Creative Spelling And Pronunciation For Breeds.

pixie_meg

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

West Highland White Terrier & Cavalier King Charles Spaniel...... OMG the variations i have heard!

Mareema

Pomaranium

Peckenese

Keyshound

Cane Terrier

Samoya

my second dog was a Bouvier des Flandres. I told most people who asked that he was a Dutch Cattle Dog...much easier!

Edited by DBT

Guest english.ivy
Try owning a malinois. :thumbsup:

Um...speaking of which, how do you pronounce it? :laugh:

LOL.

Mal-in-wah. :laugh:

Try Groenendael :rofl:

I found the Groen the hardest to learn to pronounce out of the four. But I rarely call her a Groenendael, she's called a Belgian Shepherd when people ask as no one knows about them in Perth.

eta - to make sense

Edited by english.ivy

My pet hate BELGIUM Shepherds.

Groenendahl and Tervueren are easy. It's the Mals and Laks that have people going.

Oh yes, that used to bug me too when I had them.

It's not Germany Shepherds or Australia Terriers, why on earth do people think it's Belgium Shepherds.

Papillion is a popular BYB spelling.

And some people do pronounce it with the 'L' sound rather than the proper 'pap-ee-yon'.

I worked with a guy at the boarding kennels who said -Pap-illi-yon- He pronounced the L's and the I's in it. When I heard him say I had to ask him to repeat it 3 times before I could work out what he was trying to say! :)

Met a lady who wanted to email me for more information about our White Swiss Shepherd Dog puppy as she'd never heard of them before.

On a scrap of paper she wrote down the breed (as a reminder for herself) and then handed the paper to me so I could write my email address.

Had to look twice at what she wrote:

Right Swizz Shephead

Maybe I need to enunciate better..........

My pet hate BELGIUM Shepherds.

Groenendahl and Tervueren are easy. It's the Mals and Laks that have people going.

What is the correct pronounciation for those, took me long enough to get the Mali's right!

Groan-en-darl

Ter-ver-en

Mal-en-wah

Lak-en-wah

'ois' is pronounced 'wah' in French (and in Belgian also I suppose)

Having a Central Asian Ovcharka or Central Asian Shepherd Dog proved entertaining, even after 3 years my OH always asked what he was. In the end when people asked him what breed Jake was he just said "he looks after animals and they come from overseas in the mountains :)