Do You Have A List Of What Breeds You Want To Own One Day?

Aztec Gold

I've compiled a list of my most favourite breeds that I am hoping to research and own one day!! Ever since joining DOL I've often found myself daydreaming about different breeds, and seeing everyone's signatures and reading their experiences of their beautiful dogs really makes me smile! What a lovely community! Anyway, here they are :)

1. Golden Retriever

We get our golden boy pup mid August! I've had experience with a few goldens when I was younger, who were never properly looked after (In short, elderly owner, back problems, unable to walk them or play with them, so I walked them and played with them every second day at least, she was my next door neighbour). We're all so excited, but he will be an only dog until our young girls are much much older!! They are 6 months and 19 months. Busy times ahead!!

2. Greyhound

My partner grew up with many many greyhounds (and rottweilers!!) and loves them so much! I've become fond of them too! We went to greyhound racing one day and got the chance to meet sooo many beautiful greyhounds and they were all so lovely! (I don't neccesarily agree with racing) So hopefully we can one day own a retired racer and give him/her a lovely retirement!

3. Borzoi

OMG they are the most amazing looking dog I've ever seen! I saw one at the park the other day and wow! Beautiful!! I know next to nothing about this breed though so a lot of research will be done over the years!!

4. Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever

Again I know next to nothing about these but they look so lovely! Does anyone own one on here?

5. Mini Schnauzer

My partner has a thing for the little guys! So no doubt I should add it to the list!

Does anyone else just randomly find themselves daydreaming about which breeds of dog they'd like to own at least once in their life? Or am I odd? LOL :)

A few breeds I love, but I doubt I could ever own one due to their requirements are:

Australian Shepherd

Border Collie

Blue Heeler

Kelpie

Breeds my family owned while I was growing up (not the same thing as owning yourself though I understand!!) are:

Labrador x Golden

Yorkshire x Australian Terrier

And a beautiful little Schipperke that I spent a lot of time with!

What are the breeds that you would love to own one day? Or do you have any breeds you love but think maybe you wouldn't own one due to their requirements etc?

(PS: I love this site! So much information!! I think I joined three or four weeks ago and I've spent 50+ hours on here just looking through pages!!)

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes - and almost too many to count!

I am allergic to normal fur. So my list goes like this:

Standard Poodle

another mini poodle

another bichon (RIP Mozart)

Lagotto

Tibetan Terrier

if I could have any breed (ie ignore my allergies) it would also include:

Aussie Shepherd

Hungarian Viszla

Greater Munsterlander

Irish Red and White Setter

Welsh Springer

Kelpie

Whippet (I grew up with a Whippet cross and she was just the perfect dog!)

bearded collie

rough collie

and the list goes on (and on and on)

Edited by Zug Zug

My wish list would go something like this

1) cocker spaniel ( just got my first boy)

2) Shetland sheep dog

3) German Shepard ( grown up with them and love them to bits)

4) springer spaniel

5) golden retriever

6) rough collie

7) English setter

8) red setter

Mine are:

Irish Wolfhound first and foremost. I have wanted one since I was a child, we were on the list to get one and then I adopted on of my foster dogs and my husband is unwilling to have 4 pet dogs and one foster

StaffordI have a Staffy girl and a Staffy X but I believe I will always have a Staffy in my home

Pug Who couldn't love this breed.

Great DaneI have always admired the breed. My friend had a wonderful Dane and he was a good ambassador for the brred

French Bulldog Again a friend has 2 Frenchies and they are funny and have the most wonderful characters

British Bulldog Just love them!

GreyhoundA breed again that freinds own and I love their temperament.

BullmastiffAn admired breed from way back..

I grew up with Poodles and Bischon Frise's but I love more boofy dogs. Since being in the position to be able to own my own dogs I have been involved in rescue and I have ended up falling in love with other dogs like a 10 year old Blue Heeler!!! She was who made me believe in love at first sight.

Anyway that is my brief off the top of my head list.

Exciting to see Kelpies make the list!!

