A Frightening Experience

tlc

I had a terrible and most frightening experience today with my white girl Tully, OH and I (thank goodness he was with me, I mostly walk the dogs on my own) took the dogs for a run and Tully was chasing the ball, she loves the ball and is a very athletic little dog, runs like the wind and can jump with ease. All the dogs were running and playing and I threw the ball for Tully and watched her run off after it and turned to go in the other direction and then I heard this awful howl/scream, I turned around to see Tully laying on her back all 4 legs in the air and her head looked like it was on back the front.

I took off towards her running it only took about 15 seconds for me to get to her and she looked like she was paralized, She screamed till I got to her then she stopped. She had lost control of her baldder and there was wee everywhere. I thought for sure she had broken her back or neck especially with the strange angle her neck was on. She just looked like she couldn't move, her legs were stiff and so was her head and still on an awkward angle. She was trying to move and then tried to get up, I just held one hand on her to try to keep her still.

I grabbed my phone and rang the vet clinic right away and organized the vet to meet me at the clinic. OH put the other 3 back on thier leads and I picked her up, she had tried to get up but I didn't want her to do any more damage.

We went straight to the vet clinic (about 7 mins drive from where we were) and she was panting furiously but stood up (I had her on my lap) I held her close incase she had any major damage as I didn't want her to move around incase she did more harm to herself. When I got her out at the vets she was tentative but the vet said put her on the ground and she stood on her own fine, she had a little walk. I explained what had happened to him I put her on the exam table and he gave her good going over to find nothing, no broken bones, no damage that he could see what so ever. I popped her on the ground and he was watching her walk and I told her not to jump up and he said no let her so I can see if she is tentative, so she promply jumed into my arms! I couldn't believe it. He gave her a shot of AI and said just keep an eye on her and he thinks it may have been some soft of soft tissue injury and she had more than likely fell the wrong way after jumping for the ball. It seemed to be the only explaination.

I am thinking she may have jumped up for the ball (kicking myself because I took a very bouncy ball and usually I only take a regular tennis ball) and as she has come down she has landed wrong and temporarily paralized herself, perhaps a nerve or something I really don't know, and I wasn't watching her so I didn't see how she landed.

I just can't get the image of her just lying there and the screaming out of my head. I honestly thought she had broke her back in two. :cry: And then at the vets to be like nothing had happened, I think someone was watching over her today and she really dodged a bullet.

All up it was probly about just under a minute that she was in the paralized state, has anyone else had this happen to thier dog and if so what caused it?

So glad my girl is ok, she is laying her next to me on the bed fast asleep with the rest of the gang.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One of our Kelpies once tried to jump into the car when the window was closed. he had what sounded like a very similar episode. Our vet told us that is was due to a neck injury, from hitting the window. He often had neck pain after that (obvious pain and crying)

Fred also screamed and was unable to move, It did settle and he had anti-inflammatory meds and acupuncture.

I think you might be right, that something was "put out" during tring to catch the ball. Hope Tully feels better soon

Thanks, Shes seems to be fine now, perhaps a little tentative but she is tired after her run, she didn't wince once when the vet was examining her and he wasn't gentle. She has had her tea now and all seems good touch wood!

Oh me too, and it was just dreadful, I was all good till I got home then I started to cry it just hit me that thank god she is ok but what could have happened. What a sook I am. :laugh: We've been through a lot in the last few months and I thought all the bad stuff was behind us!

Thanks Guys, it helps to talk to other like minded dog people.

Andisa, we don't have a myotherapist but we do have a doggy chiro in the area,

I am just so amazed that she is sitting her like nothing has happened. It even scared the wits out of my OH and he doesn't scare easily. He is saying that she is never to have a ball ever again, and not to take them on the concrete to run. I think that might be a bit of an over reaction but at the moment I feel the same!

Scary TLC!!!

Keep an eye on her, I went through a similar but different experience with Piper. Her was a hind leg injury but I thought she had broken her back initially too. Took her to the after hours vet and she brightened up on the way therem started wagging her tail which had been hanging limp and was happy to walk once we got there. Vet did a full exam and could not find anything specific. Same as you, she had a shot of anti inflams.

Once we got home and she had been quiet for a day or so, she was still clearly in pain when she moved and could not get up on the lounge or bed. Ended up taking her to my own vet a couple of days after the incident. He diagnosed ligament damage and said it would be about 3 months before she was right but I would always have to be careful and mindful of it. He was right - it was 3 months before she was able to get on the bed or the lounge and 4 years later I am still mindful of things or else she will pull up sore but it is easily managed - we stopped doing agility as repetitive jumping is out and changed how I threw toys (same as you - it happened retrieving a toy, she seemed to twist oddly and then land funny). She still does herding and everything else we have always done and 95% time she is perfectly fine.

So glad Piper came good. The wierd thing is now Tully is not displaying any signs of anything even happening, nothing at all. Not a limp not a whimper, she is even laying in her froggy planking position as we speak! The vet said keep her away from the other dogs, which I haven't worried about as they have all been just lazing around since we got home.

My thoughts were she landed on her front shoulder/neck, one of her eyes is really blood shot too which I guess would indicate her face planting into the ground. I had to give her a bath as she was covered in wee, so after being dryed with the hairdryer she is now covered up with one of her dog coats to keep her warm.

Big hugs for you, Tlc. I had similar happen here a few years ago and I know how scary it is. Same senario where I was kicking myself for accidentally bouncing the ball too high. By the time we got to the vet he was fine and have not had any on going problems.

Maybe take her out to see a chiro just to double check that she's all good TLC? Zero did himself an injury but looked like he was recovered but he kept pulling up sore after exercise in a different area (injury was to his bac leg, but he limped on his front eg) - turned out it was referred pain which the chiro treated and fixed.

If I recall Piper was ok for a period of time after the initial vet visit but then gradually went back to sore (as anti inflams wore off I guess). Hopefully it is nott he same for your girl though and it just remains one of those freak things that cant be explained but she is fine after.

I agree with the chiro though - worth getting it looked at just in case. I did that with Piper too but gave the soft tissue injury time to settle first and she was out but then she could have been out anyway from agility or herding or just being a fool.

So many kind thoughts for us, thanks everyone. I have a vet appointment Wednesday for Tully to be vaccinated and due for her path testing for Delta so I will get the vet to give her another good going over. Fingers crossed it was just a freak thing. I just can't get the image of her just laying there howling in that horrible twisted up state, very scary and upsetting.