Tsunami Dog Found Alive At Sea

Mila's Mum

http://www.stuff.co.nz/world/asia/japan-ea...nd-alive-at-sea

(see video in link)

Three weeks after being swept out to sea by Japan's devastating tsunami, a dog was found alive on a floating island of debris.

Crew on a Japan Coastguard helicopter circling the wreckage of a house floating on the ocean got a surprise when they saw the dog scramble out from beneath the rubble.

The house had been washed away not far from the Kesennuma coast in northern Japan, following the magnitude 9 earthquake and tsunami on March 11 that left more than 28,000 people dead or missing and damaged six nuclear reactors.

As the helicopter moved in closer, the frightened dog retreated below the rubble, forcing rescuers to descend winch down toward the floating debris.

The dog was eventually rescued by a coast guard boat when the helicopter reportedly ran out of fuel.

Japanese broadcaster NTV said there were hopes that the dog would be able to lead the coastguard to its owner.

A massive search and recovery operation is underway to find 18,000 people still missing and now presumed dead.

Probably did quite well on fish and seagulls judging by the amount of debris that had gathered around the house. Small fish would have been hiding amongst the flotsam as it is a protection for them from larger fish. No doubt larger fish would have been caught in what looked like fishing nets in twinned in the flotsam. Easy pickings for a savvy scavenger.

I just read the good news on Yahoo. It made my day. :hug::):laugh:

http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/a/-/world...reunited-owner/

A dog that was rescued from a floating roof off Japan's tsunami-battered north-east coast was reunited with its owner on Monday, public broadcaster NHK said.

Two-year-old Ban yapped and jumped into the arms of her owner, a woman in her 50s and a resident of Kesennuma in Miyagi prefecture, a port town severely hit in the March 11 disaster, television footage showed.

A Japan Coast Guard elite rescue unit picked up the dog after spotting it on a floating house roof two kilometres from Kesennuma, in a rescue widely broadcast as a rare happy moment amid the calamity.

The woman recognised her pet, which was kept in an animal shelter following its rescue late last week, after watching NHK.

"I recognised her immediately after seeing her face," she said, hugging the animal as Ban licked her face.

"I am happy that she seems healthy. I want to cherish her when I take her back."

The Japan Coast Guard is still searching for thousands of people missing after the magnitude-9.0 earthquake and tsunami struck.

The twin disasters killed 12,175 people and 15,489 remain missing, national police said.

It's not the first story of canine survival that has moved the Japanese people.

Recently a video showing a shivering and disoriented dog, remaining loyally by the side of a stricken fellow pooch, made national headlines.