Got An Rspca Question

Jsk

What is the RSPCA's ideas/ rules/ laws etc on crating dogs?

I was broken into about a month ago and because there was glass all over the place, I put the dogs away in there night crates.

1 of the police officers was more interested in the fact that the dogs were in crates and and that there was shit and kitty litter all over the floor. (Who ever broke in trashed the place tipped the kitty litter tray out spread packets of flour sugar and other stuff all over the kitchen) the police officer put a complaint in with DOCS (who when they seen the pics and then seen my house said there wasnt a problem and they should never have been involved) and also RSPCA.

Even though it was a month ago, I get home today and find a card in the mail box from the RSPCA.

Basically the only thing they can complain about is at night and when I'm not home the dogs are crated they arent small crates there is plenty of room for them to move around in etc.

Can they have a go at me over that?

Well thats the things anyone that knows me personally knows that my dogs are my babies.

The joke amongst non doggy friends is that I will happily feed myself and my kids no name foods and crappy cheap stuff but my dogs never get anything but top quality dog food.

I would imagine they won't have a problem with crates (here in Vic they wouldn't as some of their trainers certainly recommend crate training), they will have left a card because the police reported it and so they have to follow it up. If anything after speaking to them (and I'm assuming you'll have no problems, because you really shouldn't have any!!) I'd be having a chat with the police who reported it (well whoever is in charge of complaints there!) about what was really going on. I'm sure the RSPCA will be equally annoyed their time has been wasted following up something that probably could have been cleared up with a quick conversation between you and the police at the time!!

I had a similar complaint made and the RSPCA Inspector turned up, looked, laughed and left.

It was a rainy, horrific day and it was forecast to be that way for the entire day so put the dogs in their crates when I left for work. The electricity people turned up to do a meter reading that day and I can only assume that they made the complaint - good on them to be perfectly honest.

The day the RSPCA Inspector came out the dogs were all outside because it was sunny - I explained that the only times the dogs were crates was when they were sick, overnight or if it was pissing down. His exact words were "beats ruining your house, you have nothing to worry about". Made me feel sick though when my daughter rang me to tell me he was there and to ask if she should let him in - I kept thinking of those horror stories we hear. I felt sick for weeks.

So the police officer would prefer you to have left your dogs to run around over broken glass and eat god knows what would he??? Bloody stupid, was he thinking they were always in there? And why the complaint to DOCS you were broken into I am quite sure you don't have flour sugar and kitty litter spread around your house normally???

Sounds rather odd to me, why would they report you for the state of your house when you just reported a break in????? I would be really pissed off.

I'm sure you'll be fine.

Because the police were the notifiers Child Safety and the RSPCA do have to investigate (as they should all reports) but again because the police are mandatory reporters they can sometimes "over step the mark" rather than miss something they should have reported.

Obviously the police officer didn't understand the use of crates whereas RSPCA officer should.

I would also think that because there has been such a long gap between when the notification would have been made and you have been contacted neither organisations saw the report as urgent.

The police officer that reported it was a woman.

The lady from DOCS was lovely and she was the one that told me that a complaint was also made to the RSPCA.

I didnt think they would actually come out, when I hadnt heard anything after a couple of weeks. Its now been a month since the report was lodged with the RSPCA.

Funny thing was that reports were lodged with DOCS and the RSPCA the same day as the break in! Even before the attending officers even put in the request for forensics to come and finger print that didnt happen until the next day!!

My dogs are my babies and they are in no way neglected or mistreated.

They are usually loose in the house with me, as the neighbours dog has been getting into our yard lately and I dont want my babies getting attacked. The neighbours dog is NEVER in its own yard.

I have one crated at night because she destroys the house and barks otherwise, she loves her crate once she is in, settles down don't hear a peep out of her until I let her out the next morning.

So the police officer is basically saying that it's better for her and safer for her to wander around the house and eat and destroys goodness knows what! and I don't get any sleep as she would bark as well! What The :eek:

I'm sorry you had to go through this Josuki :mad

http://www.humanesociety.org/animals/dogs/tips/crate_training.html

"Private room with a view. Ideal for traveling dogs or for those who just want a secure, quiet place to hang out at home."

