsup: He's getting a bit fragile physically and I've become more protective of him as a result. He can't afford to be knocked around by big pups or dogs and begs to be picked up now if he's worried about one.

I'm hoping for a few more years with him but I am conscious that he is now an old man in dog terms. I'm not planning on spending much time away from home this year as he stresses and I want to spend more time with him while he is still with me.

I think they get more precious as you realise they they are in their sunset years and that they won't be with you forever. :D So yes, I do get more emotional about him. It will be a hard goodbye when the time comes.

Edited by poodlefan

My Goldie looks a bit older but doesn't act noticeably older, he is 10.5. Hearing loss is the only thing, but what do you expect of a dog with pendant ears who is wet every day? My GSD turned 9 yesterday, still keeps up with me and no visible signs of aging, but she has definitely slowed down. That is probably a good thing, but it makes me sad. Her favourite toy at the moment is a 6' garden sleeper, which she stole, so realistically she is still burning brighter than most.

Happy Birthday Maxi!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY MAX!!

Yes it is tough especially when the grey hairs appear. I can see my ten year old retiring. :rofl: It is as if a part of her has already gone BUT there is plenty of her still here so I try to focus on that and bring out the puppy in her out as much as possible. She still loves getting out and about to meet people but she does like to relax and chill out more often around the house than she used to. It reminds me of the inevitable; it is as if I am being prepared for it. :D

Then again, I also thought this about my boy when he was ten and he ended up leaving when he was 16 :thumbsup:

You never know.

Yes, as my APBT aged I got VERY emotional.

My mum bought him for me for my 11th Birthday after the family cat was run over.

We went through so much together, sometimes I even wagged high school just to spend the day at the beach with him :D

I got so protective of him in his last years I dumped two boyfriends for yelling at him or smacking him because he peed on the floor or chewed something :rofl:

I'm almost 26 now and I only lost him in September 2010 to cancer. My heart shattered like you wouldn't believe. :thumbsup:

Doesn't take much to set me off. I've seen a few bits of grey showing around my 11 yr old golden tibbie Nina Zena's muzzle. So she's getting more hugs & cuddles that ever.

There's an old song which keeps running thro' my head...it was about growing old, with 'silver threads among the gold'. Fits, except the silver is showing on the muzzle. Just brings me to tears.

Darling, you are growing old,

Silver threads among the gold

Shine upon your brow today;

Life is fading fast away;

But, my darling, you will be, will be,

Always young and fair to me,

Yes, my darling, you will be,

Always young and fair to me.

Edited by mita

My toy poodle made it to almost 16. Just thinking about losing him would set me off (still does). He was my little shadow. Each day spent with him became more and more precious as he aged. We went for the occasional big walk in his dotage, to the end of the street, 100m :thumbsup: and I would carry him home, he still liked to pee on everything! Blind, deaf and toothless at the end, I nursed and loved him so. Took me two years to get another dog. This one's wormed her way into my heart, she's 3 and I hope I have many more years with her.

Happy Birthday Maxi.

Yes, I worry that my youngest dogs are rising 7 and Penny will be 12 this year. She's in fantastic condition but whippets generally go at around 13. Even if she lives to be an old dog by whippet standards it still means she'll probably be gone in 3 years. :thumbsup:

I got Emma about 5 days before her 9th birthday. Big decision to make knowing that she was already an old dog. So she's been with me for 3 years, just had her 12th birthday a month ago. Around that time had heaps of health problems revolving around surgery she had just had, and everytime I had to take her back to the vet (which was daily!) I was convinced she was going to die - had I been logical I wouldn't have thought that, but I was being emotional not logical!! She's now doing pretty well and I'm sure will have a couple more years left, but everytime I think of her being old it just makes me sad so I just keep her trying to do the things she loves and I don't care what she does because she's perfect and she's allowed to do anything at her age!! If she weren't diabetic she'd also be allowed to eat anything she wanted, but I guess she still needs to have some boundaries!! Maybe that's what keeps her young!

I just like to give her a hug, take her for her walk, tell she's beautiful and I love her every day!! She needs to have these things while she can!

It's awful, just awful when they get to the point where you have to face reality. I have lost two oldies in the past 4 years, the second one just yesterday. They seemed to age slowly, then all of a sudden they were old....slow moving, hard of hearing, sensitive to the cold, slept a lot more.

Neither of mine ever had any health problems thank goodness, they were relatively healthy right to the end. The first one to go had a stroke which was so bad she had to be pts at 14, the one who died yesterday just got old and faded fast in the last week.

However, they were both loved as much as they could possibly be and I gave them the best life I knew how. I honestly think I managed to extend Kassy's life by a few months just by moving house....she really seemed to love our new place and it seemed to invigorate her and give her a new lease on life as she trotted around inspecting everything and finding the best places for a snooze.

Happy birthday Maxi, may you have many more enjoyable ones.

It can be sad. My boyfriend's dog is almost 15 and it shows. He is so eager for walks but we realised the other day that they can't be as long as he wants them to be. He gets so puffed out by the time we are home. He is very grey in the face and very slow moving, one eye is clouded over. But he is still such a huge puppy on the inside. It's just his old body that holds him back. It makes you appreciate every moment with them so much more.

Happy birthday to Maxi! And sorry to hear about Kassy, Gayle.

Yes in the last week to ten days it's hit home that my beloved Mac, who I've had for 5 years in March is really getting old and my days with him are numbered. :)

I do know that I have given him a wonderful life (and he me), but the reality is hard... so I treasure every moment with him. :shrug:

Happy Birthday Maxi and here's to many more happy and healthy ones.

Happy Birthday Maxi!!

My little Stafford Jessie is 13 now. Her hearing is not what it used to be so she doesn't always greet me at the door when I come home from work ( always scares me a little so I look for her immediately).

Her eyes are a little cloudy and her face is a grey mask.

She sleeps a lot but boy does she do a bum wiggle dance when she claps eyes on the leads coming out!! :shrug: She would still happily walk all day long if given the chance trotting along with her big Stafford grin.

She sometimes needs to be carried up the stairs to bed at night and her snoring is getting louder and louder :)

I try not to think about the inevitable and just enjoy her for who she is. She's my baby girl to the end.

Happy Birthday Maxie!

Yes I am sitting here with 'leaky eyes', my old lad is Carlin and he has been 'old' since he was about 6 when he had a canine stroke, he has lost a lot of his eye sight, he has been unco ever since his stroke, as soon as he met my house mate (for whom I am p/t carer) he bonded with him and follows him everywhere (my house mate is disabled and unco too and returns the devotion)

I say a little Thankyou morning and night to whatever powers are out there, guiding us through life, and the dogs I love now and have loved in the past are always the first Thank You's I utter.

All so very specail, all so dearly loved here with me now or long gone.

annie

First up Happy Birthday gorgeous Maxi, I would still stop to say hello to you if i saw you out walking :shrug:. I'm a sucker for a grey face.

I have 3 that are 7 years and older, Tinny does not act like a 7 year old so i dont worry about her. But the other 2 are starting to show signs of not being young uns anymore.

One has come on very quickly so it has beeen a big shock to me. He sleeps more, is starting to get a little unsteady in his back legs etc. Mind you this is a dog who still runs just as well at Flyball as he ever has, but pays a little the following days. I wont run him into the ground like some do though, and he will retire before it gets to hard on him. I am not having a dog that i cannot even take for a walk in his twilight years.

Clover tore a cruciate at ten years old and is now 12. She is doing ok but her eye sight is starting to fade, and she definitely cannot go on huge walks anymore and prefers to pick her own pace. I guess with her i have had a lot of time to get used to the idea that she is getting older, but with Elvis it has shocked me a little and i do get emotinal about him :).