Dog In Pain!

My thoughts are with you, although I do not know you from reading your posts I know you will be doing what is best for your dog, because that is how you come over as a caring and committed dog person - the best people!

I am in a sad place now too, but Carlin is not in physical pain, in fact he is a bit better physically than he has been for a while, but mentally he is a very sad old lad, he seems to be getting worse, he is scared of any loud noise now, not just in this house but if the next door neighbours door slams Carlin starts the whole heavy laboured breathing, acting really scared, end of the world stuff.

He wanders around the house but then every so often will act scared of going into a room for no reason, like he has seen a ghost.

He looks so haunted most of the time and I have no idea how to cheer him and make things better.

Annie

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My thoughts are with you, although I do not know you from reading your posts I know you will be doing what is best for your dog, because that is how you come over as a caring and committed dog person - the best people!

I am in a sad place now too, but Carlin is not in physical pain, in fact he is a bit better physically than he has been for a while, but mentally he is a very sad old lad, he seems to be getting worse, he is scared of any loud noise now, not just in this house but if the next door neighbours door slams Carlin starts the whole heavy laboured breathing, acting really scared, end of the world stuff.

He wanders around the house but then every so often will act scared of going into a room for no reason, like he has seen a ghost.

He looks so haunted most of the time and I have no idea how to cheer him and make things better.

Annie

Annie have you thought about de-sensitization from a dog trainer / professional ??

I don't know any where you are but I am sure plenty of DOL ppl do .. Just wondering if it's an option or crossed your mind ?

We just wanted to thank everyone for your support and guidance. No one not even my fiancee or my vet could tell me to make the fateful decision but with the help of this thread it made me open my eyes.

We have one more week with Oscar and next Saturday we will say our last good byes to my beautiful boy! :(

We could be wrong but it seems as though the medication has actually sped up the disease. He cannot jump on the bed, lounge or in the car anymore, we have to lift him on/in. He is tripping up the front steps almost every time he goes up them now and he never walks up them he runs so he is smacking his little head. He was always the biggest pain to get to eat and now since being on meds there isn't enough food around, the only time he is happy is when he is getting food or searching (literally) the house for it, other than that he is a sad sack.

Thank you again guys, If I hadn't of asked the question and got the help I would be telling myself he is ok when it's very apparent he isn't.

I have been following this thread,praying that the meds work for Oscar. My heart is breaking for you, being a cav owner, this is always in the back of my mind. I am so so sorry for the devastating turn of events. Please know that I will be thinking of you and darling Oscar :cry:

I have been reading this thread and i'm so sorry you have to say goodbye to your darling Oscar. From what you have said I think you are making the right choice. Spoil him like mad for the next week, and I'm sending you all the strength I can.

:hug: :hug: :hug:

I'm so sorry Sunnyflower :(

Thank you DF.. x

I have been following this thread,praying that the meds work for Oscar. My heart is breaking for you, being a cav owner, this is always in the back of my mind. I am so so sorry for the devastating turn of events. Please know that I will be thinking of you and darling Oscar :cry:

Thank you Bindi.. It is hard and we are discussing quite heavily of bringing another one in either in the next few weeks or around Christmas time and I want nothing more than to get the Cav I've been robbed of but Ia am scared that I am going to watch the new pup to closely and panic at the drop of the hat. One of the wonderful DOLers has put me in touch with a top breeder who's male is SM clear pup I am questioning myself if right now my heart is open to another Cav. Not forever, just for now!

I have been reading this thread and i'm so sorry you have to say goodbye to your darling Oscar. From what you have said I think you are making the right choice. Spoil him like mad for the next week, and I'm sending you all the strength I can.

Thank you Melzawelza :). He has been getting spoilt and he is a bit smelly but he doesn't like baths that much and I feel like I should bath him but I'm not going to. He can forever be a stinky dog laugh.gif.

I'm worried about our cat though. Osc has always been there and he frets without him!

I've been following this thread and have shed a tear or two (well, lots really) for you :cry:

Hoping his last week is a great one and he goes over the bridge happy, a bit fat, a little smelly, but most of all, knowing he is very much loved :hug:

I'm so, so sorry Sunnyflower :hug: Like others have said, I've shed many tears whilst following this thread.

I hope you and Oscar have a wonderful last week together. If he is enjoying food now, then let him be a little piggy and indulge him with treats he wouldn't normally get.

I will be thinking of you next Saturday and wishing Oscar a peaceful journey to Rainbow Bridge where he will feel no more pain :hug:

Thank you so much everyone for your hugs and thoughts, it means so much to us! Oscar is coming everywhere with us because I do not want to leave his side. I have some pretty cute photos we just took of him in the car, he is sporting some serious demon eyes laugh.gif, when I work out how to get them off my new phone I shall post them!

Lots of treats and cuddles. He thinks it's all heaven and so far that is all I want him to feel! My best friend is coming down tomorrow and she said she is baking him something so lets wait to see what she is creating. I am positive he will love it!