Too Precious For Words.

Gayle.

It's been a bloody awful couple of weeks for the DOL community, with some very special, very treasured dogs making their way to Rainbow Bridge to wait for their owners to catch up. I am still reeling with shock at the loss of not only my own boy but other DOLers dogs as well.

So here is a timely reminder that dogs lives are fragile and they can be taken in the blink of an eye. Last Monday afternoon, I drove into my driveway after work, Benson hared around the corner of the house to greet me, barking his head off, tail wagging. All was normal and very right in my world. Less than two days later, I stroked his head and whispered a tear-filled good-bye as he left us forever, a victim of a silent but deadly kidney disorder.

This weekend, please take a minute to look into your dogs eyes and say "I love you, you mean the world to me" and enjoy every second of your time with them.

They are too precious for words.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Oh my god Gayle, I am so sorry. :cry:

You are right in the blink of an eye it can all be gone.

Rest in Peace beautiful boy.

Hugs to you and your family, Shae Isaak and Dusty.

I'm so sad for my husband, Benson was his best mate. Each evening after dinner, he'd load his arms with bickies and chips and say "To the office, Benson!" and they'd head off to the rumpus room for an evening of TV watching. When ever I went in there, Benson would be curled up on the couch next to him, trying to mooch some food or just enjoying the company of his dad. They'd channel surf looking for dog shows.

The other three dogs sit with me in the lounge room, but since Benson has been gone, Dusty has divided her time between my couch and my husbands. She's very intuitive, knowing he needs her company.

Daer Gaylek, I am sorry for your loss, and I know the feelings that you are feeling, many people who are not dog/ ani

mal lovers cannot understand the tremendous bond we have with our beloved dogs. They arent' dogs they are family. I unfortunately have gone through this many times and like yourself I find that it does' not lessen the pain. Just remember the good times that you had together.

Oh Gayle, so sad :cry: My heart is breaking for you guys.

do you know what caused the kidney disorder?

No idea. I've been researching kidney disease in dogs, but nothing points to what caused it in him. It seems to be a disease of old dogs, he was only 4. Or poor diet.....his diet was varied and top quality....holistic kibble, raw meaty bones, fruit, vegetables, fresh eggs. It's not breed-linked, nor is it something linked to the collie breeds in general. I expect I'll never know, it was just one of those things. He was seemingly fit, healthy and active.

But lately we've had JulesP lose Brock suddenly, Sue and Cindy (now Sue and Waldo) lose Cindy suddenly, K9angel lose 3 of her dogs in a very short space of time, just this week losing Gypsy. And Pretty Miss Emma losing Emma. There's something doing on with those dog planets and the sooner they get back into proper alignment the better!

I'm so sorry Gayle :( What a tragic loss for you all :(:kissbetter: RIP Benson :rainbowbridge:

I agree wholeheartedly with your sentiment about our dogs being too precious for words, particularly after unexpectedly losing my own heart dog earlier this year. Never let a day go by without letting them know you love them :hug:

:cry: :cry: What awesome words, and so very true... Gayle, I am so sorry again for your loss. It's the little things that get you the most, isn't it... like Benson & your hubby's nightly TV ritual. :(

Too many lovely dogs gone just recently, and now I have to add another...we had to give our old girl her wings this morning. She was only with us for a short while, and we told her every day how much we loved her. Have reposted her story from my Rainbow Bridge post below:

:angel: Today we had to give our gorgeous old girl her wings, her back legs just couldn't cope anymore.

Mushi was brought in for boarding earlier this year, as her elderly owner was unfortunately taken into full time care and her owner's only relative (her niece) was allergic to dogs. It was to be a long-term situation, until another home was found for her. However, it's hard to find a home for an larger oldie with wobbly legs and the odd incontinence issue and so the decision was made to bring Mushi down into the house to live out the rest of her life as part of our little pack.

She settled in like she'd always been here, and the other dogs adored her, especially Buzz Whippet - the two of them had a very special relationship and Mushi would lick his face with a gorgeous Akita flat-eared, squinty smile on her face :) She brought us so much pleasure, and was truly one of the sweetest natured dogs that has ever lived. She spent most of her days asleep on her bed in the family room, but at night when Mr P-F & I were sitting down she'd shuffle over as fast as her legs would carry her and spend the rest of the evening as close to us as she could get :heart: I'll miss our evening cuddles the most, I think.

How does a house with 5 other dogs in it feel so empty? She was part of our family for only a few months but gave us enough love for a lifetime. We love you sweetheart, you will be missed forever xoxox

:cry: I am heartbroken.

Hugs to all who've lost a friend xxx :hug:

Oh dear :( what an aweful time some of our Dolers are having ATM. Having a loved one pass away is the hardest time anyone can do.

So sorry for your loss, GayleK. I tell my furry kids lots how much they mean to me & how I just adore them sooooo very much cause you just don't

ever know what the future holds.

:grouphug: thought's are with you GayleK, & to all those that have lost their very special loved ones.

Edited by BC Crazy

Thank you Gayle for reminding us how fragile and temporary life can be for our furry kids. As mine approach their 10th birthdays, I already worry about the hole they will leave behind when they are no longer with me. Every night when I put them to bed, I make sure I say "see you tomorrow" as if this will make it so. Every morning when they greet me at the back door, I give thanks that they are still with me.

Huge condolences to you and all the other grieving DOLers who are without their beloved pets this weekend. :grouphug:

I tell mine every minute how precious they are..I'm so sorry about Benson.

Monah was fine and normal and being a silly viz, an hour later I thought she had bloat! It was something else but very dangerous and rare and she had emergency surgery last weekend.. I was terrified. It was an awful and frightening weekend and I'm so lucky and blessed she is here with me on my lap! Life is very precious and the pain of loss is devastating.xxxxxxx

Thanks Gayle for this thread.

To be honest I'm still not doing too well. I'm starting to get over the shock of how it happened and now have to come to terms with the fact Brock is gone. I've only lost old pets before and they have been really old. I got to give them lovely, pain free farewells.

Even though I have 2 other dogs the house feels very quiet. And Brock was the quietest, least demanding of the dogs. But right now he would have trotted around to the outside of the room I am in and would be licking the window. I guess I've also gone from 4 to 2 dogs in the space of a year though.

The girls are getting spoilt rotten. They now sleep in every night and think that is pretty good. I can also take them out more as before I used to rotate them.

I'm so sorry for your loss GayleK... 4 is too young... *sigh*

It may help to know that Benson has some exceptional company for his wait at the Bridge for you and his "dad" - so many wonderful dogs that have touched their humans hearts in a way only a dog can...

Run free and healthy Benson...

(I think I have something in my eye - gotta go and do something about that... *choke*)

T.