Wary Of A Particular Breed... Anyone Else...?

WillowGirl

Erny, it's quite clear what they are after, the policing of "restricted breeds", absolutely nothing indicates they are looking at adding breeds to the list. ... the ANKC breeds have nothing to worry about for what my opinion is worth.

Don't count on your opinion, Zuri. And life with dogs is not all about ANKC recognised breeds. Actually, come to think of it, nor is it all about ANKC.

I'm actually for all dogs. Not selective breeds.

ETA: Hey, SG ... thanks for the prompt to change Victoria's description in my profile. "Dismal" is an understatement. But yes .... it is depressing, that's for sure.

ETA: Oh, and BTW, Zuri - out of curiousity, what State do you reside in?

Edited by Erny

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Erny, it's quite clear what they are after, the policing of "restricted breeds", absolutely nothing indicates they are looking at adding breeds to the list. ... the ANKC breeds have nothing to worry about for what my opinion is worth.

Don't count on your opinion, Zuri. And life with dogs is not all about ANKC recognised breeds. Actually, come to think of it, nor is it all about ANKC.

ETA: Hey, SG ... thanks for the prompt to change Victoria's description in my profile. "Dismal" is an understatement. But yes .... it is depressing, that's for sure.

Erny, what I am trying to say is that the only thing new about the situation is they have extended the target to Pitbull cross breeds which doesn't mean next week they will be after Rottweilers, GSD's or any other large breed and I don't think we should be scaring people to believe this could happen anytime soon. The target remains on Pitbull's, cross breeds with Pitbull blood is not a step closer to restricting anything other than dogs of Pitbull connection, it has nothing to do with other breeds so why the panic?

What I object to, is the "your breed will be next" agenda on the basis they have tightened up on restricted breeds and extened the target to crossbreeds of which is basically the tightening or policing of the laws already in place. When they start tabling legislation to add breeds to the list or restrict recognised breeds, then we panic, but until then, it's just my opinion that we need to relax and deal with that situation if it ever arises?

Edited by zuri

Erny, what I am trying to say is that the only thing new about the situation is they have extended the target to Pitbull cross breeds which doesn't mean next week they will be after Rottweilers, GSD's or any other large breed and I don't think we should be scaring people to believe this could happen anytime soon. The target remains on Pitbull's, cross breeds with Pitbull blood is not a step closer to restricting anything other than dogs of Pitbull connection, it has nothing to do with other breeds so why the panic?

What I object to, is the "your breed will be next" agenda on the basis they have tightened up on restricted breeds and extened the target to crossbreeds of which is basically the tightening or policing of the laws already in place. When they start tabling legislation to add breeds to the list or restrict recognised breeds, then we panic, but until then, it's just my opinion that we need to relax and deal with that situation if it ever arises?

BSL of any sort is a step closer to trouble for us all IMO, having already experienced restriction on one of my breeds the GSD in the past I never want to go there again, however these latest knee jerk reactions will not stop incidents happening. It is not about banning breeds it is about enforcing the laws we already HAD in place, so far no government has proven that they can do so, or that they even recognise that is what the issue is.

Yep! Agree

bit sad with what's going on that we are here discussing what ' breeds' we are afraid of and what breeds are genetically aggressive. Way to help the govt.

What happened to blame the deed!

Hey!! Why doesn't someone start a list of dog breeds that can be dug up and used by the Govt/authorities/media/whoever down the track, that they might use as extra back-up (fallible though it is, but what does the Government care when it's their own point they like to defend) when they're looking for more breeds to pick-on and throw to the slaughter, to escape the heat?

Oh :o.

Somebody already did.

Zuri I'm sorry but I think it a little naive to think that no ANKC breed could ever be targeted. History proves this wrong. It has already happened with the GSD.

Not something I am keen to ever see again. So forgive me if I don't just sit back and say it will never happen to my breed so why care.

The only dogs I'm wary of are generally anything small that is in the owner's arms or on their lap... and anything that looks frightened or hurt. Breed doesn't actually come into the equation...

That said, if a dog is wandering the streets and is in danger of being injured further, I will try to coax it to me rather than see that happen.

T.

I am scared of Rottweilers.

They are dogs that were forged by the devil himself in the very depths of hell. They enjoy the taste of human flesh and have a keen sense of smell for our blood. Or so The Omen has led me to believe.