That's how your dog might describe his crate. It's his own personal den where he can find comfort and solitude while you know he's safe and secure—and not shredding your house while you're out running errands.

RSPCA

There's no one article. There's a little bit about crates for travel and for destructive dogs.

There's a mention of crate needing to be big enough for dog to stand up, turn around and lie down.

And there's a meniton about making sure that a dog has enough time for adequate exercise. Ie not crated continously forever.

And there's a mention about training a dog to be comfortable in a crate.

Each mention is on a different web page.

I've had a complaint made against me , RSPCA rocked up, laughed at the dogs laying around on the lounge, kennels were clean, water bowls clean and dogs with rugs on as it was winter.

What they did take exception to was my crates and said they could only be in there for an hour. They didn't push the issue any further. Sure I lock them up sometimes when I go out and some of them sleep in there at night, but given the choice, most of them will put themselves to bed if the doors are open. They are very happy sleeping in there and they know which one is theirs.

MAN! I would be pissed!! I suggest crate training to all my new pup people, and Id be lost without my crates! They all get loved, playtime, couchtime, etc etc, but at the end of the day, they know crate is bed and are happy in dens!!

Sorry that happened to you (break in and RSPCA etc :( )

It sounds like the Police Officer may have thought there was more to it. I mean, why report anything to DOCS as well...DOCS can't do anything about the dogs? Obviously you have children too. Surely the Police can tell the difference between what happened with the break-in and what they assumed was the normal living conditions.

Sorry, nothing makes sense with the story.

At any rate, if you are doing nothing worng then you have nothing to be concerned about. Be thankful that this kind of action taken by the officer my help save a child or animal from abuse.

Edited by ~Anne~

Thats the whole point Anne it DOESNT make sense!!

The only time they get locked up is at night or if I'm out, and half the time when I'm out they go with me.

The basenji's crate is a trolley (plenty of room)

and the Shetie is in a soft crate.

Both could have a party in theres crates they have plenty of room.

Both always have water available to them and biscuits.

They are usually loose in the house with me when I am home and we go for walks in the afternnon weather permitting.

The only reason that they are crated at night and when I'm not home is because the Basenji will destroy everything. I have learnt that the hard way!

I think some people genuinely don't understand the use of a crate and purely see it as "locking the dog in a cage".

Some people do abuse the use of crates also (imo), I know people that crate their dogs all day while they are away at work (8hrs +). However, although far from ideal in my opinion, even this can hardly be considered dog abuse or cruelty.

Ok so rang the number left and he has just rang me back.

The complaint was made about 2 very large crossbred dogs being kepy in very small crates :rolleyes: :confused:

I told him the only part that was correct ain that statement was that I have 2 dogs.

I told him that they are a Basenji and a Sheltie and then had to explain what each breed was as he didnt know.I also said that both are papered as they are show dogs

He seen the pens that were in the back yard and said that they were of an adequate size. I told him that they were only used when it is wet as then I can throw a tarp over them so they can still do there business outside.

I told him how they are cared for etc and he was more than happy with the crates and yard and said that he didnt need to come out.

So thankfully I paniced for nothing.

Its funny though he said there is nothing wrong here so I will go tend a case that does actually have animals needing my help cause yours definately dont.

So thankfully all is done and dusted and to the person who made the complaint :bottom:

I just read this. I'm shocked! I'm glad it worked out for you though. I had a similar thing once with the police. No complaints were made but I had the house broken into and the car stolen and the police kept making comments about the kids toys all over the house. Well, it was just toys. Easily packed up and put away, the house certainly wasn't dirty. It's clean mess lol. Toys were the least of my worries working and looking after 3 kids with my husband working away. People are so quick to judge sometimes.

Wonder if I would get in trouble, I crate the puppy if I mop the floors , vaccum etc lol

edited to say he's a real pain when he chases the broom. lol

Edited by loveretrievers