Breed Nicknames

I have this thing about just adding a y or ie to names, ie Ridgy, Pappy, Goldie, Staffy, Frenchie, Westie. LOL. Does my head in. So it's just "The Whips" at our house. :D

Does that mean you'll call my doggies Kelps? :rofl:

I have to say that the habit of shortening/adding 'y' to things does my OH's head in. He's Canadian and after being confronted with numerous Australian shortenings like postie etc, he asked me witheringly if Australians called the plumber the plumbie :p

Tangent ... the whippet discussion made me look up the Chinese word for whippet because Chinese always has interesting translations of things (cinema is electric shadows etc).

小灵狗 is whippet - means small dog of great spirit/alertness/efficiency.

Poor Kelpie, didn't even get its own name. See here, they transliterated it so that the name is Ka Er Bi Dog which is Kelpie spelled out in Chinese :p

Border Collie is 边境牧羊犬 Border Sheep Herding Dog

Rhodesian Ridgeback ended up being 罗德西亚背脊犬 - Rhodesian Back Dog

Labrador is 拉布拉多寻回犬 La Bu La Dor Retrieving Dog ...

My favourite though has to be the Chinese word for poodle 贵宾犬 ... which translates as expensive/costly/valuable guest/visitor dog! Clearly poodles are highly regarded :laugh:

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sheppies - German Shepherds and White Swiss Shepherds

Wolfies - Irish Wolfhounds

Blueys - ACD (seems to apply to red or blue), also heard them refered to as Heelers (ie Blue/ Red Heelers)

There are a few breeds which can lay claim to the nickname ''Sheppies''; the 4 Belgian Shepherd breeds, the Australian Shepherd and of course the German Shepherd.

With German Shepherds I say- Sheppies, GSDs

With Australian Shepherds I say- Aussies

With Belgian Shepherds I will say- ''The Belgians'' or;

Belgian Malinois--Mals

Belgian Tervuren--Tervs

Belgian Groenendael-- Belgian G's

Belgian Laekenois- I just refer to them as Laekenois.

I don't know if they are formal nicknames but they are what I say :).

Umm....no. Why would I do that when that's their correct name not a shortened/modified version :confused:

I suppose it is already shortened though because most people just say kelpie, rather than Australian kelpie.

Papillons are commonly known as "Pappys"

Whippets == "Whippys" :D

OK I will believe the first one but is a whippet really called a whippy??? :laugh:

:laugh: if you go into the All things Whippet thread you will see everybody seems to say Whippy :laugh:

I just refer to my 4 as "The Whips".

I have this thing about just adding a y or ie to names, ie Ridgy, Pappy, Goldie, Staffy, Frenchie, Westie. LOL. Does my head in. So it's just "The Whips" at our house. :D

Agreed. I don't tend to add "y" or "ie" onto breed names if I can help it.

In fact it would be rare that I would refer to my own breed as a Rotti. I would usually say Rottweiler or Rott. Rotti sounds too generic to me.

Yes I have issues with some of the names too. Well probably just my own breed :laugh: I call them Cavaliers or sometimes Cavs. Cavies are guinea pigs and Cavvys really does sound like backyard bred.

I use the names Staffords and Sibes. That would be from working in a grooming salon with show dogs.

My breed gets the name "Aussie" for short, which just happens to be what Australian Shepherd owners call their breed too...so it can get a little confusing some times. :laugh:

That is confusing! Someone needs to come up with a new nickname for the Australian Terrier!

Umm....no. Why would I do that when that's their correct name not a shortened/modified version :confused:

Pitiful, failed attempt at humour from me :o

I suppose it is already shortened though because most people just say kelpie, rather than Australian kelpie.

Actually, Australian Kelpie is usually used to denote the show/bench variety. The working line Kelpie is usually just called a working Kelpie or a Kelpie. Given that it's Australian, I suppose it's somewhat appropriate that its 'real' name already sounds like sort of Aussie nickname despite being named after a Celtic supernatural water horse ...

In fact it would be rare that I would refer to my own breed as a Rotti. I would usually say Rottweiler or Rott. Rotti sounds too generic to me.

