Not Dogs (but Meercats Are Close) And It's A Lovely Idea

Boronia

Yep, I saw this on the news last night and thought what a great idea for the kids. :)

I saw the footage, too. The meercats are so cute. The senior doctor who was being interviewed was as enthusiastic as a big kid himself! It was delightful.

I hope they keep the cage clean.

One pub-restaurant I used to go to has a large bird avairy in the middle of it. The sides around where the diners sit are glass so no birdy stuff can get where you're eating, but the cage itself is filthy - the windows are covered in gunk, and it's full of bird crap like they never clean it and I can't dine there any more.

Hope it all goes well - lovely enclosure and will give the kids something to think about. I love meerkats but they aren't necessarily all sweetness and light so I hope they don't end up traumatising the kids with an outbreak of violence.

I hope they keep the cage clean.

being that it is in a Hospital, and that experienced Zoo staff are responsible , I would have no doubts ! :)

I can tell you that it'll be kept to the same high standards we keep them in the zoo. The nursing staff, sponsors all love it and spend time just 'having a look' while we're there feeding and servicing the exhibit. It'll be a great distraction for the 600+ kids who'll go through outpatients daily.

This group is a non breeding group, it is also a very stable family group so outbreaks of violence or aggression will be very infrequent and when it does occur it is short live, lasting only a few seconds.

There is interest from other hospitals around the world. The aquarium at RCH is also awesome! We are in a unique position due to the zoo's proximity to the hospital means it's a short walk across the park.