Goodbye Wally Old Mate

indigirl

From the moment I first read Trisvens post about two elderly shelties that had been dumped in Albury pound after the death of their owner, I felt a strong desire to help the male sheltie. Wally eventually made his way to Broken Hill and settled into life here. He was deaf as a post, had failing eyesight and a gimpy leg, he was unable to be walked on lead, had to be fed a certain way or he would throw up, and he barked enough to drive any person to drink.

After a few months of tearing my hair out over the barking I learned to live with it. Wally was such a gentle and affectionate old dog. He was never in a bad mood and always greeted me so happily. He loved affection, and was so gentle with puppies and kittens alike.

Around 3 months ago I noticed Wally starting to deteriorate. He had dementia and was becoming confused. He began barking for long periods of time during the night and I was unable to settle him. He was also finding it increasingly more difficult to get up, as he had arthritis in his legs.

This morning I had Wally put to sleep, I held him to my chest and talked to him so he could feel my voice vibrating even if he couldn't hear me. wally turned 14 about 10 days ago, not a bad innings for a sheltie with so many health problems.

I really loved the old guy and will miss him greatly.

wallywatching.jpg

Goodbye Wally old mate, I will always remember you with the greatest affection.

Jeebus he looks awesome in that photo Indigirl!!! When I remember the obese old boy I brought home from the pound its so hard to believe that he is the same dog.

He was a lucky, lucky dog to have found you and had the end of an innings he deserved and I know just how hard a decision this was - you fought longer than anyone else would have I think.

Run free over the Rainbow Bridge Wally and bark to your heart's content. ;) :laugh:

Sorry Kylie, I know how much he meant to you and how long you've struggled with his illness.

The photo of him is amazing, you looked after him and his every need, so very well. He was lucky to have found you and spent the last months with you, you gave him far more than most would have done under very difficult circumstances.

My hat is off to you, for your forbearance and capacity to love. The dogs and I send you a big hug.

Rest easy Wally ;)

I too remember reading Wally's story and was so happy that he found such a loving home to spend the rest of his days.

Take care Indigirl. Such a loving farewell to a gorgeous oldie.

My thoughts are with you.