White Swiss Shepherd Dog

Troy

The White Swiss Shepherd Dog

ANKC Standard

(from http://www.ankc.org.au/home/breeds_details.asp?bid=225 )

Group: Group 5 (Working Dogs)

History: In the U.S.A. and Canada white shepherd dogs have gradually become accepted as a distinct breed.

The first dogs of this breed were imported into Switzerland in the early 70s. The American male “Lobo”, whelped on 5th March, 1966, can be considered as the progenitor of the breed in Switzerland. The descendants of that male registered with the Swiss Stud Book (LOS) and other white shepherd dogs imported from the U.S.A. and Canada, gradually multiplied. There exists now a big number of white shepherd dogs, pure bred, over several generations, distributed throughout Europe. For that reason, since June 1991, these dogs have been registered as anew breed with the appendix of the Swiss Stud Book (LOS).

General Appearance: A powerful, well-muscled, medium-sized, white shepherd dog with erect ears, double coat or long double coat; elongated shape; medium sized bone an elegant, harmonious outline.

Important proportions:

• Moderately long rectangular shape; body length ( from the point of shoulder to point of buttock) to height at withers = 12:10.
  • The distance from the stop to the nose leather slightly beyond the distance from the stop to the occipital protuberance.

Temperament: Lively, without nervousness, attentive and watchful; towards strangers slightly aloof but never apprehensive or aggressive.

Head And Skull: Strong, dry and finely chiselled, in good proportion to the body. Seen from above and from the side wedge-shaped. Axis of the skull and foreface parallel.

The skull is only slightly rounded with an indicated central furrow.

The stop is slightly marked, but clearly perceptible.

The nose is medium sized, black pigmentation desired; snow nose and lighter nose acceptable.

The muzzle is powerful and moderately long in relation to the skull; nasal bridge and lower of muzzle straight, slightly convergent to the nose.

The lips are dry, closing tightly and as black as possible.

Eyes: Medium sized, almond shaped, placed obliquely; colour brown to dark brown; eyelids well fitting with black eye-rims desirable.

Ears: Erect ears, set high, carried upright, parallel and directed forward; in the shape of an oblong, at the tip a slightly rounded triangle.

Mouth: Powerful and complete with a scissor bite. The teeth should be set square to the jaw.

Neck: Medium long and well muscled, with harmonious set on at the body, without dewlap; the elegantly arched neckline runs without disruption from the moderately high carried head to the withers.

Forequarters: Straight when seen from the front; only moderately broad stance and seen in profile, well angulated.

The shoulder blade is long and well laid back; well angulated; the whole shoulder strongly muscled. The upper arm is adequately long with strong muscles. The elbows are close fitting. The forearm is long, straight and sinewy. The pastern is firm and only slightly oblique.

Body: The body is strong, muscular and medium long. The withers are pronounced and the back level and firm. The loins are strongly muscled. The croup is long and of medium breadth; from the set on gently sloping to the root of the tail.

The chest is not too broad; deep (about 50% of the height at the withers); reaching to the elbows. The ribcage is oval, well extending to the rear and the forechest is prominent. The flanks are slender and firm with the underline moderately tucked up.

Skin: Without folds or wrinkles with dark pigmentation.

Hindquarters: Seen from the rear straight and parallel; standing not too wide; seen from the side with adequate angulation. The upper thigh is medium-long and strongly muscled. The lower thigh is medium-long, oblique, with solid bone and well muscled. The hock joint of the rear pastern is powerful and well angulated. The rear pastern is medium-long, straight and sinewy. The dewclaws should be removed.

Feet: Oval, hind feet a little longer than forefeet, the toes tight and well arched with firm black pads. Dark nails are desired.

Tail: Bushy sabre tail, tapering to the tip: set on rather deep; reaching at least to the hock joint; at rest, it hangs either straight down or with a slightly sabre-like curve in its last third part. In movement it is carried higher, but never above the topline.

Gait/Movement: Rhythmical sequence of steps with even drive and enduring; front legs reaching out far, with strong thrust. The trot is ground covering and easy.

