Is This True

twodoggies2001

I don't believe so ... maybe because entire males mark and they can leave a strong scent behind ... but other then that I don't believe males smell more then females.

Some dogs do have a stronger odour then others but I don't believe this is relaxed to their sex.

Edited by Tilly

It's not something I've noticed, but maybe she has a really good sense of smell or maybe her dogs do smell different but it's nothing to do with their sex, it might just be their individuality. I'm sure dogs themselves would recognise an individual by smell.

When Rowdy (horse) was alive although he smelt like a horse, he had a different odour to his mother. To anyone else they might just think horsey smell, but I could tell the difference between them.

In my case i have allergies and some dogs either sex smell really doggy and set of a reaction.Others i can tolerate.With Dobermans and Vizslas i notice a stonger smell with the males and not much with the females.Shnauzers i'm good with either sex,both have no real odour.So it may be true with ppl who are allergic to dogs or have an acute sense of smell.Intact males overall do smell more to me.

Never particularly noticed in my own dogs - but then I am used to their scent and probably don't notice. Also I have aussie shepherds and they seem to have less odour than lots of other breeds.

In the boarding kennels we dont have many entire males stay but when we do there does seem to be a definite odour.

Not sure if this is because they have a stronger odour or because they are more inclined to lift there leg and pee everywhere even against the inside walls, whereas most dogs seem to be happy to move to the outside sand area to toilet.

There are some breeds that do seem to have more odour than others and one in particular is the female dingo (I've had a few stay with me and these were dna tested dingo's) owners told me that they are usually in season in Autumn and they have a real musty smell. We definately noticed.

neither of mine smell, entire male or female.

It is more likely to be a skin issue or maybe what they are being fed, even one may have more or less undercoat than the other

The whippet we had many years ago, had no odour at all, that is one of the reasons why we got a whippet. My BC's smell when they are wet, but I can't smell them when they are normal (dry) unless they have been rolling in a dead goanna or something :eek: