Urgent Help For Female Gsd X - Needs A New Home/foster Care

• Replies 274
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've just seen the positive updates and photos, and was doing all in my power not to have a little cry as I'm at work, but seeing that photo of her in the doorway just took me over the edge.

Well done team Ellie!! :thanks:

She looks so happy - great foster home or has she found her forever home? Just so nice not to see her tied up but included as one of the family and allowed to roam around the yard to do as she pleases.

Ellie's first week has shown her going from strength to strength in her happiness levels!

She has learned to be inside the house, sleep on her bed in the laundry - even during the middle of the horrendous storm we had this week!

She has also been playing as the week has gone on, she was a bit mystified to begin with which is hardly surprising.

The on lead walking has been a bit of a challenge so the PAWS behaviouralist has been out for a visit and provided lots of valuable tips etc. A different harness will be very helpful and more training.

I had another enquiry on her yesterday but the behaviouralist recommends 2-3 more weeks of allowing her to adjust from her life on the rope, it will take a while. The enquirer is willing to wait - they are actually right near Juice!

Yay I"m glad she is thriving and that she isn't being rushed into a home. I'd just hate for her to go to one and then have to be rehomed again. Sounds like working on the walking part is a good thing too. Wish mine wasn't such a puller at times. LOL

Also happy to hear she is sleeping indoors and did well with the storm. Such a good girl :-)

I found that Ellie was not too bad walking on a harness - pretty easy to correct when she wanted to go say hello to the silly cattle dog making a racket from his yard too.

But then, I'm used to working with big dogs - and Pickles is all over the place when she goes for a walk - can run straight just fine, but walking pace is a whole different ballgame... *grin*

T.

So glad to hear Ellie is doing so well. :thumbsup:

T, I still have your harness in my car too. :)

Also Cynthia (Mother Moocher :wave: ) emailed to suggest the family try Ellie with a halti when walking. I haven't had much experience with them personally but I have heard some positive stories about them. :)

From Cyn herself

A harness doesn’t stop a dog from pulling, but a halti will. From personal experience as a volunteer dog walker in a pound, I can guarantee that if the people persevere and have it fitted properly, they will be walking Ellie on a loose lead within a day or two. When I used a halti on some of the real pullers in the pound (who were locked up, in the dark, for 23 hours each and every day !!!!), I could walk malamutes, shepherds, kelpies, anything. Because they were pound dogs and we were responsible for their safety, we used to double lead them in case they slipped the halti which they did from time to time. We had a lead with a check chain and then the lead with the halti. I recall one dog, a really energetic kelpie, who used to be frantic, naturally, when she was released from the kennel. I used to wander around the neighbourhood with her just holding both leads, loosely, in one hand, because I would give her a good run and then just hold both leads loosely and she was as happy as anything to walk alongside me.

:thanks: Cyn.

When I walked Ellie on the harness, we were loose lead most of the time - she actually heels really well. The only time she tried to pull with me was when a cattle dog in it's own yard went stupid with barking, etc, and Ellie wanted to go and say hello - one sharp tug and an "uh!" from me and she corrected pretty darned well.

Another trick (I learned from here on DOL) is to use a longer lead and loop some of it so it so it hangs down in front of the chest - the sensation of something there actually slows up the inclination to pull. It has worked on a few dogs that I've tried it with when I haven't had anything else to use. The trick is to have the loop loose in front of the chest, not tight.

T.

t, I use this method too.

Alternatively if you have a long lead you can swing the end with your right hand (if dog is on your left) like a pendulum in front of the dog or use a circular motion like a lassoo. This will stop it from pulling & automatically puts the dog in the right position with its shoulder at your leg. Immediately she is in position make sure to treat her. I would also use a 'watch' or 'look' command, lure her with a treat, to get Ellie walking beside you & looking up at you for direction.

Personally I don't like haltis, a dog can too easily flip over & do cervical spine damage.

Ellie sounds very happy in her new home, she's been helping with the gardening and other chores and can be found snoring so loudly on her beanbag in the loungeroom at night that the TV volume has to be increased.

Hoping to visit Ellie in a week or two. :)

lmao omg go ellie lol. i got an email from denise today updating me on ellies progress. it was so lovely to receive the email with a progress repirt. im so glad shes doing so well