Retirement Breeds.

Blackdogs

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

we've decided that when our two go, we won't replace them..they are to us, irreplaceable....that should tie in (hopefully) with imminent retirement. My sister had always had dogs, loves dogs and moves on when her dogs do..but we see our two as very unique and beings we can't replace...

Frenchies are great for retirement, as I said in a previous post I am retired and would not be without them as they are so easily pleased, I could not imagine my life without at least a couple of them, they have been apart of my life for almost 30 years.

My biggest fear is that if something happens to a dog of mine, s/he will be too heavy for me to pick up to put in the car to take to the vet. Casper, at 35kg, is heading for paralysis and I know that one day, when he can't get up on his own, I will battle to support his weight. I am 41 now (and my back is already hurting!), I expect I'll be in my mid to late 50s when my next dog/s get old so I've decided the next breed will be a smallish/medium size dog. If I could find a Casper in a small package, then that's the breed I want. I guess I will be asking DOLers' opinions in the future. ;)

Probably a Whippet or a GAP Greyhound, love them. Easy to groom, not too energetic, lovely sweet souls.

Not a Manchester Terrier that's for sure, mine is way too hypo :rofl:

ETA I was also thinking JRT because I love them but I think they are too energetic too!

Edited by amypie

I've already got my retirement dogs. Tibetan spaniels. After having the working breeds, ACDs, BCs and shelties.

Tho' I'm tempted by GT's budgie. :)

And I love Teebs' choice of a pound staffy that no one else wants. :thumbsup:

We are no spring chickens but still have our boxer.One sadly passed a few weeks ago but we will purchase another when $ allow. We also have two rescues,a maltese and a papillon.All girls and get on together wonderfully. The papillon is a great lapdog but also can go outside and play with the big dogs as she has so much energy and can switch on and off.Also a wonderful watchdog and super with the grandchildren. Our maltese is the gentlest dog I have ever owned and is an absolute delight although a touch deaf and cataracts appearing (she is 8).

I couldnt imagine life without a boxer,suppose its what you are used to,and yes,getting a hefty lump off your recliner chair is sometimes near impossible but they are such part of our lives they will be here forever.I'm a bit challenged with a couple of spinal issues but the dogs do not cause any probs for me,they just look and ignore!!

Hmmmm, have thought about downsizing the Salukis to Whippets to Iggys in the distant future....

I recently lost my :heart: dog and have been thinking about how lucky she and I both were to have had each other's company for 17 years. I have been watching all the old souls going in and out of rescue over the past few weeks and think that when my 2 other oldies go, I might rescue/foster older dogs for a while.

And a GAP Grey - foster, of course - the more I can save, the better!!

Sonia

Edited by Hafhafa Hounds

Yea, I think if for some reason I couldn't still have Akitas, I'd probably go a Frenchie. I think they're adorable. I would hate to not be able to have a big dog still. I like that when I'm sitting at the computer in the study when Kyojin comes over we can have a massive hug without me moving anything more than my arms. Perfect for when I'm old and frail ;)