Coat: The coat is of medium length, dense, close-lying double coat or long double coat with abundant undercoat covered with hard, straight protection hair. The face, ears and front of the legs are covered with shorter hair. At the neck and the back of the legs the coat is slightly longer. Slightly wavy, hard hair is permitted.

Colour: White

Sizes:

Height at withers

Dogs 60-66 cm

Bitches 55-61 cm

Weight

Dogs 30-40 kg

Bitches 25-35 kg

Typical dogs with slight under or oversize should not be eliminated.

Faults:

Any departure from the foregoing points should be considered a fault and the seriousness with which the fault should be regarded should be in exact proportion to its degree and its effect upon the health and welfare of the dog.

Minor faults:

- Slight deer colour (light yellow or fawny shading) on ear tips, back and upper side of the tail.

- Partial loss of pigment or flecked appearance on the nose leather, lips and/or eye rims.

Serious Faults:

- Heavy appearance, too short in build (square outline)

- Masculinity or femininity not clearly defined

- Missing more than two PM1; the M3 are not taken into account.

- Drop (hanging) ears, semi-pricked ears, button ears.

- Strongly sloping topline

- Ringtail, kinky tail, hook tail, tail carried over the back.

- Soft, silky topcoat; woolly, curly, open coat; distinctly long hair without undercoat.

- Distinct deer colour (distinct yellowish or tawny discolouring) on eartips, back and upperside of the tail.

Eliminating Faults:

- Overly shy or aggressive.

- One eye or both eyes blue.

- Protruding eyes

- Entropion, ectropion.

- Over or undershot mouth

- Wry mouth

- Total loss of pigment on nose, lips and/or eye rims.

- Total loss of pigment in the skin and on the pads

- Albinism

Notes: Male animals should have two apparently normal testicles fully descended into the scrotum

QUESTIONS

1. What is my relationship with the breed? (ie breeder, first time owner etc)

2. Where and why was the breed first developed?

3. How common is it in Australia?

4. What is the average lifespan?

5. What is the general temperament/personality?

6. How much daily exercise is needed for the average adult?

7. Is it a breed that a first time dog owner could easily cope with?

8. Can solo dogs of this breed easily occupy themselves for long periods?

9. How much grooming is required?

10. Is it too boisterous for very small children or for infirm people (unless the dog is well trained)?

11. Are there any common hereditary problems a puppy buyer should be aware of?

12. When buying a puppy, what are the things you should ask of the breeder? (eg what health tests have been done (if applicable) and what is an acceptable result to those tests so the buyer has an idea of what the result should be)

If you wish to contribute to the knowledge about this breed, please answer the above questions. (Copy and paste them into a new post).

• Please only answer if you breed or own a pedigree example of this breed.
  • You do not have to answer all questions
  • Please keep posts limited to answering questions or for asking further questions if you require more (or expanded) information.

In addition to these questions - I was hoping people would list their dogs/ and or bloodlines they have successfully imported and Reg'd so we can all keep track of bloodlines already in the country. This may aid to keep variance in the lines as more and more people bring dogs over.

• 1 month later...

The ANKC representative club for the White Swiss Shepherd Dog in Victoria:

WSSDAV%20Banner1.jpg.opt526x153o0,0s526x153.jpg

www.wssdavic.com

[email protected]

The club will have it's first official outing at the 'Big Day Out for Dogs 2011' with several White Swiss Shepherd Dogs on display, so please come along and say hello!

More info on the BDO 2011 here: http://www.dogsvictoria.org.au/Portals/0/assets/activities/bigdayout/Big-Day-Out-2011.pdf

• 6 months later...

Could Somebody please explain on here for me and others, why some WSSDs can be shown and why some can not. Maybe Fanuilos or Saffioraire? I know it has something to do with bloodlines. Speak to me like an idiot because i've had it explained to me before by a friend with a handsome WSSd and I still havent grasped it! :laugh:

Are those who are importing the breed, collaborating with each other to import lines that will not be too close to each other?

• 2 months later...

Will try to make it as simple as possible.

All White Swiss Shepherd Dogs in Australia are eligible to be shown. A White Swiss Shepherd Dog is a dog who has been imported from Europe or South Africa with an FCI White Swiss Shepherd Dog Pedigree. The only time this is not true is where an imported WSSD is not registered with the ANKC. Then it just becomes a matter like every other breed, so long as it has been registered on the main register it can be shown.

