Dogs And Car Safety

Brennan's Mum

Going back to the days before crates and harnesses and screens for station wagons.

The days when we didn't have seat belts and kids and dogs were piled in the back of station wagons, and every other car had a small dog on the drivers lap or back parcel shelf etc. etc. (yeah yeah last centuary) I was told by my obedience dog trainer that the safest place in a car for a dog is on the passenger side floor. This is something I often still apply today, especially in other peoples cars.

Rileys on the back seat in a harness which attaches to the seatbelt - gives him movement, but if we stop quick the seatbelt works like normal and he's safe.

I used to put him in the back (X Trail) but got worried if someone rear ended us he'd get crushed, so he's on the backseat now, which he prefers anyway.

Mine are both harnassed. Neither is crazy about the harnass but they let us put it on them. Elbie hated his harnass in the beginning and it was a real ordeal putting it on him but he's resigned and calm about wearing it now.

They can't guarantee no injury but at least it means they won't get flung about and they can't accidentally wander out the window - Elbie has been known to push the window down with his nose by accident if it's slightly open. We don't have room for two crates in our car.

what do people who have 3-4 dogs do if they're in a normal sedan not a stationwagon?

Mine are both harnassed. Neither is crazy about the harnass but they let us put it on them. Elbie hated his harnass in the beginning and it was a real ordeal putting it on him but he's resigned and calm about wearing it now.

They can't guarantee no injury but at least it means they won't get flung about and they can't accidentally wander out the window - Elbie has been known to push the window down with his nose by accident if it's slightly open. We don't have room for two crates in our car.

what do people who have 3-4 dogs do if they're in a normal sedan not a stationwagon?

Get a bigger car :rofl:

For the dogs of course lol

Edited by GoldenGirl85

Backseat in a harness. Which is the one he used as a puppy and is now rather snug - I keep forgetting to get a new one. If the backseat is needed then he goes in the front passenger footwell (assuming someone's there to sit in the front passenger seat), but that is quite rare.

Please, don't do that again... It's incrdibly dangerous, worse than them not having a harness on (which I'm guilty of at times). If you had an accident while he was down there, it could be the end of him.. Only reason I say this is we had an accident in our ute, and that night our boy was meant to be in the footwell in the car when we went out. For some reason we left him behind, and if we hadn't he wouldn't be with us anymore. So it sticks in my mind every time I hear of someone doing this. It never occured to me how dangerous it was until that night. The first thing I said once everything settled down was that I was so glad he wasn't there.

If i had 4 dogs and a sedan I'd buy a new car :laugh: As it is, we're buying a new car on the weekend.. My wagon is dying so i'm getting a new one so we have 'more room for the dogs' yet the boys are always harnessed on the back seat :rofl: They are clipped in by the seatbelt using the loop on the harness but that annoys me, so I'm going to buy the seatbelt clip thingys next week.

My babies have harnesses that lock into the seatbelt clips. I had an accident where someone ran into the back of my car and they were just fine thankfully.

Not only is having an unrestrained/unharnessed dog very dangerous for them, but it can also be very dangerous for the people in the car as they can act as a projectile. Better to be safe than sorry!

I wouldnt drive without my seatbelt on

and I wouldn't do that to my precious babies either.

Good on everyone that does the right thing!

When i had my Kia Sportage (heap of crap) it was very easy, Roxy had a large canvas collapsible crate that fit into the back and would stay there. Now i have a Commodore sedan, if the cars not full she'll either sit on the front or back seat, depending if i have a front seat passenger, but if i havea full car she goes on the front passenger floor mostly :o, oh she's usually half on the floor and half on a lap though :laugh: i know it can be dangerous, but it is the most comfortable spot for her and the kids in a full car, and i'm currently not in a position to upgrade the car at the mo'. Just want to add she doesn't travel in the car often (i know it is still risky), mainly only if we are going away for the weekend and taking her with us.

Very sorry to read about your friend :( Sounds like hes had a very tough time, and i hope things start looking up for him :)

Just wanted to add, if we all go away, OH me and the dogs, the back of the wagon is full of stuff, then all 4 dogs fit in the back seat with their seat belt clips on, 3 clipped to the seat belt holders and one clipped to the cargo barrier. I also pack stuff behind the front seats so it makes the back seat extra wide so they have more room to stretch out.