This is true! Can't you see the evilness??

china-escape1.jpg

Regardless of the breed, I am weary of any dog I don't know. Any breed of dog can have an undesirable temperament, not just large breed dogs or small dogs, even those medium sized dogs can be a bit 'off'.

They are dogs that were forged by the devil himself in the very depths of hell. They enjoy the taste of human flesh and have a keen sense of smell for our blood. Or so The Omen has led me to believe.

This is true! Can't you see the evilness??

china-escape1.jpg

OMG, she's so nasty she will kill me with her cuteness ;) I love how she's trying to eat her way out of her crate. Jett is nearly 4 and still thinks she can lick the crate open.....mind you, she can live open the back sliding door if I don't snob the lock properly :rofl:

OMG, me too. I am also scared of all St Bernard dogs named Cujo, they are all rabid and will kill everyone!!! ;)

Souff is wary of men with red hair, and snakes.

Horrible things, both of them.

Have nasty memories of both and will cross the street not to be anywhere near them.

Toads also are in Souff's bad books ... there is just no need to have those ugly things so cant we just nuke them all?

I spose there will always be things that I don't like and things that I do like.

I don't like those cars that look like they were made in the 1940s but had a revival here a few years ago - people paid big money for them I hear, but I think they are just plain ugly. Cant nuke them too I suppose?

Souff is not really wary of any dog breed.

Am more wary of some of the owners really, and very wary of people who give breeds a bad name.

:rofl:

:winner:

I dont have a fear of any breed, having worked in a boarding kennel for 4 years and bitten a few times or wary of a few dogs, however I see this as no reflection on any breed as a whole at all....I would not own certain breeds because of breed traits I dont particularly like or think I could live with, but thats personal preference not being wary :)

I dont have a fear of any breed, having worked in a boarding kennel for 4 years and bitten a few times or wary of a few dogs, however I see this as no reflection on any breed as a whole at all....I would not own certain breeds because of breed traits I dont particularly like or think I could live with, but thats personal preference not being wary :)

+ 1

There are many breeds that I do not think I will ever own, bully breeds amongst them. This is nothing against the breed itself. In fact I have meet quite a few that are a glorious example of their breed and a credit to their owners but what I am after in a dog differs from what these guys have to offer. Never say never though, I used to not particularly like Greyhounds and I am now quite close to fostering/adopting one! I am smitten :heart: .

I personally thing the recent hysteria regarding certain breeds comes mainly down to ignorance. Education is the key. One big wet kiss from one of those gorgeous Rotti's we have just seen wouldn't have to melt even the hardest heart. Sigh...one day I would LOVE to own one. So many breeds...not enough time.

I have been fearful of GSD's my whole life after being surrounded by a pack of them and nipped at 4years of age. Luckily that fear didnt translate to a fear of all dogs, jsut of GSDs. I was also bitten by a friend's relatives GSD a few years ago. I had specifically asked that the dog be outside as I explained Iw as fearful of the breed. One of the ppl living there let the dog inside, I swear it smelled my fear as it instantly jumped up on em and gave me a warning bite. Loads of bruising but no skin broken.

I have seen some stunning GSD's at shows and while I can appreciate how beautiful they are I sill wont pat one.

I am also wary of cattle dogs and bullterriers, and will always ask an owner of they are friendly before I will appraoch anywhere near the dog. Again due to negative experiences with both breeds, though i have to say Ive also met some wonderful bullies :)

I am just wary of any medium to large dogs that are wandering by themselves or are left in unsecured front yards with no owner in sight. After being bailed up by 2 barking/snarling unattended dogs in a front yard across the road and bitten by one of them, a dog of any description with no owner around makes my heart race and my legs turn to jelly.

yep, me too..even SWF that come launching themselves at you with no owner in sight!!

Have you read the laws?

Do you know them well for what they read, or are you reading and conjuring your own interpretation of them?

You're incorrect, Zuri.

The laws have changed in that dogs fitting a description are targets. The Govt knows PB's don't have a record of DNA markers. Contrary to your assertion, it's not about "blood". You might well trust your Council officer (both present and future and regardless of experience, intent etc) but I'm not gonna.

It is wrong to put laws into place where people have no control over whether they can abide by them or not. Think outside the square is my recommendation, Zuri. At the moment, you've boxed yourself in so that you can't see the big picture.

ETA: You able to answer to the requests I've posted? IE Links to show evidence of BSL proving to be a success? And also, what State you reside in?

Edited by Erny