Currently I own Kelpies (aka lounge lizards at home and anything I want them to be when I go out) and a Finnish lapphund

I plan on having more of these but I also want some one-offs

Ibizian hound or Pharaoh hound or Saluki- as a show dog

Belgian Shep - Laekenois because I think it would be exciting to train

Papillion- small funky and fun to train

and a Bitza rescue terrier- they are just cool!!

Edited by ~Woofen~

Not any more..

I've kicked a LOT of breed tyres over the years but I think I've found the breeds I will stick to:

Whippets :love:

Poodles (Miniatures and Toys) :love::love:

I am lucky enough to have many friends who have their own preferred breeds that I like but don't necessarily want to own.. Mostly hounds and gundogs. Borzoi and Irish Wolfhounds are wonderful dogs but I can't see one getting through my dog door :laugh:

I NEED someone I know to get a Bracco Italiano(:love:) for me to smooch but I do prefer to live with dogs that don't have flews ;)

Edited by poodlefan

Dogs that I would like to own one day:

1. Koolie

2. WL Kelpie

3. WL/field bred Labrador

4. GSP

5. WL Malinois (although i think i'll have to build myself up to this one :laugh:)

6. Hovawart (although not available in Aus :()

I'd also like to own a LGD either a maremma, anatolian or CAO but I am not sure if my circumstances will ever permit...

I'd also like to foster greyhounds but I am not sure they would be suitable for my lifestyle if they were to be the only dog I had (prefer a much more active dog).

Edited by aussielover

I have a Great Dane and a Rescue dog.

I think I will have more Great Danes and Rescue dogs... but I would also consider owning

Italian Spinone

Scottish Terrier

Bernese Mountain Dog

and if I had a place where they could have plenty of room to run when they felt the need, I would consider a sight hound probably a deerhound or greyhound :)

Funny, I was talking to a friend about this yesterday. I use to have a long list but I've cut it down too

Cavalier King Charles Spaniel (I currently have a CKCS x)

Japanese Spitz (I currently own)

Samoyed

Finnish Lapphund

Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever

I admired a lot of breeds but they won't fit into my lifestyle or I'm not the right sort of owner for that breed.

Not any more..

I've kicked a LOT of breed tyres over the years but I think I've found the breeds I will stick to:

Whippets :love:

Poodles (Miniatures and Toys) :love::love:

I am lucky enough to have many friends who have their own preferred breeds that I like but don't necessarily want to own.. Mostly hounds and gundogs. Borzoi and Irish Wolfhounds are wonderful dogs but I can't see one getting through my dog door :laugh:

I NEED someone I know to get a Bracco Italiano(:love:) for me to smooch but I do prefer to live with dogs that don't have flews ;)

I'm still working on a Bracco!!! will get there eventually... :thumbsup::laugh: Can't believe you don't want a viz! ;) :laugh: Mine are Bracco, Vizlsas (wires too), Spins, would like but probably not have enough years left, greyhound, standard poodle, portugese,english springer, welsh terrier,foxhound and a million breeds mostly french. Boston! Affenpinscer..

Have had , wollfies (love to bits), giant schnauzers, irish water spaniels, lakeland terriers, border collies, vizsla, spinone, cattle dogs, goldies, patterdales,...so many breeds, so little time :(

I currently own a Siberian Husky and a Finnish Lapphund, and I used to own Hungarian Vizslas and a Pomeranian. I can't really see us owning anything other than Spitz breeds now. We'll definitely have more lappies and maybe another Sibe or two (but only one at a time) and I'd love a Samoyed but OH is not so convinced. :laugh:

I'd love to have...

Border Collies - have always wanted one

Lappies - Soon after reading all of the threads on DOL I now want one

Samoyed - :love: Have always wanted on of these too

Brittany - After seeing Helen's on DOL I want one :)

Great Dane

Irish Wolfhound

Greyhound/Whippet

I know I won't be able to own all of those breeds because they could have different needs that I couldn't take care of in the future :)

List of breeds I've never had but always wondered about, in no particular order:

1)Mountain Cur (Not in Australia)

2)Smooth Fox Terrier

3)Smooth Collie

4)Belgian Shepherd-Laekenois

5)Bull Terrier

6)Whippet

7)Griffon Bruxellois

8)American Bulldog

9)German Pinscher

10)English Staffy