Where the confusion lies is with incorrect branding. All White Shepherd Dogs bred from Australian bloodlines in Australia are not White Swiss Shepherd Dogs, they are White German Shepherd Dogs. A German Shepherd and a Swiss Shepherd are two different and distinctive breeds. YES the White Swiss Shepherd Dog is supposed to have descended entirely from the German Shepherd breed HOWEVER over many decades they have been selected for different criteria (no, not just colour) and hence this has created a different dog. If you read the two breed standards this will become apparent, especially in regards to temperament.

The White Shepherd Dogs bred in Australia from Australian bloodlines have NOT been selected for the same criteria over time, and hence have not evolved into the new breed of White Swiss Shepherd Dog, but have remained true to the original breed of the German Shepherd Dog. At some point in time someone in Australia with White German Shepherds has decided to start calling their dogs White Swiss Shepherds - this does not automatically make them a White Swiss Shepherd Dog! Call an Am Staff a Pit Bull at a show and see whats it's owner says! Likewise you can call a Poodle x Labradore a Labradoodle but this does not automatically make them an instant new breed of dog - at the end of the day they are still a cross bred dog. The only difference here is that an Australian White German Shepherd still breeds true - only they breed true to the German Shepherd Dog not the White Swiss Shepherd Dog. The only way Australian breeders have been able to get their dogs to start moving towards the European White Swiss Shepherd Dog is to introduce imported bloodlines, but essentially these have just become cross bred dogs as they do not necessarily breed true to either breed.

I am sure I will have my head bitten off for my comments, but this is the long and the short of it. Perhaps if the Australian White Shepherd Dog breeders were to propose some sort of integration register it may be considerable, but even then the mixing of these lines into existing lines do not necessarily produce litters of dogs who breed true to the parent breed, and now the FCI have accepted the White Swiss Shepherd Dog as a fully recognised breed (no longer on the probationary register) which essentially means all stud books are closing and the possibility for integration of new blood is growing slimmer by the day.

Does that help?

Edited by Saffioraire

What a shamozzle! :eek: I am confused as to why the ANKC can't allow registration and breeding of white German shepherds, I'm beginning to understand why people are moving away from the canine registries. If the ANKC had allowed the breeding of white german shepherds would anyone have bothered importing WSS irrespective of the differences in characteristics that you mention?

So essentially what you are saying is that because they both have a similar coat colour, and probably descended from the same breed (which even then is compromised as the WSSD came about at a time that there was an extended importing ban on GSD's) that we should chuck 'em all in together to save confusion for those not in the breed?!

Don't forget that every dog breed has been imported into Australia at some point. So do you say to the Parson Russel people, why bother?! I mean we already had Fox Terriers. Do we really need Cardigan and Pembroke Corgi's? Or 3 different types of Belgians? Or American and 'Regular' Cocker Spaniels? Etc etc. Hence why we also have registries, because what would happen if people were left to be a law unto their own? We end up with a billion different type of Oodles!

The subtle differences you see without studying the Standard and meeting the dogs, are actually translated into rather more significant differences when you do.

Not at all, I'm asking the question as to whether people would have gone to the effort of importing what is essentially a rare breed (WSS) if the ANKC hadn't had such rigid rules regarding white german shepherds. I certainly don't dispute the fact that they are different and have been so for some time, but if you like the white shepherd type but also wanted to show then you are limited to importing a dog instead of having the choice of a locally bred dog from local lines.

My apologies for misunderstanding. I can only answer that personally but my answer is a resounding yes.

While it is difficult and expensive having a rare breed with the limitations we have, I think the unique qualities of the White Swiss Shepherd Dog make them worth every bit. I can honestly say that regardless of what happens in the future my home will never be without one of these dogs. Ironically enough I had chosen to import a WSSD while still involved with my German Shepherds. I am not interested in owning another German Shepherd of any colour - while I admire them around the ring, the joy I get from owning a WSSD surpasses the joy I got from owning a GSD. But again that is me, and other households and breeders are different.