Alas, here in Australia we are particularly addicted to shortening words although sometimes nicknames end up being longer than actual names. The problem with nicknames though is that it's usually what is easiest/most convenient/funniest so it tends to stick regardless of whether you like it or not. I friend who is struggling to make everyone call her four year old son Alexander by his full name and not Alex. They both have a long battle ahead of them ..

The word Westie is easier to say than West Highland White Terrier, if someone asks what sort of dogs mine are and I say West Highland White Terrier, they then usually say..Oh, a Westie.

So I say Westie so I don't appear to seem superior :laugh:

I believe a number of breeders have elected to use the short form Stafford to distinguish themselves from the BYBers pumping out badly bred, barely resembling, bred for colour dogs who advertise as having 'Staffys for sale'.

In the UK the old time breeders referred to them as Staffs or Staffords because "Staffy" was viewed as an insult to what was seen as a noble breed with the heritage of ruggedness and totally unsuited to a "cute" name. Most likened it to the term Yorkie (Yorkshire Terriers being very popular in the UK) and didn't want their breed to have a "cute" name.

One old guy wrote in a dog magazine that he blamed the Southern women for the modern day "Staffy" - that was in about 1955 :laugh:

Yes, primarily it's a pride thing.

I have never referred to my dogs as "Staffys" - they are Staffords or Staffs, but when I started in the breed no one I knew used the term and when some new comers started to they were sternly corrected.

Maybe it is a more "friendly" name, but I can only associate it with generic brindle mutts that aren't Staffords.

I have to say that the habit of shortening/adding 'y' to things does my OH's head in. He's Canadian and after being confronted with numerous Australian shortenings like postie etc, he asked me witheringly if Australians called the plumber the plumbie :p

:rofl:

Bernese Mountain Dogs = Berners (never Bernies, sounds stupid IMO)

Saint Bernards = Saints

My favourite nickname would be Iggies for Italian Greyhounds, love it! :D

Agree! They sound like little cute rockstars to me :cool:

I guess this is more of a pet name than a breed nick name but my OH calls Zola his little Staff Bull Tez :laugh: I think it's cute

I call her a Stafford. It sounds more proper and she is a proper little lady :D

I refer to Juno as an Amstaff but then I usually have to say the full name for people around here :confused: I guess they are only used to byb staffy and mixes.

Edited by Sezz

Chiming in the 'husky' debate here :)

Husky can be used as an interchangeable term for sled dogs.

At races you'll meet people with purebred siberians as well as alaskan huskies which are a different kettle of fish altogether.

So I guess it's easier to say I have a sibe or a siberian. ( But it sounds less cool in my display name :p )

Bad explanation but you get the idea

Oh that's interesting. I had always assumed it was a country-thing because all my North American friends always referred to their dogs as Sibes whereas over here, people I knew called them huskies. :o

It kind of is, because the main Huskies we have here are Sibes. Alaskan Huskies aren't as common in Australia as they are in North America. :)

I sometimes say Sibe, sometimes say Husky. Really depends on what I feel like at the time. The lappie is always a lappie though. :laugh:

Tangent ... the whippet discussion made me look up the Chinese word for whippet because Chinese always has interesting translations of things (cinema is electric shadows etc).

小灵狗 is whippet - means small dog of great spirit/alertness/efficiency.

Poor Kelpie, didn't even get its own name. See here, they transliterated it so that the name is Ka Er Bi Dog which is Kelpie spelled out in Chinese :p

Border Collie is 边境牧羊犬 Border Sheep Herding Dog

Rhodesian Ridgeback ended up being 罗德西亚背脊犬 - Rhodesian Back Dog

Labrador is 拉布拉多寻回犬 La Bu La Dor Retrieving Dog ...

My favourite though has to be the Chinese word for poodle 贵宾犬 ... which translates as expensive/costly/valuable guest/visitor dog! Clearly poodles are highly regarded :laugh:

Hmm - would have to agree with that :laugh:

Spoos = standard poodles

Sounds bad though doesn't it?

I absolutely LOATHE the term "Spoo" - sounds like a DD to me. My OH refers to the boys as "The Poodillians" or "The Flying Poodleini Brothers"

Edited by poodlemum