My Poor Beagle

huski

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have not been able to stop crying since I left her at the vets, she was so distressed about it once the bandage came off, I am so worried about her and I'm scared about what might happen to her paw, it's been swollen for more than 24 hrs now :(

I know how you feel, its not a good feeling leaving them at the vets. Sending positive healing vibes to Daisy and some chill vibes to yourself. It will all be ok.

Hope poor Daisy is ok - that happened to one of my dogs - the vets didn't put any cotton wool in between the bandage to allow for swelling and her paw was huge and red and swollen. Once the bandage was taken off, I could literally see the paw going down. I told them not to bandage the paw again (I thought the vets would know to make sure that the bandage wasn't too tight - it's basic first aid!!). The swelling went down, the paw healed and no further issues. I have since changed vets.

Thanks so much everyone for all your thoughts.

Daisy is home now, the vet has taken out some of the stitches to take the pressure off but he said it may be a couple of days until the swelling goes down. We'll just have to watch her a lot more now because the wound is a bit more open.

Mum went out and bought Daisy a new bed, and a sheepskin blanket, and she is now sitting on both in front of the fan :( (our house is so hot at the moment I can't bare to crate her).

I got her some chewy dried treats to keep her occupied (that's a big treat - I don't ever feed dried chewy things as a rule).

Back to the vet possibly tomorrow and definitely on Monday to change the bandage and check on the progress. The vet has been really great and helpful, so fingers crossed that she will make a fast recovery. She will be out of action for at least two weeks (best case scenario). She can't walk on the leg at all at the moment ;)

Edited by huski

Poor Daisy, she looks zonked.

Yeah she's a bit dopey and quiet, actually I don't think she's ever been this voluntarily quiet before ;) I'm sure she'll be back to being a PITA to keep quiet by tomorrow, though :( (little does she know the vet gave me some sedatives for her - LOL)

ETA: you can see her big bandaged paw in this one (from last night);

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=197...129743663721651

Edited by huski

Glad she is home and resting. It must be very distressing for you to see her like that.

Yeah it was awful, I was at work yesterday when the paw first swelled to that size and mum rushed her to the vet so I didn't actually have to see it (when I got home, it was bandaged up again). I wasn't expecting to see it so badly swollen today, and I'll never forget how awful it was when the bandage came off and I actually got to see how grotesquely swollen it was. I can't describe the feeling it was horrible and Daisy was so distressed :grouphug:

Holy cr*p Huski, that is one serious bandage Daisy is sporting :(

Thanks Dyz, and yes it's a huge bandage - it has to be because that's basically the size her paw has swollen up to ;)