Not sure where in QLD you are but we will be at the EKKA this year if you want to come and say hi and meet the dogs hopefully there will be a few there! The WSSD's are on the Wednesday 15th August. smile.gif

I'm up the range so we don't get the public holiday for the Ekka but it would be great to see them :) If you get any pics please post them!

While the differences between WSS and white GSDs are a bit of a much of muchness for me (let's face it I'll just be happy if my next dog is easier than a sibe lol) it's great that you are passionate enough about them to go to the effort and expense of importing and promoting them here :thumbsup:

While the differences between WSS and white GSDs are a bit of a much of muchness for me (let's face it I'll just be happy if my next dog is easier than a sibe lol)

Sorry for butting in here, but I'm curious - what's the difference in temperament between a WSS and a white GSD??

Excerpts from the breed standards:

GERMAN: "The German Shepherd Dog must be of well balanced temperament, steady of nerves, self assured, absolutely `at ease (except when provoked) and good natured as well as attentive and easy to train. He must possess instinctive drive, resilience and self confidence in order to be suitable as a companion, watch dog, protection, service and herding dog."

WHITE SWISS: "Lively, without nervousness, attentive and watchful; towards strangers slightly aloof but never apprehensive or aggressive."

The German Standard is a bit more descriptive but you get the general idea.

Edited by Saffioraire

• 3 months later...

GERMAN: "The German Shepherd Dog must be of well balanced temperament, steady of nerves, self assured, absolutely `at ease (except when provoked) and good natured as well as attentive and easy to train. He must possess instinctive drive, resilience and self confidence in order to be suitable as a companion, watch dog, protection, service and herding dog."

WHITE SWISS: "Lively, without nervousness, attentive and watchful; towards strangers slightly aloof but never apprehensive or aggressive."

Does that mean the WSS is not a family guardian or watch dog?

Does that mean the WSS is not a family guardian or watch dog?

I'm going to try my best with this - but others may have differing opinions.

I would say in answer to your question, that yes they can be both of these things - it is, however, how the individual expects a 'family guardian' or 'watch dog' to perform.

They are still supposed to be slightly aloof (defined as: not friendly or forthcoming, conspicuously indifferent, distant) however not agressive in their manner. So, for example, my dogs will bark at strangers who come onto our property, they will run to us and let us know people are here, they may even in some cases follow them from their car to our door and let out barks. They don't ever bail people up, bare teeth, show agression in the manner of threatening violence.

Family Guardian - it would depend how you define a guardian. On a quick look up I cannot see any definition that directly implies violence where necessary - however I would imagine a 'protector' would use force and/ or violence when necessary. A story I like to tell is me at home asleep on my couch with the dogs resting next to me on the floor. My husband and his friend 'Bruce' were home ('Bruce' was known to my dogs) when 'Bruce' saw me asleep he thought it would be funny to tickle my feet, so he started to walk towards me and the dogs sat up. He thought 'they know me' so ignored them and when he got closer to touch me they both growled at him. I have no idea what they would have done should he have chosen to keep going, but he immediately backed off and they stopped growling, and once he walked away they laid down. The seriousness of their intent to protect increased as the threat increased but it also decreased when the threat reclined.

So maybe, maybe not - depending what your expectations of a Guardian is? I'd be interested in your opinion as someone who deals more so with 'Guardian' dogs.

A watch dog I would say yes - because my definition of a watch dog is a dog who 'keeps watch' and alerts you when there is a threat. I would (personally) expect a guardian to use force if necessary, I would not expect this (or want it) from a watch dog. But again that is my interpretation and expectations - if yours differ I would be more than open to that discussion. My dogs are alert - they are attentive and watchful - they bark when there is a perceived threat and they usually come to let me know by means of excited behavior coupled with a bark, a keen interest in one direction, intently muzzling my hand or body and walking off in one direction watching me as if they are asking me to follow. We live on property and they do this behavior for strange people and unusual wildlife activity (ie there is a new wombat hanging around which took them a few days to get used to and they still perk up when he comes into the house block over night). They do NOT bark at nothing, and if they are aroused by something I never ignore it.