If I go away on my own, I have been guilty of having one in the front with me usually Cooper but he still has a seat belt strap on. And the other 3 in the back seat.

Also what are DOLers thoughts on locking the back seat doors (with child lock perhaps) as an extra preventative method to keep the dog/s safe?

I'm sorry, I know its a serious topic, but this made me giggle. I have a vision of a dog frantically trying to open the car door with its paws! :laugh:

Seriously though, why would you need to? :confused:

(mind you we have automatic central locking so its not really an issue for me.)

And to answer the main question, my GR goes in the hatch in the back of my SUV. She lies down and waits for release...

I always lock doors when inside the car for two main reasons, both safety.

1. to avoid car jacking of any sort - if it's already locked when you get to a set of lights, you're not having to scramble for it when it does come down to an emergency.

2. if you do get into a bad accident, there is less chance that the doors will fling open, say if your car is rolling. People worry that they wont be able to unlock the car to get out, but you're better off safe and able to try get yourself out, than having doors flung open (and possibly flung out) whilst being in the accident!!

My girl is in a harness, but because they're not the best proven safety in an accident, I keep the door lock in case of an accident, I wouldnt want her flung out.

ps. thanks for the mental image of the paw scrabbling at the door handle though.. hehe

Has anyone tried the Walkyguard style barriers? (http://www.ozpetshop.com.au/product_info.php/products_id/1964) We are planning to get a different car later in the year, so I like that is is adjustable to different vehicles, but does anyone have any reviews? Our current car isn't a crate-friendly shape.

Just remember that these styles will stop your dog climbing through but are not a safety barrier and are next to useless in an accident.

We've just sold our Jeep. Kyojin used to either go in the backseat with his seatbelt or harness (seatbelted) on, or in the cargo area. As long as it's closed properly, you cannot open the boot while the keys are in the ignition, let alone turned on. For now we have a sedan and a hatchback. He goes in the hatch as we don't want him on the seats of a brand new car, so he gets harnessed in the hatch instead. When we replace the hatch next year we'll be buying another 4WD, so he'll go back in the cargo area. I also only have the windows down enough so that he can have a good sniff, but can't try and climb out. Realistically though, he'd never be able to jump out anyway.

Has anyone tried the Walkyguard style barriers? (http://www.ozpetshop.com.au/product_info.php/products_id/1964) We are planning to get a different car later in the year, so I like that is is adjustable to different vehicles, but does anyone have any reviews? Our current car isn't a crate-friendly shape.

Just remember that these styles will stop your dog climbing through but are not a safety barrier and are next to useless in an accident.

I agree - absolutely useless in an accident. I'd go as far as to say absolutely useless full stop, my dogs knocked it down easily and could push the ends in to climb past.

My pooch is in the backseat in a harness, I clip him into the anchor point rather then a seat belt though. I also lock my back doors when driving him as I have had him open the back door when trying to stick his head out the window, lucky for him I wasnt moving at the time.

I have the pup in her PP50 and the older dog in a harness. I am hoping to add a second PP50 at some stage and they can both ride in them. :)

OMG just saw Toby in your sig....what a stunning boy! Is he a red cloud kelpie?

My two dogs go in the back of my hatch back.

What tragedy for your friend with the dog that died, and all else that has happened in his life recently. Poor guy, I hope he has great friends to help him through it all.

Edited by Sky

Years ago I had a semi-luxury sedan but after taking a friend to a dog show some distance away I went out the following week and bought a Ford Ecovan and have had vans since. The experience of having 1 Gordon Setter, 2 Border Terriers and 5 Miniature Pinschers, Borders and Mins crated, in the back seat was not so good lol. I take the rear seat out of the van, heaps of room for lots of dog crates and also a bed for me. Must admit I never lock doors as the time one van burst into flame I'd never have had time to get the dogs out. Love the crates as in the fire incident I was able to just haul the crates out with the dogs in and put them on the side without having to worry about unclipping harnesses and the finding somewhere to tether the dogs. The dogs were all I managed to get out, lost everything else, even my smokes and, boy, did I need a ciggie!