List Of Councils With 2 Dog Rules

Whippetsmum

I just checked the 2 local councils near me:

Blacktown NSW"Generally residents may keep an unlimited amount of animals as pets, provided they do not cause a nuisance through containment, noise or hygiene issues.

If complaints are submitted to Council and proven, then restrictions on the number and how they are kept may be imposed as Council sees fit."

Hills Council NSW has a 4 dog limit in houses but has stricter rules for Townhouse dwellers

The Companion Animals Act that covers the whole of NSW does not allow any council to apply limits to numbers unless a complaint is made about a particular dwelling. If a complaint is made the council can resolve the problem as they see fit. Dogs are actually not required to be registered with the council but with the State Govt and the details of which dogs are registered in the area are passed on to each council by the govt.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So....does that mean I don't actually have to register my dog.....hyperthetically with my council?

You can lifetime register your dog with the state govt at any council or agent, it doesn't have to be your actual council. For example, Renbury Farm animal shelter have the contract to act as the pound for several different council areas and dogs can be registered there that are going to live in any area. I register mine there because the staff know what they are doing better than the council staff do. I could however go to say Coffs Harbour or Wagga and register a dog that resides in Sydney. It doesn't matter where you lodge the registration so long as it is registered within the state.

pretty sure every Adelaide metropolitan council has a 2 dog limit, and most towns do as well. 1 dog in an attached dwelling/unit, 2 dogs in a detached dwelling. Out of town in the country areas it's different everywhere. It's 5 where i am under ordinary circumstances (we have a kennel permit)

You are lucky. Onkaparinga Council - even if you are in semi-rural - is a two dog council (same for all metro councils). To get a Kennel Permit in Onka now, you must have a minimum of 5 acres and even then there can be restrictions. (I know someone in the council with enough land, but it is in an 'environmental heritage' area and they can only have 3 dogs max)

Pretty sure the 1 dog rule has to do with how much land you have. Under 400m2 and you can only have one dog. (according to my council and the LGA).

I remember that the rule in WA as a whole was 2 dogs, except in kennel areas, though councils have the option of setting a higher (or lower) limit, or allowing more dogs on rural properties. Many don't bother enforcing the rules in the bush.

Tablelands Regional Council has 2 Dogs rule without permits but you can get a permit to keep more.

No permit or limit is required if you have land that is over 8.1 hectares.

I have asked and asked and it is funny that noone at the council can give an answer without the paperwork being submitted and the application fee paid. :)

ETA If you want a kennel permit you have to go through town planning but they still can't tell you what is required for the permit *shrugs*

Edited by dwilds

Sydney City Council, doesn't have a dog limit. I had 6 GSD's in a Terrace in Newtown, that were approved by the Council.

I used to walk all of them twice a day, no problems with neighbors, in fact the near neighbours told the inspector after a new neighbour moved in the house 4 doors down the street that there were no problems accept those caused by the new neighbour.

Inspector finally put all complaints by this one neighbour down to malice as he and the other inspectors got sick of being told my dogs were barking. Including when the dogs went into kennels for a month to see what would happen!!!!

Rockingham City Council (WA)

2 dog limit. To get a permit for more:

Pay $55 non refundable application fee

Ranger interviews you

Ranger inspects the dogs and the property (checking for adequate and appropriate shelter and access to clean drinking water)

Ranger interviews every adjoining neighbour

Ranger makes a recommendation and passes the application to the Senior Ranger for final decision

Donnybrook/ Balingup Shire (south of Perth)

2 dogs within townsite, 4 dogs outside of townsite. If within the townsite with more than 2 dogs, you can apply for a permit:

Submit a letter to the Ranger stating the number of dogs, a basic description and any other information that will help your case

The application is discussed at the next council meeting

A decision is made by the council and the applicant is supplied with a letter.

You can apply in advance by sending a letter/ email to the ranger with the above information. The council can then give you an indication of the likelihood of obtaining a permit. From memory, I don't think there was an application fee.

Mornington Shire (VIC)

Depends on the size of the block. A permit application is $50.

Liverpool Council (Sydney - NSW) Shoalhaven Council (NSW) Queanbeyan Council (NSW)

No limit on number of dogs

Edited by Dxenion

pretty sure every Adelaide metropolitan council has a 2 dog limit, and most towns do as well. 1 dog in an attached dwelling/unit, 2 dogs in a detached dwelling. Out of town in the country areas it's different everywhere. It's 5 where i am under ordinary circumstances (we have a kennel permit)

You are lucky. Onkaparinga Council - even if you are in semi-rural - is a two dog council (same for all metro councils). To get a Kennel Permit in Onka now, you must have a minimum of 5 acres and even then there can be restrictions. (I know someone in the council with enough land, but it is in an 'environmental heritage' area and they can only have 3 dogs max)

Pretty sure the 1 dog rule has to do with how much land you have. Under 400m2 and you can only have one dog. (according to my council and the LGA).

We're Tea Tree Gully, officially we're only allowed one dog because we're semi-detached/strata, however I got a permit for a second dog. Otherwise it's two dogs, but you can get permits for more.

Whitehorse - up to 4 animals (cats/dogs) however no more than 3 of either.

Boroondara - no more than 2 of each

We've had more on occasion and never had a problem. Mind you cats are hard to pin down and our dogs dont bark (hence no complaints). In general I got the impression that neither council cared but given the opportunity would try to get fines if the opportunity presented itself.

We live out of town with no neighbours but i'm so surprised how limiting some councils are do you think this is the reason for an ever decreasing number of dogs at shows i remember showing 15 years ago and most people would turn up with 6 to 10 dogs (dallies) now its almost unusal for people to have more than 3 never considered this reason for decreasing numbers.

Given that local by-laws are regularly changed and each council and state is different, wouldn't it just be more sensible to tell people to check with their Council? Who on here is going to be responsible for updating the information? If it is wrong it could lead people to make costly mistakes.

Perhaps a link to a page that lists the contact details of councils across Australia would be better?

Haven't read responses but our previous council (greater shepparton vic) was 2 dogs and 2 cats.

Our current council is Moira Shire. I am still iffy on the rules, but I think its the same for residential areas. We are classed as rural, so we are allowed something like 4 dogs and 6 cats, or maybe the other way round LOL. I so pay attention, don't I? We still have to register them with the council here and de-register them with the old council.

Although I wouldn't plan to have any more than 2 dogs, once we have a stable-r environment (we are in the middle of trying to purchase a house) so like 5 years down the road, if my dream breed became available, its nice to know I am "allowed" to get it rofl. And its also good for the odd stray we may end up with that may be with us till we get a good home. As I had that problem before when I had two private fosters (i.e. it was my responsibility to find them a new home) so since it wasn't under my friends "business rescue" I was told I was keeping one dog illegally, and ended up having 3 days to find it a new home, or else they would of impounded it, luckily the sun was shining upon her, and the lady down the road took a great love to her and gave her a beautiful home, where I still got to see her walking past daily :)

City of Playford (SA) has a 2 dog limit before you need to apply for a permit for each of the next 2 (making it a 4 dog limit) - permits are approved based on the size of the dog and the available space. I'm still waiting for them to approve number 3 but you have to register them first....go figure - I'd have thought it would make more sense to approve before you get the dog.

Port Macquarie in NSW has no limit. As long as the council are not receiving any complaints about your dogs then you can have however many you want.

When I lived there I had 5 dogs and I rented! Real Estate had no problems with it and neither did the owner of the property.

It was a fairly dog friendly place, there were a number of beaches that were for dogs (and leash free areas too), and heaps of lovely places to walk your dogs on lead too.