I would say that they are not good Guard dogs. My definition of a Guard dog specifically as opposed to a Family Guardian is that a Family Guardian is also a family pet, (s)he is caring for a family and alerting for dangers that are not often serious threats - where as a Guard dog may be employed to protect a yard or a specific job and violence/ agression is expected. I suppose these definitions are also dependent on where you live, if you live in the Broncs and need them to be vicious then no a WSSD is not a good Family Guardian!

Secondary to all of this is that I often wonder (and personally I believe) that the standard in this respect may have been written to reflect the behavior typically shown by the breed in it's 'developmental' stage. I have spoken to people who breed & train working WSSD in Europe who disagree with me on this, and say that it all comes down to breeding for traits etc, however a well respected GSD man (breeder/ trainer) with a keen interest and observation for Genetics once said to me (and I still discuss it with him to this day) that over his years he has noticed an element of dogs of certain colours being more predisposed to certain behavior types. In short there is research to suggest that the hormones involved in the gene controlling the 'White' in the Shepherd also controls dopamine production. Less dopamine = less adrenalin / less drive / less agression? Perhaps. It would also perhaps explain why the temperament of the WSSD was written as it is, and to be so different to that of the GSD, when they were of course bred down (or at least it is believed they were bred down) primarily from the GSD. When you have a limited gene pool and selecting for health etc, it would be very difficult to also select only for one specific type of behavior if it did not already exist solidly in the dogs you were using (I am referring to the developmental stages here - not where we are now).

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you for the explanation Saf :)

Breed Standards are interesting, particularly modern versions. Sometimes it is clear the BS is written for an audience and not the dog. I do not know about WSS to think this is the case for WSS also, but it is the case for what FCI authors in Belgium write about Anatolian.

Your dogs are lovely and I hope WSS continue to thrive in Australia.

Yes thanks Saf

I remember in the 50's when a GSD actually looked like a white swiss as it is now used to produce the occasional white puppys.

I thought they were the most beautiful pups in the litter and always intended to get one when i grew up.

But sad to say the new u beaut spine curving like a downward banana, buts so low almost scraping their bum on the ground became the "in . must have" I just couldnt stand it so never got one.

now there is these who still love the old type AND the awesome white....win win

lucky some faught to save them

Edited by asal

Yes thanks Saf

I remember in the 50's when a GSD actually looked like a white swiss as it is now used to produce the occasional white puppys.

I thought they were the most beautiful pups in the litter and always intended to get one when i grew up.

But sad to say the new u beaut spine curving like a downward banana, buts so low almost scraping their bum on the ground became the "in . must have" I just couldnt stand it so never got one.

now there is these who still love the old type AND the awesome white....win win

lucky some faught to save them

Sorry WSS ppl :offtopic:

Oi we don't all breed the skinny roach backs! :) Whilst the majority who win the shows are like that there are many working and old style GSDs out there who work in law enforcement and farm work who still have the classic style you refer to, mine included. You just have to know where to look and who to talk to :)

• 1 month later...

It is my great pleasure to announce some exciting news regarding the Australian lined White Shepherd Dogs and the locally bred non-ANKC White Swiss Shepherd Dogs.

Last month, at the ANKC Conference in Melbourne, the ANKC have made a positive move to send the proposal of integration of the locally bred dogs into the ANKC to the members for a vote.

This motion was submitted to the ANKC in July 2011, by a group of people from both the ANKC and non-ANKC world of our breed. Voting on the motion was postponed to enable investigation by the Canine Health and Welfare committee. Since then, we have worked closely with members of that committee to ensure they had all the information available regarding the case for integration and the history of the breed in Australia and worldwide to enable them to make the most informed recommendation for the health, welfare and viability of the breed.

The ANKC Canine Health and Welfare committee recommended that the ANKC commence a program of integration. It appears this recommendation was ratified at the Annual ANKC conference last month.

The next step in the process will be a positive survey by the registered owners of ANKC White Swiss Shepherd Dogs. The ANKC have concluded that integration is of benefit to the breed in Australia. We hope that all owners would vote in agreement with the ANKC's position.

For further information, please contact myself or Neil Keen.

Edited by Fanuilos